ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
ARK EXPANDER - Version 1.01 - (small update)
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
malictus  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 6:46 pm    Post subject: ARK EXPANDER - Version 1.01 - (small update) Reply with quote

ARK EXPANDER Version 1.01 - Added 7/25/2007

ARK EXPANDER is a simple program that will expand a Guitar Hero ARK file into a number of individual folders and files, and alternatively turn these files back into an ARK file.

DOWNLOAD
ARK EXPANDER 1.01 (23KB) Runnable Jar File.
ARK EXPANDER Source Code (11KB)

Version 1.01 fixes a small problem in Version 1.00 that required some users to change their ARK and HDR filenames to upper case in order to expand.

COMPATIBLE WITH
Guitar Hero 1, Guitar Hero 2, and Guitar Hero Rocks The 80's (NTSC AND PAL) - PS 2 Versions ONLY (Not compatible with XBOX 360 Version)

INSTALLATION
- Written in 100% pure Java, and should run on any Windows or Mac OS X capable of running Java.
- Uses Java 1.5. You can update your machine to the latest Java version by visiting www.java.com.
- To run, simply unzip the download, and double-click on the file named 'ark_expander_1_01.jar'.

HOW TO USE
- This program will take an ARK file (along with its associated HDR file), and expand it into its component files. Also, it will take an expanded folder, and turn it back into an ARK file.
- To use, simply specify the folder that contains your ARK file (or will contain it), and specify the folder that contains (or will contain) your expanded files. When expanding an ARK file, the specified expansion folder must be empty to begin with.
- VERY IMPORTANT - You may alter any of the expanded files, but you must not rename any of them, or add new files. If you do, your ARK file will not work.

MINI-FAQ
- Will this program let me add custom songs to Guitar Hero?
Not by itself. If you know what you are doing, you can substitute the appropriate MIDI and VGS files, but this program offers no conversion capabilities. This program is designed primarily for those wishing to experiment, and not for users looking for an easy way to substitute songs.
- Will this program let me change the names of the songs, or edit other Guitar Hero parameters?
Again, not by itself. However, once you have extracted all the files, you can use other programs such as the GH2 DTB Editor to edit the appropriate files, then re-create the ARK file using this program.

DEVELOPERS NOTES
- There are directories in the original directory structure with names like '..'. These are unix references to a parent folder. Since you cannot name a folder '..', I have used the substitution 'dotdot' for these directory names.
- Since there are references in the HDR file to strings that are not files, I found it necessary to retain the original header file and edit it, rather than rebuilding it from scratch. The header file is placed into the expanded folder at the root level.

THANKS
- Thanks to the customs community at scorehero, and special thanks to Riff who decoded the ARK format.

LEGAL
- This is freeware, and is freely distributable. The code is reusable in other projects, although I would appreciate a PM to let me know that you are using it.
- I do not now, nor will I ever, post any actual files from the Guitar Hero game, or any copyrighted music files. My software is intended for use only by legal owners of a Guitar Hero game who wish to use this software for experimentation. I am not associated with any of the creators of the Guitar Hero games.

Last edited by malictus on Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:24 am; edited 7 times in total
biohazard64  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: ARK EXPANDER - Version 0.01 ready for testing Reply with quote

Hello, this program will let me extract the files from the main.ark of both amplitude and frequency from ps2 games?? (previus harmonix games).
malictus  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 12:58 am    Post subject: Re: ARK EXPANDER - Version 0.01 ready for testing Reply with quote

biohazard64 wrote:
Hello, this program will let me extract the files from the main.ark of both amplitude and frequency from ps2 games?? (previus harmonix games).

I have no idea since I don't own those games, but it's certainly possible if they didn't change the file format. There's nothing in the program that's specific to Guitar Hero. Maybe you could try it and let me know...
mclarenkid69  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i didn't not get a jar file with my download.
inimitable  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Malictus, I've regularly gotten a bad download (I tried a few times today). I think the upload may be bad.

Newest custom chart: Avantasia - The Tower (RB3 Full Band)
malictus  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

inimitable wrote:
Malictus, I've regularly gotten a bad download (I tried a few times today). I think the upload may be bad.

Hmm, I keep trying (from various computers) and I'm getting the correct file every time. However, the domain name is just a few days old, so it's entirely likely that the domain name isn't resolving correctly everywhere. I'll try to find an alternate place to host it temporarily. In the meantime, keep trying...

Last edited by malictus on Thu Jun 14, 2007 5:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
revert  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Works fine. I am running a Mac Powerbook G4 (non-intel).
mclarenkid69  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't get a .JAR file to run?
nath247  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you cant get the JAR file to run by double clicking, go to run, type CMD and hit enter and navigate to the folder where you downloaded the JAR to and type

Code:
java -jar ark_expander_0_01.jar

If you have java installed it should run it as an executable
FallenSeraph  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

not sure if this is considered a bug but when i first tried this out i was confused what "ARK Folder" and "Expanded Folder" text fields and i was putting the direct path to .ARK file. Then for the expanded folder i was just putting the path to an empty folder on my desktop.

When i hit Expand ARK the status bar window thing would pop up but it wouldnt do anything. When i hit cancel it wouldnt do anything. To close the program i had to use the task manager to end it.

anyways, from what i see it works perfectly when you put the right paths in the text fields.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: FallenSeraph214
dho  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not a bug. It likely looks for the main_0.ark file and the main.hdr files in the folder that you give it. One of those files without the other is useless; you need them both to do anything.

That said, it ran fine for me in OS X.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: dhobsd ICQ Number
FallenSeraph  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dho wrote:
It's not a bug. It likely looks for the main_0.ark file and the main.hdr files in the folder that you give it. One of those files without the other is useless; you need them both to do anything.

the buggy part was that it locks up when i entered wrong paths.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: FallenSeraph214
malictus  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FallenSeraph wrote:
dho wrote:

the buggy part was that it locks up when i entered wrong paths.

This is fixed in the new version.
Zilcho  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: ARK EXPANDER - Version 1.00 - COMPLETE Reply with quote

malictus wrote:

ARK EXPANDER is a simple program that will expand a Guitar Hero ARK file into a number of individual folders and files, and alternatively turn these folders back into an ARK file.

O.o you're saying that it will open an ark into viewable files in windows explorer?

if so, i may be able to find a way to add song to the list...
I'm callin' in sick today
nath247  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may be possible, but as said on the first post, not to add stuff as it will mess the ARK up.

Quote:
- VERY IMPORTANT - You may alter any of the expanded files, but you must not rename any of them, or add new files. If you do, your ARK file will not work.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Software All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: