ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Pull-Offs over Hammer-Ons
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Guitar/Bass
View previous topic :: View next topic  
daeyeth  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:02 am    Post subject: Pull-Offs over Hammer-Ons Reply with quote

I was wondering about the practical use of pull-offs. When is it more efficient to use a pull-off? I find it so difficult to use pull-offs in the middle of a song. I can't ever figure out a part in a song where I would actually want to use a pull-off over a hammer-on since hammer-ons are much easier to "wing it". I guess the real question is, do you ever actually NEED to use pull-offs for any off the expert songs or can you get by with hammer-ons?
Huwonk  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Pull-Offs over Hammer-Ons Reply with quote

daeyeth wrote:
I was wondering about the practical use of pull-offs. When is it more efficient to use a pull-off? I find it so difficult to use pull-offs in the middle of a song. I can't ever figure out a part in a song where I would actually want to use a pull-off over a hammer-on since hammer-ons are much easier to "wing it". I guess the real question is, do you ever actually NEED to use pull-offs for any off the expert songs or can you get by with hammer-ons?

Many top players never use either. They strum every single note (even grace notes).

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I find grace notes to be one of the most obnoxious of things to try and hammer on. I miss them probably 90% of the time, probably more where it's B-O or some other 3-4 fingered pair. I've gotten quite used to strumming both.

Riz.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best place to use pulloffs for me are the parts in Texas Flood on expert where it goes BYRG really fast...I never miss 'em when I use a PO

"The resistance that you fight physically in the gym and the resistance that you fight in life can only build a strong character." - Arnold
ES942  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

why, you motorboatin' son of a b**ch, i can't ever do pulloffs...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JHetfield0816 wrote:
Best place to use pulloffs for me are the parts in Texas Flood on expert where it goes BYRG really fast...I never miss 'em when I use a PO

Guess what happens to me with those parts since I strum about everything...
COBW3BB  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use pull-offs a lot more than hammer-ons. I always strum such things as the GRYB at the beginning of Farewell Myth on expert. Hammer-ons just aren't very responsive for me or reliable at all. But for solos like Iron Man on expert, I think it's pretty much necessary to use pull offs unless you want your forearm to ache for hours.

SThorpe  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hammer on pulloffs, like not holding anything down, and it works, but I need to learn how to do it properly, I use HOPOs as much as I can, cos it's fun
popemobile  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i use pulloffs in Take it off, Ziggy Stardust and Thunderkiss 65, and i use Hammers and Pulloffs in Frankenstein and Texas Flood trills
SThorpe  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always wished there was an unlockable mode where every note is white topped, so you could go through the whole song barely strumming
JHetfield0816  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ES942 wrote:

LOL...that's cause you play trombone

"The resistance that you fight physically in the gym and the resistance that you fight in life can only build a strong character." - Arnold
HylianHero  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only time I use pull-offs on purpose is...well, actually, never. I should probably try it for the BatM solo, but since I've 5-starred TF on Expert all down strumming (except for the super long O streak), I think I'm ok for now.

I'm sure I accidentally use PO's all the time, but for some reason, anytime I conciously try to do it I mess it up.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol... like in Higher Ground on Hard, right at the end, sometimes i get those YBYRGs (God knows how ) and then most times i don't. I need a practise mode...
MrTaco  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suck tremendously at HO's and PO's, that's why I rarely use them to begin with. Then again, I'm not that good at strumming either, except for parts like in Unsung where you can't fail them. I guess that's why I suck at quite a few of the songs. Like, I rarely nail that YBY part in Symphony of Destruction on Expert, which I guess would be easier to do with a HO-PO. It's just too fast to do for me, I end up screwing it up almost every single time. I guess that's why my score is so darn low on that song.
popemobile  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JHetfield0816 wrote:
ES942 wrote:

LOL...that's cause you play trombone

i thought it was Krim who played Trombone...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Guitar/Bass All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: