View previous topic :: View next topic  
Genga  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds basic :P
DarkKnight720  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Genga wrote:
speaking of which

what do you have to do across the pond to get a licence?

Well, in Michigan, you must be 16 to drive (Licence= 16th B-day), but you can get a driving permit when your 15 to drive with an adult in the car {above 18 years old}.
Those above are only if you've taken classes offered by schools/city
Only another year for me til I get my permit

Genga  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so what do you do to take your test, just the same here i guess, show you can drive?
DarkKnight720  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Genga wrote:
so what do you do to take your test, just the same here i guess, show you can drive?

Well, both in a way. You have to take a 50 question {I beleive, but I coudl be wrong}, most of those questions being easy like "A car is in front of you, stopped, on a passing street, with a car coming 50 feet away, otherwise the street is empty...do you
A) Wait for the car coming towards you to go by
B) Pass Now
C) Wait until the car ahead starts again"

And you do have to drive, but only from one point, to another, and back to the first.

So, yea, thats it...

Genga  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

we get that here too, its 34 questions and its called the "Theory" you gotta pass this before you do the actual test

theres a thing called "Hazard Preception" too, where a video camera is in a car filming the road, and you gotta click everytime you see something which could be hazardous to your driving e.g. a car suddenly pulling out in front of you
DarkKnight720  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that last part sounds a lot better than the test part

Genga  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, but you gotta notice it like way down the road, the quicker you notice it, the more points you need
Shadow  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, at least this topic partially explains why the Americans are the world's worst drivers... :P

A random (relatively big) amount of theory lessons, 30 driving lessons (15 hours) plus the slippery course and the lesson of driving in the dark, theory test with images and questions and a driving test that will fail you for the slightest traffic violation or endangerment on the road. Got the licence on the first attempt, haven't been in danger due to my own lack of skills - Once almost* got rammed by a Mercedes-driver who was talking on the phone without hands-free -system (mandatory) and he didn't pay attention to others while changing lanes... Turd.

* = Wasn't even close, but I did want to give that guy a good ol' punch in the face for his idiocy.
JCirri  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My uncle just came back from doing business in India and was telling me how they drive over there.

Check it out... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4NDa3OWYls

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Ohio you can get your temps when you're 15 1/2. You have to take an easy test and get 30 out of 40 questions correct. Then you're supposed to drive for 50 hours, have a parent sign a form stating you did so. Then you either take classes (24 hours of class room time where you watch drunk driver accidents and such...safety videos). Then you do In-Cars in which you drive for 2 hours a day with an instructor. Then you can go take your driver's license test. In which you drive around with someone yada yada yada. Or you can wait til you're 18 and you don't have to do the classes and you save 400$. That's the gist of it.

Genga  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i wish it was that easy here!
schzoidbaka  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here in Cali:
You can get
Permit = 15 1/2
License = 16

let's see... Must pass driver's ed, and enrolled for driver's training before you can get a permit. Must have permit for 6 months and have a least 40 hours of driving, 10 hours or so driving in the dark. Must take and pass written test. Later must pass driving test.

First couple of tries on tests are free, after that, some price under $10, you can retake the test up to 3 times?

Oh also, with the new law, you have to wait 1 year after getting your license, before you can drive minors without a person over 25.

I'm not sure if the numbers are acurate. I dont have my permit yet, and I dont really care.

Genga  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may as well tell ours here:

You send off for your provisional Licence when youre 17. This allows you to get driving lessons and/or get lessons by someone over 25 whos been driving for 3+ years. While this is going on, you must learn your Theory and Hazard Preception. This sets you back £25 (each lesson averages about £20 and its best to get at least 12 under your belt, so thats £265 already). You need to get at least 80% of the theory if I remember (asking questions about what to do for road safety and what road signs mean) and over 44 points on your Hazard Preception (watch videos on a computer and you click the mouse when you notice a hazard happening (a man on a bike in the distance, click it as soon as you notice him, a car swerving onto your side of the road, etc). After you pass this, you get a certificate, and you have 2 years to pass your driving test.

Your driving test is another £50, and you are asked to read a number plate from about 20 metres away, you have to open the bonnet and youre asked questions about checking oil, where to put engine coolant and such, you may also be asked about lights on the car and/or tires. When you drive, you listen to the examiner and he will tell you where to go, when to stop and what to do. You have to peform 3 of the following: 3-point turn (facing one way in the road, you come out over one side, reverse back and carry on going the way you just came), reversing around a corner, reverse parking or emergency stop. Of course you have to be on your toes the whole time with observation, correct use of gears and so on.

If you done well enough (and drove safely), you pass your test, this means they take your provisional card (which is green) and give you your full licence (which is pink)

youre then a driver ;D
Anthony  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shadow wrote:
Well, at least this topic partially explains why the Americans are the world's worst drivers... :P

Not even close. Any given third world country has much worse drivers than America. They don't even follow any set road rules.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anthony wrote:
Not even close. Any given third world country has much worse drivers than America. They don't even follow any set road rules.

I didn't mention them 'cause I didn't think they had cars.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: