Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
GUIDE: How to make a custom disc use a separate save file
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LocalH  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 6:28 pm    Post subject: GUIDE: How to make a custom disc use a separate save file Reply with quote

This guide assumes you can already extract and replace files in a GH2 ARK, as well as build and burn a custom ISO. If not, please read up on that before attempting.

1) Extract mc.dtb from config/gen
2) Load it in the DTB editor
3) Change base_dir to another value (to stay with PS2 standards I used BASLUS-66601)
4) Change elf_name to another value (to stay with PS2 standards I used SLUS_666.01)
5) Replace mc.dtb in the ARK with your modified copy
6) Outside of the ARK, rename the main ELF file in the root, to match the value set in step 4
7) Outside of the ARK, load SYSTEM.CNF into a text editor and change the referenced ELF filename to the value in step 4
8) Build the IML in CDVDGEN as usual, but use your new SLUS ID for that
9) Build the ISO using your normal method (I use Apache2)
10) Burn
11) Test, the game should act like there is no save file on the memcard at all, and after creating one, original GH2 should boot like normal

I have tested this myself and I now have two separate GH2 save files on my card. I have yet to find out where to change the actual game name displayed in the PS2 browser, if anyone figures that out feel free to post it here and I'll edit the main post to reflect that info.

Edit: For anyone who doesn't quite understand step 6 and 7, the "ELF file" on the NTSC version of the game is the "SLUS_*.*" file in the root of the game disc, you'll need to rename it in your favorite file manager (Windows Explorer, Directory Opus, whatever you normally use). In the SYSTEM.CNF file you'll need to change the SLUS_214.47 part to whatever you renamed the actual file to. Technically, I'm not sure you even need to stay with the SLUS_*.* standard, but I have not done any testing on that.

Alakaiser sez: POST BECAUSE YOU HAVE SOMETHING TO SAY, NOT BECAUSE YOU HAVE TO SAY SOMETHING.

Last edited by LocalH on Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:23 am; edited 3 times in total
Gazler2  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am assuming the ELF file is the SLES_544.42 (For PAL) SLUS_214.47 (For NTSC?)

Great find, I will get this one prepared for my next custom.
LocalH  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. I'm unsure what happens if you change the SLUS/SLES part, it may work, it may not. If you feel like changing it to something completely different, let us know how it works. I chose 66601 to help minimize clashes with other games, I figure the 01 can actually be anything from 00-99 if it's restricted to numerals.

Alakaiser sez: POST BECAUSE YOU HAVE SOMETHING TO SAY, NOT BECAUSE YOU HAVE TO SAY SOMETHING.
Gazler2  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, initially I was going to copy a file from another import and rename it to SLUS214.47, but this is a much more secure method. I am out of decent DVD's at the moment, so I can't test just now.
Horscht  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

the Pal elf is named SLES_544.42

yet, in DBT Editor, opening the mc.dbt file shows, that base_dir and elf_name are set to BASLUS-21447 and SLUS_214.47 already.

yet, it stores it's info in a different location on the mc (i have a original US savegame and an original PAL savegame coexisting on the memory card)

would it still work nonetheless?
4512jth  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look in gh2_pal.dtb and try editing the mc part in there. I live in the U.S., so I can't test.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Hertz4512
Nava  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sounds intriguing, but what would the benefit of having it load different save be, unless you created a way to choose which save file loads maybe? I might have to look into this...
volrathxp  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great guide LocalH, I'll try it out with my next disc.
Gazler2  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The benefit would be you could have a different save file for each custom and the original, so you could keep high scores from each Guitar Hero you make on the same memory card. You could also play your own career for each custom on the same memory card.
joerod  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad your trial worked, LocalH!

I plan on implementing this on all my future disc (and maybe redoing my old ones like this, too!)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obviously just creating a new band will solve your problem.
Gazler2  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yxalag42 wrote:
Obviously just creating a new band will solve your problem.

Yeah, but the high scores list in quick play are affected.
Nava  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think i may have found how to change the name of the save file, i will update in a few after i test it out.
LocalH  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're talking about gh2.dtb/rnd(82)/title(83), then that won't work, I already tried it =P

The title as seen in the PS2 browser is "Guitar Hero II". I did a full search through the dtbs and didn't find it. However, I did a search in Hex Workshop through the main elf file, and found the string "Guitar Hero II" at offset 0x3175960, and it is near other memcard-related things, so I may have hit pay dirt. Unfortunately, this may mean that we're limited to 14 characters for our title, but I think we can probably work with that creatively. I'd rather be limited to 14 chars than have to worry about seeing umpteen different "Guitar Hero II" saves and not knowing which is which, especially since the date seen in the browser is last write, not creation. If someone wants to try hacking that, feel free, I'll do it sometime tomorrow if noone beats me to it. Make DOUBLY SURE that you only overwrite, do NOT insert or remove any bytes, this is playing around smack in the middle of the PS2's machine code itself, one byte's addition or removal will most likely cause the whole game to break. If your string is shorter just pad with spaces, if it's longer abbreviate something or choose another title.

If anyone wants to try to hack the icon animation itself, check here for the data format. There's also this for a simple BMP-to-icon tool.

Nava  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, localh I tried what you said and it works. I didn't add or subtract any bytes, I will attempt that next, and tell you what happens.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Software All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: