Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
When will atheists outnumber faithful?
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gizzal  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 10:09 pm    Post subject: When will atheists outnumber faithful? Reply with quote

With the scientific advances that support science and disprove religion appearing every day and more and more people declaring themselves atheists, I got to wondering.

I know that religion will never completely go away, but I have strong thoughts that more people will question their faiths, give up religion, and raise their children to make their own spiritual choices (which will produce more, since a good amount of religious people are forcefed since birth and believe in fear).

I myself think that within the next 50-100 years, atheism or agnosticism (they are two completely separate things, remember) will become more widely accepted and maybe even become the majority.

What do you think?

This has probably been done before, search bar said differently, but I am a jackass, so who knows.
thecaptainof  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In answer to the topic title: soon, hopefully.

I'm fucking sick of people pushing their religion in my face. I have no interest in it, I don't believe in it. However... I am a firm believer in the terms 'live and let live' and 'to each his own'; I don't tell people what they believe is wrong so I expect the same courtesy in return.

yksi-kaksi-kolme wrote:
Wow Mr. Mad, who fucked your buffalo?
gionta1222  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nevermind..................

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who cares as long as the one good thing about religion (moral values) stays with people? Not saying athiests are horrible people, but the moral values we have today stem from religion, even if you don't believe in a God. Quite frankly you can worship the acorn that fell on your head as a child and I wouldn't care less as long as you weren't a jerk.

Note to people, I'm not heavily religious, so don't take this an attack on non-religious people.

1. Toxicity - System of a Down (now impossible?)
2. Paradise Lost - Symphony X
3. Octavarium - Dream Theater
4. Train of Thought - Dream Theater
5. You Could Have It So Much Better - Franz Ferdinand
RyuBlitz  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 11:09 pm    Post subject: Re: When will atheists outnumber faithful? Reply with quote

Gizzal wrote:
With the scientific advances that support science and disprove religion appearing every day and more and more people declaring themselves atheists, I got to wondering.

For the sake of discussion, do you have any specific articles to back up that claim? Though I'm kinda busy at the moment, I'd be up for a good discussion of these topics, and whether or not they truly count against religion.

Oh, also...
thecaptainof wrote:
I'm fucking sick of people pushing their religion in my face. I have no interest in it, I don't believe in it. However... I am a firm believer in the terms 'live and let live' and 'to each his own'; I don't tell people what they believe is wrong so I expect the same courtesy in return.

Please keep in mind that the people who are shoving their religion at others do not properly represent the rest of us; they are just annoyingly loud and, in all honesty, kinda defeat the point of what they're trying to do.

-Ryu

P.S. Please, please, please... let's keep this a serious topic... Flaming will do no good here.

Join GatheringofGamers.com TODAY!
Gizzal  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 11:19 pm    Post subject: Re: When will atheists outnumber faithful? Reply with quote

RyuBlitz wrote:
Gizzal wrote:

For the sake of discussion, do you have any specific articles to back up that claim? Though I'm kinda busy at the moment, I'd be up for a good discussion of these topics, and whether or not they truly count against religion.

Oh, also...
thecaptainof wrote:

Please keep in mind that the people who are shoving their religion at others do not properly represent the rest of us; they are just annoyingly loud and, in all honesty, kinda defeat the point of what they're trying to do.

-Ryu

P.S. Please, please, please... let's keep this a serious topic... Flaming will do no good here.

To your first statement, I really just meant the entire study and findings of evolution in general (to the extent where it is still a theory, but almost a proven fact) and the fact that no scientific concrete evidence has been found to support a supernatural creator. I found a good video a few days ago that helps disprove the Christian god found here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibMY7xG9O4s

Also, I know exactly where you are coming from saying that people who force beliefs don't illustrate all of you, fact forcing atheists annoy me just as much as religious people who do the exact same thing.
thecaptainof  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 11:28 pm    Post subject: Re: When will atheists outnumber faithful? Reply with quote

Gizzal wrote:
Also, I know exactly where you are coming from saying that people who force beliefs don't illustrate all of you, fact forcing atheists annoy me just as much as religious people who do the exact same thing.

Indeed. As I say, to each his own, and I don't think anyone has the right to force their views upon anyone, regardless of what they may be.

yksi-kaksi-kolme wrote:
Wow Mr. Mad, who fucked your buffalo?
Jumboshrmp  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's hope this thread can stay civil.

I don't like anyone pushing their beliefs on others. Beliefs are just that, and you cannot (and it bugs me when people try to) change people like that.

I'm a firm believer in God, go to church, and so on. But I also don't take every bit of the bible word for word. That being said I'm still torn between creation and big bang/insert other theory here.

I'm a very open person, I can accept the possibility of intelligent life elsewhere. I also do believe what scientists are finding out. I DO believe in evolution. However, just because I believe in evolution doesn't mean I don't believe we are created by God. The way I see it, is that the entire process was part of his plan. Regardless of what anyone proves, I refuse to believe that we exist because of an accident.

I hope we all can maintain our own faith, and we can all respect each other at the same time. And I have no problem with someone being an atheist as long as they aren't an ass about it.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know what you guys mean...ever since I was born, literally, I've been going to the same Lutheran church. (If you must know, it's a WELS synod church, but that's not the point). I went to the school right across the street from the church from Pre-K to 8th grade, and now I go to the public highschool.

Yeah, I'm your average "holy" that was technically forced to go hear about God every week day of the school year. We talked about it a bit in one of my HS classes, where eventually as teenagers, you start to question the reality presented to you. I'm a firm "believer" in God, but at the same time, I have no problem with hanging out with Catholics, Methodists, Atheists, and the like. No problem.

Another thing, is that yes, everyone hates it when they have something shoved at them that they don't appreciate. I can't stand people who go around saying you have to "accept God"...sure I'm a Christian, but I don't go around yelling it to the world....religion's a group thing, yeah, but it's also a personal thing, which is what I appreciate about it the most...religion's one of those things that you can deal with yourself sometimes, the personal part is just as much comfort as the group part too.

So to stay remotely on topic with the original post, I wouldn't doubt atheism will eventually outnumber belief in God and the like, but I don't think that means there will be a significant loss of "Gid-fearing" beliefs. *shrug*.

Yeah. That's my typing for the day.
Awarded to the competiters with the lowest ever score differential in a single play-off bracket. During the semi-finals of the Season 3 playoffs, Hackelmania defeated NineInchNails by 1 point (284,654 vs 284,653) on Rock This Town (Hard) to advance to the finals.
Matt  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have my cursor over the lock button; while I have no problem with debates, this is being locked as soon as it becomes a flame war.

But for the record, I will say that some of what was scientific fact 500 years ago is proven false today (for example, the fact that the sun revolved around the earth). Science is an ever evolving thing, trying to fit itself to the universe we live in. And until the day it finally gets everything 100% right, science will not be 100% true.

I also watched the video, and while one can make arguments against the existence of God all day, you can not actually disprove Him scientifically (just as we cannot prove Him, either). This is the whole basis behind faith.
Mark 8:36
Nescio486  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i like how this thread is staying seirious.

i am a christian and i am a firm beleiver in the crucifiction and how jesus rose from the dead. i have no problem with people being athiest, as long as they do not rip on other peoples religeon. in my opinion, i do not think athiest with over come the faithful. i do not think people should always beleive in science. but hey, maybe it will happen someday. nobody knows the future exept god. again i thank you gize at score hero for keeping this thread civilized.

The monster under your bed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Ace Of Sp4des x
Equilix  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think alot of people believe that Religion is what causes violence everywhere, and if you look at it in the Middle East it does seem that way. However, if you were to take it completely out of the picture we as humans naturally want to come up with something that explains our existance, and when people come up with different ideas, people pick sides and we're basically back to square one, just with a different belief religion or not.
voivod84  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a firm Christian, and a believer in Jesus. The thing I don't approve of is when some people treat you differently, even hate you, once they find out what faith you are. I makes me sick that people can possibly think about doing that. I am not refering to everyone. In fact I have only heard one example of that, but I'm sure there are more. I do not have a problem with other religions, just to clarify that. Soooo, that's my view on this topic. (Glad no flaming is happening. That would make me angry, because as I just said, I don't approve of that)
GallantPugly  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Equilix wrote:
I think alot of people believe that Religion is what causes violence everywhere, and if you look at it in the Middle East it does seem that way. However, if you were to take it completely out of the picture we as humans naturally want to come up with something that explains our existance, and when people come up with different ideas, people pick sides and we're basically back to square one, just with a different belief religion or not.

True, religion has caused a good amount of war. But the wars that go on in the Middle East (not just the US war) aren't solely based on religion. MONEY. POWER, etc. Religion, sometimes, is used as an excuse to start a war when there are really other things going on.

I was extremely confused about religion, God, and all of that at one time. I actually thought of myself as a follower of scientology at until I asked myself "Who made science possible?"
Hackelmania13  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt wrote:
This is the whole basis behind faith.

Thanks for bringing up a good point Matt. That's true in things outside religion too, right? I mean come on...I have faith for someone to FC Jordan. I have faith for me to sink a 3 pointer in a big game. I have faith in God. What it all REALLY comes down to is the matter of faith. I HATE talking about stuff like this to be perfectly honest, but you obviously cannot prove OR disprove "faith", unless it's your own, obviously.
Awarded to the competiters with the lowest ever score differential in a single play-off bracket. During the semi-finals of the Season 3 playoffs, Hackelmania defeated NineInchNails by 1 point (284,654 vs 284,653) on Rock This Town (Hard) to advance to the finals.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 1 of 16

Jump to: