Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Star Power Optimization Script
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
youhas  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 1:59 am    Post subject: Star Power Optimization Script Reply with quote

As mentioned a while back, I was tinkering with a star power optimization script. Plink in all the notes and star power sequences; let Scripting Technology(tm) grind away at it for a bit; out comes a neat little brick of "when-to-activate" messages. Figured I'd at least clue everyone in on the results of that effort.

Call a "tick" the smallest unit of granularity you'd like to consider between potential SP activations. One tick every quarter beat works well enough for most songs. I've numbered the ticks for a test song - "Sail Your Ship By" on Medium - like so:
http://www.antwon.com/gh/sail-your-ship-by-2.png

I then painstakingly convert that series of notes into a tick-by-tick iteration of the notes, holds, and star power sequences in the song, which looks like this:
http://www.antwon.com/gh/SYSB_Medium.txt

At that point, fire up the script, and in five or ten minutes I get the following:
http://www.antwon.com/gh/SYSB_Medium_Results.txt
...a series of "ticks to activate SP on and the ticks that SP will be gone by" events. Which is good enough for 2nd place on Medium, and probably falls short only because of "implementation error" (read as: I don't squeeze notes perfectly and don't always whammy the shorter holds). (Not that I know for certain, of course.)

The script has some shortcomings. My culling algorithm is a touch overly aggressive, so I occasionally have to nudge the activations a tick or two later to get in a squeeze that it ignores. (That or turn off culling, which makes the script run for hours instead of minutes.) Notes are seen as single points instead of as they are, where there are note-hitting windows, which means that while it handles single-squeezes OK, double-squeeze opportunities are ignored. It also assumes, incorrectly, that SP can be activated instantaneously upon getting a half-bar. So it's not perfect, not by any means... but it works well enough for my purposes.

Originally, I was going to do the whole "extract the notes from the .iso and convert them into a script-accessible format" song-and-dance... but I'm just never going to find the time. Between that, the light shortcomings listed above, and that pretty much every Expert song has already been combed over by our resident SP-optimizing team, I kind of let things die out in the "proof of concept" stage you see above.

That said: if anyone wants to deal with the whole extract-the-notes side of the problem and/or has a solution to shove my way, please do. (And hell, if you want to laboriously hand-code some note charts of your own, I'll be happy to run the script against them and see what comes out - just shoot those text files my way and I'll run 'em through.)

Amusing the world 140 characters at a time: http://www.twitter.com/youhas
thekovinc  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is pretty awesome...

I should totally do something like this for GH II.... or you should :P

1226.png
youhas  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sort of hoping that all of the scoring and star power accrual/depletion logic stays more-or-less the same between GH1 and GH2 - then I can just draw up similar charts for GH2 songs and plug 'em on in. 'Cuz hell, the script's already written, and that's the challenging part; manually generating data to run through it is a massively tedious but not terribly difficult affair.

What I really hope is that when some enterprising soul (like JCirri) is doing the data-mining for GH2 note charts, I can piggyback onto their efforts. Because any sort of "here are all the notes in a big messy text file, have fun" assistance means that I can do scripting for the note-data side of the divide, too. And if I've got scripting action for both the data-entry and data-processing sides of the equation... well, hell - I'll just start the damn thing running before I leave work for the weekend and on Monday morning, voila, optimized SP charts as far as the eye can see.

Riz  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

youhas wrote:
What I really hope is that when some enterprising soul (like JCirri) is doing the data-mining for GH2 note charts, I can piggyback onto their efforts.

This is really exactly right. After your request last night, I took a look at the midi type 1 file format spec, to see how much effort it would require to extract the note data into a format usable by your script. The answer is, a fair bit, especially as a first time project (for me). The script that generates the PNGs for the note charts has all of the nasty meat and potatoes of reading the stream data and converting it to usable GH data... outputting a text file with clock offsets, note and hold data, and time signature changes would be a minimal effort using that code as a base, I would think. JC? Mr. Green

Riz.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question: are you considering time signature in your script (in your sample file I didn't see it)? The duration of SP depends on time signature so if not it wouldn't be accurate.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JC wrote:
Question: are you considering time signature in your script (in your sample file I didn't see it)? The duration of SP depends on time signature so if not it wouldn't be accurate.

Yes, he does. This is what the measure= keyword (which probably should have been called ticks_per_measure for clarity, but no biggie), in conjunction with the ticks_per_beat= keyword does. From his sample data file (second link), with the initial settings of ticks_per_beat=4 and measure=24, this indicates 6/4 time (per Riff's decoding which states that GH midi data time signature events always have a denominator of 4). Near the end of the song where it changes to 4/4, you can see a purple annotation on his marked up PNG of "16", and a measure=16 keyword at "tick" 2208.

Again, according to Riff's data, if the GH midi files are always using 480 pulses per quarter, you could probably just output raw offset timestamps, which youhas could downscale if needed (the concern being that granularity that fine might increase processing time?). Also, if you just output a TS_Change event with the (converted, but not scaled) numerator, he could convert that to whatever scaling he's using for the measure= keyword.

Riz.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[nods] Yup, Riz has got it. (I should've added a link to the "I Love Rock and Roll" transcript, where you can see the measure changing with some regularity.)

I remember giving the whole "let me increase the granularity by an order of magnitude" a shot, just to see how badly that affected run times, but can't remember the results of that experiment. Might've been as bad as a straight order of magnitude slower, but don't hold me to that.

Either way, I'd be ecstatic with absolutely anything in a text file of the "events at timestamps" variety. (Not like my input format is cast in stone, after all.) Downscaling, reassembling, tweaking the input-massaging - I can handle anything of that variety. It's getting from "mash of bits in a midi file" to "timestamped events, ready for analyzing" that's the toughest nut to crack. (I know I can do it myself... but enduring a brick of trial-and-error to reinvent the wheel is offputting enough that I haven't bothered.)

JCirri  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah ok, I didn't notice the measure keyword.

I'm still working myself on an algorithm that will take into account squeezing (exact amounts based on the allowable timing window for the given difficulty and at the current tempo at that point in the song), and also the delay it takes to activate SP.

However, I can probably provide you some files in the exact format that you use if you want to test it out. Except for the GRYBO parts, my program only cares if it's a note or a chord, and doesn't care which actual frets they are. So I could just make every note displayed as G and every chord GR or something if that would work in your program, let me know.

I have some time this weekend so I'm gonna try to get my program functional, then we can compare our results.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm also in the process right now of trying to hack something together. We'll see how it goes.

Riz.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, making every note a G and every chord a GR would work just fine. (I only made the distinction between frets to help with the hand-transcribing part of things.) But sure - if it's feasible for you to create some files of your choosing to feed into the script in the near future, that'd be awesome.

I knew that you were working along similar lines, taking a lot more of the scoring nuances into account. Here's to hoping that you can complete your optimization program soon enough - I'd love to compare results and see how closely they match up.

Riz  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[reposting to make the topic shiny and new... too many changes, but didn't want to double post...]

OK, extensive status re-update here. It's done. It appears to work perfectly, as far as I can see, at least in comparison to youhas's SYSB/med test dataset.

The script actually caught a number of fairly neat things.

A couple at the beginning are just wrong notes, which doesn't really change anything important... they're chords, and your dataset has them as chords... mine just has them as different chords, so no biggie.

The first really intersting catch, however is at tick 1516, which your dataset shows as hold=8 star13, and mine shows as hold=10 star13. That one matters. 2 extra ticks (half a beat) of starpower are available there.

The next catch is at 1949.333 and 1950.666. These Y and R notes you have listed at 1950 and 1951. Little bit of sneaky triplet timing action there, and very difficult to see on the PNG, but you can see it. Same at 1997.333 and 1998.666 which you show at 1998 and 1999 respectively.

a buglet removed a paragraph that was here

Anyway... done. It outputs data in exactly your format. If you have them, I'd love to check another of your hand coded files against my output and against the PNG for double verification. Anything you got would be appreciated. If that all checks out, I will run the full dataset for all 196 files. edit to add: I have checked out my output against a few hard and expert PNGs, and in general, they look pretty good... however, I also just re-read Riff's rules for note handling, and I'm pretty positive that my code will not correctly handle either of his rule #5's... I'll work on that tomorrow, have a look at the charts for COTC and YGATC along with the raw data and see if I can figure out exactly what gets ignored and what the conditions are... it's a bit hard to tell from just his description, at least for me.)

Again, three cheers for CPAN and the MIDI module there. Made this a lot easier than it otherwise would have been. And also, thanks to youhas, who gave me some motivation to get up off my ass (well, figuratively) and code something fun for a change... haven't done that for a while... Mr. Green

Riz.

edit: updated status 0037 EDT
edit2: status re-updated 0129 EDT
edit3: fixed a bug that removed some of the differences between the datasets.

Last edited by Riz on Sat Sep 30, 2006 9:43 am; edited 1 time in total
b3nz0r  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude I understand the concept of this but have no idea what you guys are doing, but keep doing it, because this is awesome.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

b3nz0r wrote:
Dude I understand the concept of this but have no idea what you guys are doing, but keep doing it, because this is awesome.

Well, a quick and dirty explanation is... youhas has written a script that attempts to calculate optimal star power paths. It uses a data file of the notes, holds, stars and time signature changes (his second link in the orginal post).

The only problem was, to get one of those data files, he had to comb over the note chart pics from the FAQ threads by hand, and figure out the numbers, and then type them all up... which was a gigantic pain in the butt, even for a relatively easy song like Sail Your Ship By medium. For the record, there are 593 data lines required for that song. Eyes burning... fingers trembling... yeah. The harder expert songs have many more events. So, needless to say, the thought of having to hand make data files for all the songs was not something that was really thrilling youhas.

So I coded up another script that reads the actual midi data from the files extracted off the game disc, and turns them into a file in the format that youhas's script can use. This will allow all sorts of interesting experimentation, to see if his script can come up with the same paths for some of the songs as what some of the SP gurus would have (in most cases, I'm guessing it won't, but it'll be interesting to see, none the less...) Youhas is doing the really cool and hard stuff, trying to figure out how to figure out the best paths (and JC too, with his own data and different methods!)... I just gave him an easy way to get more data to play with.

Anyway, fun stuff. Mr. Green

Riz, being excessively geeky.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hooray for Riz getting his geek on! Man, if I'd known this ever would've advanced beyond "tinkertoy novelty for me to net some top-10 medium scores", I might've actually, y'know, made a more concentrated effort to improve the algorithm's accuracy. No time like the present to start, though....

But wow - this is all turning out fairly awesome right here. Thanks for seeing how closely the hand-scribed data comes to your script-processed data. I know that there are artifacts in my data sets, both as pure errata (I botched some note or hold outright, d'oh) and intentional shortcuts (taking triplets and jamming them into the closest available half-beat markers, hoping it won't make a difference); it will be fantastic if those can disappear through the Magic of Technology(tm).

I do have something like half-a-dozen hand-coded charts on hand, though they're at work. (Naturally - where else would I work on my personal projects during "lunch hours"? Mr. Green ) They're yours for the analyzing, of course. If I get super-motivated, I'll race over there and get them up this weekend; worst case scenario, late Monday morning.

Either way, I'm pretty amped about this whole "multiple independent note-chewing systems" approach we're congealing into here. Makes it more likely that any given team will have a bug, of course... but also makes it waaay more likely that any oddities caused by the two systems' failure to mesh will be shaken out sooner than later. Sweet!

b3nz0r  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mean I know what you're doing, but I don't know how exactly it works. But I like it.

/gives this post the b3nz0r STAMP OF APPROVALâ„¢

/stamps

Riz and youhas for president.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Software All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: