ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
360 HDR/ARK File Structure (NOT DLC!!!!!)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Drummerguitarist  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should probably say something about making the OGG files. It is possible to make 4, 5, or 6-channel OGG files. I just did it a couple of minutes ago as an experiment. I'll tell you the instructions so that you can test this out with proper MOGGs, instead of 2-channel ones. This can be all done in Audacity, and isn't as hard as it seems.

What you need to do is:

1. Download Audacity 1.33 Beta and install it, which can be found here: http://audacity.sourceforge.net/download/beta_windows. Don't worry. You can install this alongside the stable version. I am personally not sure if this'll work in the stable version.

2. Open it up, and go to Edit: Preferences (ctrl-p)

3. Under File Formats, change the When exporting tracks option from Always mix all tracks down to Stereo or Mono channel(s) to Use Advanced Mixing Options. Now hit OK. If you don't do this, you won't be able to get past 2 channels for any of your songs. With advanced mixing, you can make whatever you want as far as channels.

4. Import the song of your preference for this (I don't know what's going on behind your computers), and then highlight it.

5. Hit File: Export Selection, and save it wherever you want, as an OGG file. Hit Save.

6. On the screen of Advanced Mixing Options, move the output channel selector to 4, 5, or 6 channels (depending on the song), then map the left and right channel to channels 1-4, 5, or 6. Hit OK.

7. Once saved, re-name the file as needed to .mogg, with the proper filenames. From that point on, you'll have multi-channel ogg files, in proper formatting, and they'll be ready for import. Do whatever you have to do from that point on, on account of I don't have the tools to do this on my 360 without fear of voiding my warranty.

Hope this helps you guys out a bit. And good luck on trying to find a solution to this. I wish I could help out at this, but the PS2 and N64 are the only systems in the house that I don't take warranties/precautions into consideration for. Plus, I don't even own GHII for the 360, anyway, unfortunately. Just Ps2.

-Dg

Last edited by Drummerguitarist on Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
tma  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gorby wrote:
Ok, I have made a little bit of progress on this...

Heh, you must be "lhyrgoif" on xboxhacker.net.

Did you try replacing the ogg file only, and leaving the original midi? That might isolate the cause of the lock up.

I'd also try swapping in another .mogg file from the game over a different song, leaving the original midi intact, and see if that works (can't see why it wouldn't though) (ie: replace the hanger 18 .mogg with the freya .mogg, see if it still plays).
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message XBL Gamertag: zzUrbanSpaceman
Gorby  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tma: yes thats me The reason for me posting on both forums is simply to get more people to see whats going on and hopefully make them curious enough to try help us in the research.

I did some more byte replacing yesturday night but I didnt have time to burn it, will do that today after work.

The new tests that will be performed tonight:

1. replace only a mid with a different original mid file
2. replace only an ogg with a different original ogg file
3. replace only a mid with a custom mid file
4. replace only an ogg with a custom ogg file.
5. replace only a mid with a mid from a ps2 song (mostly because I'm curious what happends).
6. Try out a specific change in the mid that I think may be one part of the problem, well see if I'm totally wrong here or not.
7. create my own 5 channel ogg according to instructions above and replace one song with this ogg and another song with this ogg+mid.

I am pretty sure option 1 and 2 will make me able to play the song and I do hope the rest of the tests will end up nice too. Even if the ogg and mid wouldn't match (case 1 & 2) that would be still awesome and a good indication that this is indeed possible.
Gorby  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good news, we're halfway done !

I just ran some tests with the new disc I made today...

Test 1: replace only a mid with a different original mid file
Result: Works, mid is changed and it is playable!

Test 2: replace only an ogg with a different original ogg file
Result: Failed, hangs when loading. This shouldn't be any problem so I guess I did some mistake while injecting the mogg. This isn't a problem anyway because of test 7.

Test 3: Made a minor change in a custom mid already injected.
Result: Failed, still hangs when loading.

Test 4: replace only a mid with a mid from a original ps2 song
Result: Works, mid is changed and it is playable!

Test 5: replace only a mid with a custom mid file
Result: Failed, hangs when loading.

Test 6: replace only an ogg with a custom ogg file.
Result: Failed, hangs when loading (this was suspected as the injected ogg only had 2 channels and not 5).

Test 7: create my own 5 channel ogg and inject.
Result: Works! Preview is ok and loops. Played through whole song, it ended as it should, got to score screen and then back to playlist. 100% success replacing with a custom ogg!

To summarize: I have been able to inject a totally custom song (in my case In Flames - Only For The Weak) that previews ok, plays 100% and ends back to playlist when the mid ends without any errors. Also succeeded in replacing a mid with an original mid from the ps2 version (shoutatthedevil.mid).

If I only can get a custom mid to play then custom songs on the 360 is a reality!

I guess next step is to try compare 360/ps2 original mid's with some custom ones and try to see why they aren't working.
Drummerguitarist  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gorby wrote:
Test 7: create my own 5 channel ogg and inject.
Result: Works! Preview is ok and loops. Played through whole song, it ended as it should, got to score screen and then back to playlist. 100% success replacing with a custom ogg!

To summarize: I have been able to inject a totally custom song (in my case In Flames - Only For The Weak) that previews ok, plays 100% and ends back to playlist when the mid ends without any errors. Also succeeded in replacing a mid with an original mid from the ps2 version (shoutatthedevil.mid).

If I only can get a custom mid to play then custom songs on the 360 is a reality!

I guess next step is to try compare 360/ps2 original mid's with some custom ones and try to see why they aren't working.

Glad to see that my multi-channel OGG trick worked. I am going to make a guess and say that the reason as to why the 2-channel OGG didn't work is because the channel mappings (take a hard look at songs.dtb in Nachyoz' dtb editor, and you'll know what I mean) are searched for in the file. When only 2 channels are found, the game crashes because it cannot find the rest of the channels and doesn't know what to do.

So...I am probably going to assume that there are DTB files or an equivalent to them being used somewhere. That's where the channel mappings are found (at least on the ps2).

But, glad to see that my method is working for you. Even though I don't own the 360 GHII, if we find the answer to customs, then that means we're one step closer to Rock Band/GHIII customs when they come out. So, good luck in your work, Gorby and everyone else.

-Dg
tma  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drummerguitarist wrote:
So...I am probably going to assume that there are DTB files or an equivalent to them being used somewhere. That's where the channel mappings are found (at least on the ps2).

If the DLC packs are anything to go by, the 360 songs definitely have DTB files (all the DLC packs so far have DTB files). The problem is extracting them from the ARK without the HDR, given that they don't stand out (no magic string, as such).

Kata reckons he did scan for dtb files through the ARK, but I think it would be worth another visit. The problem is it will need to be essentially brute-forced, however once it's done (once for PAL and once for NTSC, I assume) we shouldn't need to do it again as we'll know the locations.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message XBL Gamertag: zzUrbanSpaceman
Gorby  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that it would be really nice if we somehow could find the DTB files as that would allow us to do fun stuff like edit offsets and set songnames shown in the list.

It's late and I need to go sleep but I've done several new injections into the ark file that I will try out tomorrow. I'm really hopeful that the custom mid's will work this time as I found several bytes that needed to be patched in the mid's for it to possibly work. I hope I have found all the neccesary changes but I can't be sure until tomorrow ofc. Wish me luck!
N4zgu7  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 5:18 am    Post subject: offtopic, I know... Reply with quote

Hi! Very interested in your work! I've been trying to figure out a way to run Karaoke Revolution Party on 'ye olde' xbox in unpacked mode (I think I've figured out the rest - edit the dtb's, make custom mid's with included junk, multi-track OGG files, etc) - it is also a multi-part ARK file with a somewhat strange and large hdr file. The guy who wrote the original KRMaker app also had a tool to unpack the Karaoke Revolution Party files, just not to re-pack it. I'm wondering if it would be possible to use that code (it's JAR, but the source is in the file - just open the JAR in winzip & it's all there) with the BAADBAAD... string as a password to expose the HDR properly, or unpack & expose it to then get to the contents? Might be worth a go.

I used Anvil ( a free download) to edit the midi's - may be worth looking at the 'good' or orignial midi's you have managed to get to see what other track info is in it. May have to insert another track or two to lay in timing info. Hope it helps!
tma  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: offtopic, I know... Reply with quote

N4zgu7 wrote:
Hi! Very interested in your work! I've been trying to figure out a way to run Karaoke Revolution Party on 'ye olde' xbox in unpacked mode (I think I've figured out the rest - edit the dtb's, make custom mid's with included junk, multi-track OGG files, etc) - it is also a multi-part ARK file with a somewhat strange and large hdr file. The guy who wrote the original KRMaker app also had a tool to unpack the Karaoke Revolution Party files, just not to re-pack it. I'm wondering if it would be possible to use that code (it's JAR, but the source is in the file - just open the JAR in winzip & it's all there) with the BAADBAAD... string as a password to expose the HDR properly, or unpack & expose it to then get to the contents? Might be worth a go.

KR Maker and KRpUnpacker can be found here:

http://www.geocities.com/krmxbox/

I had a look at the code, and the only references to encrypt I can see are to do with .dtb files, which we already know how to crack. The hdr/ark parsing is probably the same as ARK Expander, and doesn't really help us. My test run didn't succeed.

Oh well, it was a good thought, and thanks for your input, it's much appreciated.
tma  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tma wrote:
If the DLC packs are anything to go by, the 360 songs definitely have DTB files (all the DLC packs so far have DTB files). The problem is extracting them from the ARK without the HDR, given that they don't stand out (no magic string, as such).

Correction : the DLC packs have cleartext .DTA files, not the encrypted .DTB files.
kevnin  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone had success using extracted files from the DLC packs in a custom ps2 disk? Or by placing the files into the 360 disk?
Burnination  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting stuff. Gorby great job. Writing a prog for injecting wouldn't be hard at all. Just a matter of manually getting offsets/size for the songs.

To angerwound: yeah, Im not the greatest assembly person :\ If anyone else wants a try, ask tma or me.

to kevnin: The files are easily extractable using wxPirs once you hook up your xb hd. But this is not the place to describe how to do it.

the problem with the dtb files is the file sizes. But it would be cool to be able to edit all that stuff.

hey gorby, one quick question: what hex editor do you use? because i tried using Hex Workshop, but it crashed when i tried to save the ark file (too big i guess?) of course it was being run in vmware..but it had atleast 1 gig of ram dedicated to it...

edit: I've tried to add a song before but the game crashed due to not enough channels in the ogg file :\
Gorby  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Burnination wrote:
Very interesting stuff. Gorby great job. Writing a prog for injecting wouldn't be hard at all. Just a matter of manually getting offsets/size for the songs.

Yep, injecting is just a matter of manually searching all the start adresses and their lenght, then overwrite those areas byte by byte. The biggest problem is getting the mid and ogg to a suitable format.

Quote:

hey gorby, one quick question: what hex editor do you use? because i tried using Hex Workshop, but it crashed when i tried to save the ark file (too big i guess?) of course it was being run in vmware..but it had atleast 1 gig of ram dedicated to it...

edit: I've tried to add a song before but the game crashed due to not enough channels in the ogg file :\

I had the same problem as you, it took some time to find an ok editor simply because most of them couldn't open a 2 gig file without crashing.
I ended up with Hex Workshop too. I changed the settings to edit directly into the ark file ('expert mode' or similar) and not save it as a second file, just make sure you insert things correctly because you can't undo bigger changes.

Oh, and by the way...after alot of trial and error I finally got a custom midi to boot this evening !!

I've just made another dvd to verify that it can be repeated with other mid's, haven't had the time to test it yet though.

Also halfway through coding a simpler GUI for this.

Edit: After testing the latest dvd I now could play three completely custom songs (ogg+mid), this roxx ! Will get back with more details and perhaps a video later.

There is only one problem right now, some mid's that "should" work doesn't (hang while loading song) and I don't really know why. Will have to try investigate this more. I guess its because some mid's either is missing some needed info or that they contain ps2 specific events/track chunks that isn't valid on the 360.

Last edited by Gorby on Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Finalizer  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, in other words, the 360 has finally seen the light of custom songs?

'Grats man, I've got a friend who'll be very happy to see this!

Oh snap son | Finalizer's Custom charts | Attention Internet: Before you use the word "Awesome", consider using this first.
Gorby  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finalizer wrote:
So, in other words, the 360 has finally seen the light of custom songs?

'Grats man, I've got a friend who'll be very happy to see this!

Yes, but with some limitations. The ps2 archive header isnt obfuscated as the 360 one is, so while it is possible to get custom songs in now we still can't do everything that is possible on the ps2 (like we cannot edit the names of the songs and the custom songs cant be bigger than the original songs). Also, there are some quirks that needs some more investigation, like why some custom mids work fine and others hang when loading.

I'm kind of satisfied with the ability to play new songs though, getting really tired of the old ones.

Last edited by Gorby on Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Software All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9

Jump to: