ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Most FRUSTRATING RPG moment (Thread 1 of 2)
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Gaming Discussion (Non-Music Games)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JHetfield0816  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 1:06 am    Post subject: Most FRUSTRATING RPG moment (Thread 1 of 2) Reply with quote

I don't mean frustrating in terms of the graphics/sound/storyline, nor do I mean somehow losing all of your data due to technical difficulties and having to start over.

I'm talking about moments where you lost a big boss battle just when you were about to win, lost a battle you thought you'd easily win and had to start way back at a far away save point...any time where you frustratingly lost a battle, screwed up something dumb in a dungeon, got stuck in a dungeon and wanted to scream "FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, WHY????"

Please include smashed controller stories resulting from this as well.

My most frustrating recent moment was in FFX-2 where I was going down in the bonus dungeon where there are 100 floors and the enemies are really really hard....I had gotten sidetracked earlier on and forgot to save since oh...about the 51st floor. I was on around floor 96... I was in a battle and previously forgot to look at what my HP was because I thought I had just healed (which I hadn't). I died and had to start all the way back at floor 46 or 47 or something like that. I think I screamed "FUCK THIS GAME!!!" and punted my controller into the wall. God I was so mad.

"The resistance that you fight physically in the gym and the resistance that you fight in life can only build a strong character." - Arnold
Alakaiser  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha, that's easy.

Trying to learn the pattern for the Magus Sisters (FF4, natch) was an aboslute BITCH when I first played through it. Granted, I was like six years old, but my GOD is that a lot of guess work if you don't know the order of attack going in. Such a fun battle, but I must've gotten stuck there for days when I first played.
Kachie  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was some cave system somewhere. . . i want to say it was in tihe latter half of FF7. . made it all the way to the end, huge boss battle that i should have expected and saved for. . didn`t. . ug, you think you would learn after the first time something like that happens but you never do. `Eh, I don`t need to save now, i got so much momentum. . `ect.ect. . . and well yeah, it pretty much ends with the `fuck this game` and the toss of the controller. . of course an hour later you find yourself slinking back into the room for some more punishment

"I'm a loner dottie, a rebel, you don't want to get mixed up with a guy like me. . . "

HylianHero  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm gonna stray away from the FF theme of this thread and include my anger story for Tales of Symphonia. It was my first time through the game, and seeing as how I had managed to get through most of the game fairly easily, I didn't really bother leveling up very much. (I was about lv. 12 after the first dungeon area)

Anyways, apparently there's a glitch of sorts in the game right after this where instead of going to the level 15 dungeon like you're supposed to, you can directly access and lock yourself in a dungeon with level 20 to 25's... I was stuck in there for DAYS. Finally beat the boss, went back to theh 15 dungeon and blazed through it. But I nearly took my memory card and fed it to my dog in frustration that I had locked myself in. And unfortunately for me, I had saved it RIGHT after locking myself in.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lady Yunalesca, FFX, 1 turn (per character, so 3 attacks) away from victory. Everyone dies. I won't fucking touch that game ever again.
Squirrel  

Location: Wyano, PA (Come visit! My gameroom is always open.)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lunar SSSC has instant saves. Which has a positive/negative effect. Positive because you can save at any time, negative because it makes it REALLY easy to forget to save.

Many a controllers thrown because I forgot to save and had to do 3+ hours of work again.

Also when Chrono died, I punted the controller.

Except for those, and another one I'm not willing to discuss >_>, those are the only RPG's I played. I just get bored with them, and a select few, I dunno why, just attract me. Like, I played through the first Lunar no problem, but I just can't get into the second one.

Now... fighting games? There's a topic I can talk about punting controllers.
Hellion42  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pick any random map on Fire Emblem 1 US (6 JP?) and chances are I've almost destroyed my GBA trying to complete it without losing any characters. (For those that don't know, when a character in the Fire Emblem games loses all of their hit points... that's it. No phoenix downs, no life spells, they're dead and they stay that way.) One map in particular, I forget exactly which chapter it was, I had to have tried 50 times to complete, trying to find the exact sequence of moves so I didn't get slaughtered by Berserkers by turn 3 or so. And then when I did get that far, I then had to do it all over again learning the second wave.

Fire Emblem kicks ass. *reminds self to make a thread later*

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Squirrel wrote:
Lunar SSSC has instant saves. Which has a positive/negative effect. Positive because you can save at any time, negative because it makes it REALLY easy to forget to save.

Many a controllers thrown because I forgot to save and had to do 3+ hours of work again.

Except for those, and another one I'm not willing to discuss >_>, those are the only RPG's I played. I just get bored with them, and a select few, I dunno why, just attract me. Like, I played through the first Lunar no problem, but I just can't get into the second one.

Yeah, I should have made a thread about fighting game-anger stories. I have a LOT of those.

Anyway, Squirrel I really want to hear some more of these stories. The ones you just told, although vague, really made me laugh. I especially want to hear the one you're "not willing to discuss", haha

"The resistance that you fight physically in the gym and the resistance that you fight in life can only build a strong character." - Arnold
Alakaiser  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HylianHero wrote:
I'm gonna stray away from the FF theme of this thread and include my anger story for Tales of Symphonia. It was my first time through the game, and seeing as how I had managed to get through most of the game fairly easily, I didn't really bother leveling up very much. (I was about lv. 12 after the first dungeon area)

Anyways, apparently there's a glitch of sorts in the game right after this where instead of going to the level 15 dungeon like you're supposed to, you can directly access and lock yourself in a dungeon with level 20 to 25's... I was stuck in there for DAYS. Finally beat the boss, went back to theh 15 dungeon and blazed through it. But I nearly took my memory card and fed it to my dog in frustration that I had locked myself in. And unfortunately for me, I had saved it RIGHT after locking myself in.

Ah, you want frustrating ToS moments...

THAT FUCKING SLIDING ICE PUZZLE. OMG did I get stuck there forever. My mind just DID NOT click with that stupid thing. I was screaming at the set before I got it.

Combat system was fun as hell, though. =)
Squirrel  

Location: Wyano, PA (Come visit! My gameroom is always open.)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JHetfield0816 wrote:
Squirrel wrote:

Yeah, I should have made a thread about fighting game-anger stories. I have a LOT of those.

Anyway, Squirrel I really want to hear some more of these stories. The ones you just told, although vague, really made me laugh. I especially want to hear the one you're "not willing to discuss", haha

Lets see off the top of my head...

I have thrown controllers at the tv, slammed controllers, slammed my arcade stick (it was a cheapo), punted controllers, punched tv's, I actually somehow managed to put a small crack in a monitor playing CS:S, actually slammed a console... of course nothing valueable. Except for the monitor... mainly all from fighting games, either trying to land combos, trying to beat super cheap bosses (I still can't get more than 5 hits in on the final boss of KoF XI...), or counter-strike.

... yeah. Oh yeah I curse up a storm too. Ever want to hear me say fuck the most? Catch me playing counter-strike. Seriously, I'm not as bad as say, FPS Doug, its pretty amusing to see me play.
Jed  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone who's played Wizardry can appreciate this.

After putting hundreds of hours into Wizardry 5, and leveling my characters up to obscene levels, I opened a chest that ended up being trapped. The trap turned my main Lord into ashes. Ashes is the second stage of death, there's Dead, Ashes, and Lost forever. I go to use the revive spell to bring him back... it fails... and he's Lost forever. No way to bring him back. All his items (including story-important items) gone. I was SO pissed, I wouldn't talk to anyone for like days. >_>
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Jedlyn
FlimFlam  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was playing Dragon Quest 8 and going through a dungeon (there are so freakin many of them in that game)for about an hour, without being able to save. I made it to the boss, and got into a random battle. They kill my main character, the only one with a revive spell, and there are no reviving items in the game. I was right next to the boss, so I fough thim anyway and won. But I lost another one of my characters, who had a move to teleport me out of the dungeon. I was left with only the slow fat guy and barely made it out alive after like another hour.
COBW3BB  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FlimFlam wrote:
I was playing Dragon Quest 8 and going through a dungeon (there are so freakin many of them in that game)for about an hour, without being able to save. I made it to the boss, and got into a random battle. They kill my main character, the only one with a revive spell, and there are no reviving items in the game. I was right next to the boss, so I fough thim anyway and won. But I lost another one of my characters, who had a move to teleport me out of the dungeon. I was left with only the slow fat guy and barely made it out alive after like another hour.

I AGREE. Mine was also DQ8. It was at the Swordman's Labyrinth... I had only my main guy for the last 3/4 of the level. I then had to fight the treasure chest boss with just the Hero.... And I died. So I had to make it all the way back through the damn dungeon again, this time I made sure Jessica stayed alive to heal, so that everyone else didn't die!

wuLFe  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My story involves an obscure (japanese?) game for the NES called "Chesterfield". My parents went to Hong Kong when I was about 6 years old, and to my delight, instead of buying me some pocket held games, bought me a NES - probably the first NES in South Africa

Anyhow, it came with a mere four games : Super Mario Bros 1, Goonies 2, Salamander (aka Lifeforce) and Chesterfield...

SMB1 and Salamander were both in english, and pretty easy to figure out what to do - Goonies 2 and Chesterfield were another matter entirely - this was long before the days of GameFaqs (and even the interweb was unavailable to us mere mortals), so my 6 year old self spent many many many many months attempting to puzzle out these games by means of trial and error.

In fact, Chesterfield was a fairly simple game - kill bad guy, get item, gain access to more content - and i got very far in it - UNTIL there was one end boss (a white dragon) who was infuriating, because you'd just be in the same room as him for a few seconds, and then die - full health, etc, it didn't matter. I was never able to get past that point.

Years later, after I got nesticle and an english translation of the game, I found out that to defeat the boss, you needed to use a special item - most frustrating moment ever!
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: wuLFe79 PSN Name: wuLFe
MLafer  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FlimFlam wrote:

This should be in the most TRIUMPHANT moments thread!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Gaming Discussion (Non-Music Games) All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: