ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Custom Guitar Hero Song Release!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ImaCarrot  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:43 pm    Post subject: Custom Guitar Hero Song Release! Reply with quote

Song: "Megaman" by The Acro-Brats
Difficulties: ALL
Midi file:
http://www.savefile.com/projects/1044035
Game: Guitar Hero
Video: YouTube

Programs Used:

Midi Editing:
Midi Maestro
Anvil Studio

Other:
Shadowzero313’s utilities

Comments:

This is my first custom Guitar Hero song, as well as the first publicly released Guitar Hero song for download (as far as I know). Some of you may remember that this particular song was already in a special edition of Guitar Hero that was created for the IAM8BIT exhibit awhile back. I always wanted to play it, so that’s why I made it. I’ve never even seen that version so I have no idea how close my note chart is to theirs, chances are I’m way off, but oh well.

I charted the whole song by ear, as I couldn’t find tabs or even a midi version of the song (I doubt either exist on the net), so it likely isn’t completely accurate, but it sure is fun! I also created the entire midi from scratch, we don't want any reason for RedOctane to get pissed off about this now do we?

Everything you need to know to put this song into the game and actually play it is in the Official gh-utils thread.

The song, “Megaman” by The Acro-Brats, has been freely available on their MySpace page for months now. The link up at the top of this thread will take you there, it’s up to you to find the .mp3 to download.

Also, I have even less musical experience than I do programming experience (i.e. none). If some of the more musically inclined out there notice things wrong with my note chart, please don't hesitate to point them out to me. Or if someone wants to use my version to build off of and improve, by all means go for it, just be sure to ask me first.

Thanks go out to Riff for showing us all that it is even possible to hack your own songs in and for writing up that great doc on how the Guitar Hero MIDI and VGS files work.

Thanks as well to shadowzero313 for releasing the utilities that allowed even the most non-programmer out there (like myself) to put their own songs into the game.

Last, but not least, the ScoreHero community for being awesome all around.

Last edited by ImaCarrot on Wed Nov 15, 2006 6:23 pm; edited 2 times in total
Riz  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn fine job. Congratulations.

Riz.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! Mr. Green
Sottle  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's an awesome job!

Is there any chance we can get some step by step instructions as to how get this song onto Disc? I did look in the other topic but there's an awful lot of information there and it's too much for my brain to comprehend this late in the evening >_>

Assuming i have a copy of the GH2 Demo on my HDD, and i have the files you've posted there, where do i go from there?
View user's profile Send private message XBL Gamertag: Sottle PSN Name: Sottle Wii Friend Code: 1365547015982980
ImaCarrot  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sottle wrote:
That's an awesome job!

Is there any chance we can get some step by step instructions as to how get this song onto Disc? I did look in the other topic but there's an awful lot of information there and it's too much for my brain to comprehend this late in the evening >_>

I'm pretty sure the process will differ from person to person (especially the midi editing part). I can try to put something together, if some kind of community forms around this then it would probably be useful to have.

You might want to start looking at one of the midi files from the game to get a feel for how they are structured. You can use Game Extractor to rip the midi files out of the MAIN_0.ARK file.

Maybe I'll try to write up a tutorial tonight instead of starting on my next song.
ebayitup  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

awesome job man

I too would VERY much love to read a tutorial on this as well. I really wanna do a thrice song, deadbolt

*edit* i don't care if you don't like them, keep it to your selves please

Last edited by ebayitup on Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:06 am; edited 1 time in total
ImaCarrot  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
*edit* i don't care if you don't like them, keep it to your selves please

I agree, the more songs we have the better in my opinion. Even if I don't like a song it'll still be cool to be able to play a new song.
Squirrel  

Location: Wyano, PA (Come visit! My gameroom is always open.)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well you can't replace it with smoke in the water.

MM sounds 3x too fast, lmfao, chipmunks ftw

EDIT: Tried it with Callout, still playing WAAAY too fast. *sighs*
ImaCarrot  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you should be able to replace whatever song you want, this makes me think that you did something wrong during the encoding of the wav or vag. Does the wav file you made sound alright? If it does, then how did you convert that to a .vag? You should be able to just use mfaudio on it's default settings and go from there. Just be sure you change the saved file type to the .vag.
Squirrel  

Location: Wyano, PA (Come visit! My gameroom is always open.)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got it to work, I used the guide on the forums in the GHUtil thread except I did something different.

When I went from WAV to VAG, I forced the VAG to be at 44100 sample rate. That did the trick.
Jackhammer  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so you guys have modded playstations to play these?
ImaCarrot  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet, what did you think of it Squirrel? I'll probably see you on irc tonight if you are on after 8:30.

Quote:
so you guys have modded playstations to play these?

For the most part, yes. You need a modded ps2, or SwapMagic, or a ps2 Testkit to play burned games. I imagine a lot of people use HDLoader as well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: