ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Infected
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Guitar Hero -> Expert
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sgspecial  

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is not necessary as optimal SP would involve activating after that whether you got the SP or not.
Cdw01  

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sgarlic wrote:
Let's see a video of someone actually earning usable star power from hitting that first star power note.
It's been proven possible many times on every difficulty. You just need to be precise. It's technically the same for every diff, but most people find it easier on easy/medium because even though you're squeezing the same distance, it looks like much less due to the slower scrolling, where on hard/expert you feel like you're trying to squeeze too much sometimes.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jesse0986 wrote:
I generally don't come out of the solo with a good multiplier (2x if I'm lucky), and the optimal path includes an activation right after the solo (on a hold sustain, as a matter of fact). Check it out here, Measure 84-87:

http://www.bradleyzoo.com/GuitarHero/gh-ps2/expert/infected.lazy-whammy.best.png (I use Lazy Whammy paths because I suck at squeezing and whammying early )

My question is this, is it worth it to activate here per the optimal path, get like half (if not less than half) of the chords without an 8x, and then collect the next two SPs and activate at the start of M103 as usual, or would it be better to hold onto the SP (which would be nearly full after whammying that sustain) until I've built a multiplier back up and then used it somewhere in the final chorus? I'd count up the points myself but the multiplier I have coming out of the solo can vary greatly

The plus to sticking with the optimal path is obviously two activations, but a large chunk of the first activation wouldn't be under an 8x. The plus to hanging onto the SP is holding an 8x obviously for a full eight measures, but I'm also wasting an activation (plus there are fewer points to be obtained in the final chorus as opposed to the buildup of RB and RO chords after the solo).

Thanks in advance.

It looks to me like following the standard path is still slightly better, but not much. My reasoning is this:

You will be using either the path shown in the lazy whammy chart, or an activation starting around the beginning of measure 91 and ending around the end of measure 98 (with no last activation). Measures 91-93 are under SP in either case, so you are effectively making the decision between getting measures 94-98 under SP, or getting measures 103-106 and some of 107 plus measures 89 and 90 (and some insignificant hold points) under SP. If you approximate measure 89 as a 200-point measure and measure 90 as a 400-point measure (to account for your lower multiplier; you would likely get more points here than this approximation takes into account since you will have at least a 5 combo before then), you can consider measures 87-90 roughly as a single 650-point measure. Thus, in measures 94-98 you get at most 5 measures averaging 650 points a measure, and in measures 103-107, plus "measure" 87-90, you get at least a little over 5 measures averaging 650 points a measure. Of course, if your multiplier coming out of the solo gets higher, the amount by which the standard path is superior increases.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Barb, you're a whiz. I stuck with the standard path and came out of the solo with a 2x and it bumped my score up a cool 4K.

Also, duly noted for future reference on where non-optimal SP strategies belong. I always assumed these forums were for optimal strategies only (which is why I never post in here because I suck at optimizing scores ).
sgarlic  

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It's been proven possible many times on every difficulty.

Have YOU personally done it?

No disrespect intended here, but when it comes to GH; I don't accept "That's been done a hundred times" .. "That's what I've been told" or "I heard someone else did this" without proof.

If you have a link to a video of someone hitting it on expert, by all means please post it and I'll shut up. Or if you yourself have one, please feel free to send the link over.
Cdw01  

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sgarlic wrote:
Quote:
It's been proven possible many times on every difficulty.
Have YOU personally done it? If you have a link to a video of someone hitting it on expert, by all means please post it and I'll shut up. Or if you yourself have one, please feel free to send the link over.
I don't have a vid of it, but I'm sure there's one out there somewhere. There aren't that many good vids of Infected, though (Rexisfed's vid from last week is the first FC vid I could find of it). Regardless, I can get it easily (1/2-3/4) of the time on easy, where it's actually required for the optimal path. I've gotten it on medium and hard as well (H same scroll rate as X with time window same for all difficulties easy-expert) just not with the same high consistency as I really don't give much care to going for it since it's not required for the optimal path and the first activation squeeze isn't hard at all. It's been discussed before, and I can guarantee many others have gotten it. This isn't an issue worth being so skeptical about.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Guitar Hero -> Expert All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: