ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Beatmania US release
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Other Music Games -> Popn'Music and Beatmania
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Matt  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 3:04 am    Post subject: Beatmania US release Reply with quote

For those of you who have never played Beatmania, it was Konami's first music game series. Now, after seeing the success of DDR in America, they have finally decided to begin releasing Beatmania in the US! Check out http://ps2.ign.com/objects/748/748592.html for more info. Anyone who likes music games (which I assume you do if you are reading this) should definately check it out.
Drakken  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I'm definitely looking forward to this one. I've unfortunately never had the opportunity to try Beatmania, but from watching vids, it looks like something I'd really enjoy and want to master.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Drakken688
jkilby99  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played Beatmania at in a now-defunct arcade in the Nashville area that specialized in music games. At first, it wasn't much fun and it just seemed a lot more effort (read: difficult) than it was worth. I eventually got the hang of it enough to ace the easy songs and began to have fun with it. I'll probably pick it up when it comes out.

It's definitely more for the hardcore music gaming audience... it's not as much fun to watch someone at a turntable compared to dancing, singing, playing the guitar, etc.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd rather see a domestic release of Pop'N, but if a successful domestic release of Beatmania paves the way for one, then I may pick it up anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jkilby99 wrote:
At first, it wasn't much fun and it just seemed a lot more effort (read: difficult) than it was worth.

It looks like the US release is going to be a LOT more beginner friendly. I have a few of the import games, and when I try to get new people to try it, they usually are stuck playing the same song or 2 over and over a few dozen times before they can start passing new songs.

The trouble with starting a game as "matured" as beatmania, is that te games start out very easy (see beatmania 1st mix in Japan), but then mature with their audiances. I am sure that the next Guitar Hero, too, will see a boost in difficulty.
jkilby99  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt wrote:
The trouble with starting a game as "matured" as beatmania, is that te games start out very easy (see beatmania 1st mix in Japan), but then mature with their audiances. I am sure that the next Guitar Hero, too, will see a boost in difficulty.

That makes a lot of sense. The one I played was one of the later Beatmania versions (the sixth or seventh mix, I think).

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, were you playing Beatmania (5 keys) or Beatmania IIDX (7 keys)?
The US release, although called Beatmania, will be based on Beatmania IIDX. They will have 5 key charts for some of the songs, though, and is a great starting point for people who are new to music games.
jkilby99  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I honestly don't remember... even if there were seven keys, I don't remember being able to play songs that required much more than one hand for the buttons.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Incidentally, I wonder if they are going to use the original 5.1.1. charts (being 1 on hyper), or the 10th style and up charts (6 on hyper).
Anthony  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickass! I love playing this game in the arcade but I'm not really big on importing. I'll definitely be picking this up when it comes out.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully JC will make a scorekeeping site for Beatmania US as well :D
JDM  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too late!
Matt  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am well aware of vjarmy (heck, I even have an account there). However, they aren't sure if they are going to track the US release of beatmania, and if they do, they won't assign proper US grades to the scores you submit (since the US release will use different cutoffs for letter grades then the JP versions)
Matt  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just as a kind of poll, does anyone here plan to pick the game up, and who of those people would be interested in a site similar t this one for scorekeeping?
Drakken  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I'm definitely interested in getting this. I generally don't buy games new anymore, though. I'll either wait for a really good deal, or more likely, trade for them. So, I won't have it immediately.
10 million (currently 10.53 million!)

FC Epic

Cyberscore - Great high scores site for other games
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Drakken688
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Other Music Games -> Popn'Music and Beatmania All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: