ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Hardest skill to learn ?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Guitar/Bass
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What is the hardest skill to get ?
Hammer-Ons
9%
 9%  [ 12 ]
Pull-Offs
65%
 65%  [ 84 ]
Super-Fast Strumming
25%
 25%  [ 32 ]
Total Votes : 128

Mike  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:26 pm    Post subject: Hardest skill to learn ? Reply with quote

So, what is the skill that give (or gave) you most trouble ? And there's two steps : learning it and mastering it !

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about "all of the above"?

Goal: 5* Hard
FOP [X]
PP(LL) [X]
OFTR [X]
6 [3.6]
TH [4.0]
Fly1ngV  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

in truth, hammers and pulls are equally hard, it's just what you are more comfortable with, like me, i can kinda do pulls. but hammers will get me til the day i stop playing
JCirri  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

POs seem more difficult for me since you have to look ahead and hold down the frets ahead of time. With HOs you can just play them almost as you normally would except without lifting your fingers up.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with JCirri, but the problem I have with pulloffs is I pull off one too many fret buttons. For example if it is a RYG pull off, I let go of the green button for the green note, instead of only pulling off the yellow button. In my brain I associate playing the green note with moving my index finger. It's just something I'll have to get used to I guess.

Goal: 5* Hard
FOP [X]
PP(LL) [X]
OFTR [X]
6 [3.6]
TH [4.0]
Atremains  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still can't even come close to the end of Frankenstein

But the sweep licks (or whatever you wanna call them), I don't have a problem with.
HsAxTakexIt (4:37:20 AM): XD
HsAxTakexIt (4:37:35 AM): too bad your elbow doesnt have a finger to push select
HsAxTakexIt (4:37:57 AM): the next evolution of man : the elbow finger
lilchris25  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can do some hammer-ons, but I don't think I've ever done one pull-off in a song yet, and I'm way into the expert mode.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger PSN Name: lilc25
OtherBill  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My biggest problem isn't hammer-ons or pull-offs, but it's preventing accidental hammer-ons. If I'm late on applying a fret button, the game thinks "Oh, this must be a hammer-on", then when I strum, the game thinks "Oh, this is an extra strum" and it breaks my combo. :-(

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OtherBill wrote:
My biggest problem isn't hammer-ons or pull-offs, but it's preventing accidental hammer-ons.

This happens to me too !

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both hammer-ons and pull-offs. I at least understand superfast strumming--The Breaking Wheel on Hard even can give me problems--but HOPOs aren't happening on this guitar.
Anthony  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I picked up hammer-ons pretty fast and right now I'm working on mastering pull-offs. Super fast stumming gives me the most trouble, I just always stum too fast or too slow. This is why I passed Cowboys From Hell before I passed The Breaking Wheel.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can do fast strumming pretty well, unless it's the type of thing like at the end of Texas Flood with all those oranges. I usually just strum as fast as I can, but that ends up being too fast. I just can't judge what the tempo will be, because when I go with the tempo I hear in the song, it doesn't seem to correlate.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based on my song data I'm using, those oranges in Texas Flood are 1/24th notes. Meaning there are 6 per barline. So if you're trying to feel the tempo to hit them, think of the beat of each barline (quarter notes), divide that into tripplets (1/12ths) and then divide them in half (1/24ths). But it is very fast, so even using this method it's still hard to get a feel for in your head.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Technically, there is no such thing as a 24th note; they're called 16th-note triplets, but in effect it's the same thing. I've been playing guitar for close to 14 years, and I can already move my wrist quickly enough, so that's not the problem. I think it might be the strum bar itself that's throwing me off, because in my head I'm playing the exact rhythm as in the song. But going that fast, I have to rely on muscle memory, and I think the difference between holding a guitar pick and holding the strum bar might be the problem. I've heard of people using guitar picks to play GH, so I think I'll try that. I actually keep a guitar pick in my wallet, I just never think to use it when I'm playing. Still, even on a real guitar, it's hard to play that fast and keep a consistent rhythm. Most guitarists just get it "close enough," so they'll accent on the beat, but the notes in between might be the tiniest bit slower or faster, and you have to speed up or slow down on the accent to compensate. Most of the time this isn't even noticeable, but the game is pretty sensitive to it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hammer-ons i do all the time without even noticing it (i guess that sentence kind of contridicts itself but you know what I mean). But pull-offs will haunt me for eternity, super-fast struming i have no problem with, the only time i use it is in texas flood, frankenstein, and cowboys from hell, and I'm in expert.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Guitar/Bass All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: