ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Entering first tourney, tips wanted (EDIT: RESULTS)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Misc GH Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TerminX13  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:00 pm    Post subject: Entering first tourney, tips wanted (EDIT: RESULTS) Reply with quote

Because it's in score, which I never payed attention to.

Teach me your techniques, oh mighty Score Hero~

(Game is GHWT btw)

Twitter | Trollbean | RateYourMusic | Hummingbird
Accomplishments:
RB (Latest: 25 or 6 to 4)
GHL (Latest: GHL FGFC)

Greatest canine ever to play the plastic guitar

Last edited by TerminX13 on Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:08 am; edited 1 time in total
xeroxgp  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think people are gonna need more information from you about the tournament to help you out. Is it Pro Face Off? If so you gotta practice the hard songs and learn the best star power for the easy songs, also, play some Online Pro Face Off to test yourself, and see how you react to live play against someone. It's very different playing in your room alone, or in front of people and competing with someone next to you. Based on what you said, do you mean highest score wins, on any song? If that's the case Sweet Home Alabama (Live) wins because of it's lenght and all of the 3 note chords at the end of the song, make sure to memorize the Star Power path.

I don't know about you, but I like where they're headed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: XeroXGP PSN Name: Conlin
TerminX13  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I THINK it's Pro Face Off, there's not much else it can be. Other than that, I don't know anything.. at all, except that round 1 will be played on Hard, & the final round is on Expert.

Accomplishments:

Gotsmack  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's tough for us to give you any advise without knowing how the tournament is organized. You don't even have many WT scores posted for us to give you ideas on what songs to play, or really have an idea of your skill level.
xtremecarbon  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GENERALLY you want: A reliable guitar (haha) and knowing pretty much all of the paths for the game you are playing since most aren't specific songs you can know ahead of time. And since it's WT see what you can do with the purple notes while practicing.

My Accomplishments
Hey, I FINALLY have Rock Band 3! And with Cymbals for Pro Mode! Add XBL if you want to play. The best way to contact me is through Twitter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: xtremecarbonSH PSN Name: xtremecarbon Wii Friend Code: 1874701833916044
elmarko  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xeroxgp wrote:
I think people are gonna need more information from you about the tournament to help you out. Is it Pro Face Off? If so you gotta practice the hard songs and learn the best star power for the easy songs, also, play some Online Pro Face Off to test yourself, and see how you react to live play against someone. It's very different playing in your room alone, or in front of people and competing with someone next to you. Based on what you said, do you mean highest score wins, on any song? If that's the case Sweet Home Alabama (Live) wins because of it's lenght and all of the 3 note chords at the end of the song, make sure to memorize the Star Power path.

Don't forget to mention that you also only get half of your note highway on anything other than single player for some strange reason (that is only known to somebody that needs to be kicked in the head for ruining multiplayer).
Erimgard  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try to find out if the tournament allows hyperspeed or not. If it doesn't, and you regularly use it, being weaning yourself immediately.
View user's profile Send private message XBL Gamertag: Erimgard Wii Friend Code: 390958806486
Benedettosoxfan  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be prepared to play how you're not used to playing. Some tourneys do no hyperspeed, crap like that. So don't bank on playing in your comfort zone. Other than that, have fun, don't pick No Sleep til Brooklyn, and kick butt in the name of Scorehero.

My Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/Benedettosoxfan
Send me a request!
TehBanStick  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Know your starpower.
Even if you have only a rough version of the optimum path, that's still 10k+ points your opponent can't have.
TerminX13  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotsmack wrote:
It's tough for us to give you any advise without knowing how the tournament is organized. You don't even have many WT scores posted for us to give you ideas on what songs to play, or really have an idea of your skill level.
Inorite, that's why I asked ScoreHero :p

And I don't really post my scores here, but I'd say I'm decent for a local level. I can pass pretty much any song you can get on the Wii, and my most notable FC's are Even Flow & Paint It Black.

Quote:
you want: A reliable guitar

loololololololool
The event provides the guitars, and if it's the ones they had pictured on thier site, it's pretty old ones. Like, GH2 style. Which I never used...>_>

Quote:
Try to find out if the tournament allows hyperspeed or not. If it doesn't, and you regularly use it, being weaning yourself immediately.
Quote:
Some tourneys do no hyperspeed, crap like that.

Lol, I don't even use HS. Danny style :p

Quote:
don't pick No Sleep til Brooklyn

Noted.
IF we get to pick the songs..

Quote:
Know your starpower.
Even if you have only a rough version of the optimum path, that's still 10k+ points your opponent can't have.

Also noted.

Accomplishments:

FrankieB  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember SP paths and don't miss notes. Don't know what else to tell you champ haha. You'll get in there and hopefully not get nervous. Always gets me.

Oh also, I hear listening to episodes of Starpower Podcast makes you insanely good at tournaments. This could be just a rumor but I've heard that it works!
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: FRANK1E B
smokyprogg  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aight 2 things, 1st somewhat obvious, 2nd not so much. Both of these have helped me win multiple tournaments.

1: Have some "ringer" songs if you can pick songs. Something with a hard part that you can hit and people will not be expecting at all. So if you can do Manhattan, NSTB would be a stupendous choice. If you can do the outro, pick Hot For Teacher. Mine is Satch Boogie because I can hit F somewhat consistently. Other good choices would be the foreign songs that no one plays as you can likely get someone sightreading them and they will DEFINITELY not know the path.

2: Keep warm. Like physicially warm. Wear a sweatshirt if the weather is cold or a light jacket if it will be warmer. Keep your hands in your pockets when you aren't playing. Doing this led me to FCing Knights of Cydonia in a tourney on the first song when it usually requires me to warm up for 30 minutes or so.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WATCH OUT FOR LAG!!!

I cannot stress this enough. Almost guaranteed to be some lag at a tourney...
2:59 alexhaz64: I'm like 6th place on that song
2:59 alexhaz64: pretty neat
2:59 alexhaz64: :p
2:59 JohnnyGrey: No Alex, I don't care how good your score is
2:59 JohnnyGrey: DAMMIT
2:59 alexhaz64: XD
alexhaz64 flexes
2:59 psxfreak101: too slow on the trigger there, boyo
2:59 alexhaz64: that seems to be the case all night
2:59 JohnnyGrey: I've been too slow a few times tonight
2:59 JohnnyGrey: GDSAKj hfask
2:59 psxfreak101: XD
2:59 alexhaz64: LMAO
2:59 alexhaz64: OMG
psxfreak101 actua-loling
powerman7t  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They pretty much wrapped it up pretty good for you.

A couple of things will help you though:

1. If you know some of the others playing in the tournament, talk to them.
They give you some inside info. Plus if you both play against each other (online or in person), compare strategies and scores.

2. At the tournament itself, look at the scores (if you can ) from the other players, so you can have an idea on what you need to do.

3. I think you have WT obviously, but play the game announced before the tournament! I cannot stress that enough! At my first and only tournament, I lost on Impulse by 1k (OUCH! This was a most wins tournament, no elimination!) (I knew the song!). But when I had to play Cat Scratch Fever, I lost by 40k. This was because I did not have GH:A at the time. (Now I have eclipsed that score)

4. Sleep well, do a 1-3 song mini practice on some medium-tier songs, and eat good.

5. You'll do fine!
Aniki  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't be afraid to tap hard sections
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Misc GH Game Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: