ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Rollingstone's top 100 guitarists of all time....BS
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chozo01  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cliff wrote:
jojo77711 wrote:
I really like Nirvana, but even I think others are more deserving of Cobain's 12th place.

Incredibly influential, genre-creating and music-changing artist, Cobain was. Good with a guitar, Cobain was not.
Since when was Nirvana the first Grunge band? They popularized the genre, yes, but I believe The Melvins beat them to the punch. And like, 10 other bands.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message XBL Gamertag: Kyle5140 Wii Friend Code: 1440336522940148
youhas  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chozo01 wrote:
Since when was Nirvana the first Grunge band? They popularized the genre, yes, but I believe The Melvins beat them to the punch. And like, 10 other bands.

Proving that there is a difference between "being the first" and "being the first to have broad-spectrum entrenchment in the minds of the masses". Did other bands technically precede them? Sure, of course... but none of them sold umpty bajillion copies and got played on endless repeat on alternarock stations coast to coast, so they "don't count".

Moral of the story: whatever you do in life, hire an excellent PR guy to push your exploits! Mr. Green (See also: Columbus, Christopher.)

Amusing the world 140 characters at a time: http://www.twitter.com/youhas
Chozo01  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

youhas wrote:
Chozo01 wrote:

Proving that there is a difference between "being the first" and "being the first to have broad-spectrum entrenchment in the minds of the masses". Did other bands technically precede them? Sure, of course... but none of them sold umpty bajillion copies and got played on endless repeat on alternarock stations coast to coast, so they "don't count".

Moral of the story: whatever you do in life, hire an excellent PR guy to push your exploits! Mr. Green (See also: Columbus, Christopher.)
O i get it now
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message XBL Gamertag: Kyle5140 Wii Friend Code: 1440336522940148
BenPierce  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No Steve Vai. I are sad.

Yes, chances are your going to fail the test if you do, but hey,
my high score for BubbleHero is 68%!
the4stringking23  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joan Jet???
WTF!!
Oh, and why is EVH in the 70's?
Did I even see Steve Vai?

Rolling Stone Mag needs to get out more.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This post has been deleted.
1337guitarist  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that rolling stone tried to put songwriting ability above actual skill at playing guitar, when it should be equal if you are evaluating the greatest guitarists ever. What really pissed me off about this list is that even the greatest guitar songwriters were not included (uh Satch and Vai anyone?). And to whoever said all Buckethead can do is shred, that is a complete lie. If I were to rank guitarists by songwriting abilities, Buckethead would be top 3 behind Satch and Petrucci. He has so many styles of playing, and yes, he can shred, but he also plays with emotion and his genres range from acoustic guitar to death metal to country songs. Buckethead is the most versatile guitarist on the planet, and if you are going to attack him, at least listen to more than his 3 most popular songs. kthxbai.
Gizzal  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1337guitarist wrote:
Buckethead is the most versatile guitarist on the planet, and if you are going to attack him, at least listen to more than his 3 most popular songs. kthxbai.

Probably the most true thing I have read all night.

Anyways, I've seen this a million times, and I disagree about almost every placement on there.

But seriously, what the hell do you expect from Rolling freaking Stone?
Muhhrtallicaz  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
12. Kurt Cobain
26. Tom Morello

That list is complete garbage.
randyrhoads  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wildgeg wrote:
what the hell is johnny ramone doing in the top 20?

im a big fan of the ramones but he was no great guitarist. nothing too impresive from him. his is good at guitar but top 100 of all time no way...

Werent the Ramones famous for using only, ya know, 3 chords??

Randy Rhoads 1 below Joan Jett Makes me want to kill.

Randy Rhoads is top 10 c'mon now!
Antilles  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotta remember Rolling Stone is written by normal people, like you and I, they tend to make mistakes as a result of being normal, and it is outdated. At least they got #1 right.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Antillez ICQ Number
Quakmybush  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

they forgot Alex Lifeson....
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Quakmybush
homeles  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

david gilmour van halen and randy rhoads (r.i.p.) should be much higher... i can agree with a few of the top ones on the list, but ive always thought rolling stone was full of shit. seriously.. see their top 500 songs list. the top two are 'like a rolling stone' by bob dylan and 'i cant get no satisfaction' by the rolling stones... i smell something shitty here

although i love nirvana, kurt cobain (r.i.p. as well) couldnt control his life let alone a guitar... and hes definately not deserving of his place on that list. he was more of a singer than a guitarist, and because of that, his guitar parts and solos are simple. it seems simple is what got people on this list
LordAnarchy  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a lot of them are just guitarists from popular old bands, i dont even think rolling stones knows that metal exists beyond metalica and black sabbath, but they dont even have dimebag on this list. the name of the list should be "the guitarists of our favorite 100 mainstream bands". +1 vote for michael amott; amazing writer/guitarist

wtf jack white #17

eddie van halen #70 ...

buckethead/yngwei malmsteen/michael angelo batio = ?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

im suprised they left out yngwie but Hendrix is #1 no doubt. I dont think theres debate about that spot.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: