ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Finalizer's Raining Blood Guide
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Guitar/Bass
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Finalizer  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 2:55 am    Post subject: Finalizer's Raining Blood Guide Reply with quote

Alright, since it seems a lot of folks are having trouble with Raining Blood, I figured I'd chip in my own strategies.

First off, some personal thoughts- I have no idea why this song is in the main setlist. With the infamous Mosh section, it easily trounces any other setlist song in terms of difficulty, and I personally find it more difficult than the Jordan solo (I'm completely serious about this). That said, it is an awesome song, and I'm glad to see it in GH- just wish it was with the bonus songs.

Also, I wont be going by the practice section names, since I find GH3's sections to be very oddly designed. It'll be pretty damn obvious what I'm referring to, so don't worry.

1. NOISE INTRO
If you're having trouble here, go back to easy, seriously.

...Though I do find it amusing to whammy all the holds and ruin the sound of the song.

2. THE RIFF
Ah, the instantly recognizable riff of Raining Blood. It's not really all that hard, just a bunch of down-strumming notes. I will say that I just slide my pinky back and forth for the parts, but that's the only advice I think I might need to give here. If you miss the SP, go ahead and restart.

3. GALLOPS
If you're not too good at gallops, practice them. You need to be in the high green when you hit the spidercrawls, so make sure you can get them. I do a sort of UDU-DUD thing with the gallops, and I think most people do as well. If you do any other patterns or whatever, just make sure it's getting you most of the notes.

There's an SP phrase you can catch here, you make damn sure you get it. If it means skipping a few gallops before it to make sure you're ready, do so, there's plenty of notes between it and the nutty section to recover the rock meter.

Vuljatar/LilMcGinley- If you're having trouble doing gallops the 'right' way, you can get away with just alt-strumming it since the timing window for GH3 is pretty open. If nothing else, it'll keep your strumming arm from wearing out as fast.

4. SPIDERCRAWLS, A.K.A. MOSH
Now we're at the 'lol fail' part, Raining Blood's equivalent of Solo B & C of Jordan. It basically looks like Freebird Solo J/Q got fucked by Jordan Solo B/C, then gave crack, speed, and 'roids to their demonic lovechild. There's some random stuff thrown in here, but anyone will agree that the main chunk of it is . It's EXTREMELY fast, clocking in around 215 BPM (16th notes IIRC), so it'll look like a giant wall of wtf.

bradsoup- Add Six & Cowboys from Hell into the orgy, with a dash of AIDS, and that pretty much sums up this section.

The number one thing to realize is this: The biggest contributing factor to passing (or failing) this song isn't getting the notes; it's getting the rhythm. Basically, whenever I fail, I can always contribute it to me losing the rhythm and falling off the pattern. When that happens, all the starpower in the world won't save your ass, because you'll be missing too many notes to keep yourself alive. If you can get a feel for the rhythm, and keep it the whole way through, you'll find it surprisingly easy to pass this section while staying in moderate yellow, even without using starpower. Fall off the pattern, and you'll be gone in an instant.

With that out of the way, here's some other bits of advice:

1. Don't try to hit everything. You'll fail before you realize you weren't hitting anything. Find a nice pattern you can continually hit and go for that, ignoring everything in between. Personally, I go for the parts, skipping the green. Occassionally, I'll go for the bits in between, just to make sure I'm not failing too quickly. I don't even go for the chords and whatnot in between, because that usually screws up my rhythm for the next chunk. I can stay cozy in the green/yellow if I stay on this pattern the whole way through (Remember- staying on the pattern is the most crucial aspect to passing this part of the song).

2. For the speed of it, I usually just go as fast as I can, since GH3's engine is pretty forgiving. Just make sure that you're strumming the notes on time, as the window to strum can be pretty small with everything going so fast (Assuming you're going by my pattern above).

3. DON'T ALT-STRUM. Downstrum when the pattern comes up again, and keep it at that. If you try to flail under starpower, you'll fail the song, guaranteed.

4. Hyperspeed: USE IT. Without it, it's incredibly difficult to distinguish where you're at, and you'll want to have at least a vague idea of what you're supposed to be doing. I personally use Hyperspeed 2 for Raining Blood, and it makes it much easier to distinguish what's going on half the time.

5. If you're feeling saucy, you could try to go for that first SP. I've noticed that it's actually not too hard to stay on the pattern for a little while at first, it's just recovering once you fall off that's the most damaging to your rock meter. If you're lucky, you might manage to snatch that bit of SP in there (Though it's very difficult- Better suited for someone going for )

6. Don't try to pass this song after an all-nighter. (Well, I did pass it around 6 A.M., but it took me a lot more tries than it should've)

5. VERSE
Before you get excited about passing the insane moshing part, MAKE SURE YOU'VE SEEN THIS PART IN PRACTICE MODE! I failed this song twice because I wasn't properly prepared for the verse, and I still usually hover around in the yellow-orange in this part because it's so hard to get a feel for the rhythm. If you're not too good at downstrumming at high speeds (I.E. Can't Six), you might just wanna try alt-strumming the whole thing since it's still at high BPM. If you can downstrum quickly, try to alternate from alt-strumming the green notes to down-strumming the chords. Considering I still kinda flail at this section ( ), there's not much advise I can give as to how to effectively hit it, just make sure you can hit it before going for passing this song.

6. BRIDGE
Easy and straightforward, so I won't go into detail. If you're going for , I'd advise using SP here (AFTER getting the SP in this section), what with all the 3-note chords here. Also keep in mind that we're back down to a more reasonable 175 BPM, so feel free to downstrum everything.

7. THE RIFF 2
Back to the main riff, just like the first one. Easy stuff, get some nice easy point out of here if you're going for .

8. BREAKDOWN
Starts out with a super-easy chord for a while, which is easy enough to do. It then moves into a wierd combination of chords & singles that might feel a bit odd, but remember that we're still at a cozy 175 BPM, so you should be able to downstrum it. Hit it in practice mode to make sure you're ready for it, you'll find it's not as tough as it might seem (If it even seems tough to you in the first place ). Grab the easy SP in there if you're going for .

9. CHORUS
This is actually surprisingly easy to do. It's the exact same pace as the last few sections (The BPM is still the same), so don't get crazy and try to alt-strum it. Just down-strum everything, maybe go into practice mode if you're not sure about it. Worst comes to worst, just make sure you hit the bits and only go for parts of the other stuff, but you really shouldn't be having trouble here anyway.

10. SOLO
Some folks seemed to get freaked out by the solo when it showed up on Youtube (In the comments IIRC), but it really isn't that hard at all. The worst of it is the trills which you can just flail at while alt-strumming. Just make sure you keep your pinky out of the equation since it probably isn't fast enough to keep up (Unless you're feeling sure of yourself; remember that you've come too far to fail now ). The random slides aren't too tough to hit either, but missing them isn't too damaging since the trills are easy enough to get. Be careful of the notes you have to strum though, make sure you don't miss them and fuck up your rock meter. You should be fine overall (Especially with the alt-strumming greens before the solo which should push you comfortably into the green). I usually end the song in the low green myself, you should be fine if you can manage to reach the solo in the first place.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Anyway, that's about it here. So far, I've got 4 stars, 2.4x multiplier IIRC. The worst of it is easily the spidercrawls; after that, it's pretty much smooth sailing. I personally have about an 80% failing rate, though it's getting better.

Good luck!

Oh snap son | Finalizer's Custom charts | Attention Internet: Before you use the word "Awesome", consider using this first.

Last edited by Finalizer on Fri Nov 02, 2007 3:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Ibanezguy350  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet man this could save my life. I was witing for one of these to pop up

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent guide, I have a good feeling that this may help me finally pass Raining Blood tonight.

One thing I would like to add, about the gallops, last night (well, this morning) at 5:30 AM when I was trying this song, I discovered that due to GH3's incredibly lenient note-timing system, you can just alt-stum at a steady speed and hit every single note of the gallops. It's much easier on your arm, so if you fail a lot like I do and like to try the song 20+ times in one sitting, I reccomend this. However, it is very easy to accidentaly stum directly in between the gallops so if you're going for a 5* you should do it the "right" way.
bradsoup  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This song is the twisted love child of Jordan and Freebird.
And Six.
And Cowboys from Hell.
And AIDS.

And no, I don't know how that works. But I do know that this song is making me want to cry and rip out my hair. And I don't think this'll help me much (Although it is good, and it made me lol. And I don't mean lqtm, I mean actually LOL)
Download and 5* Sin Documentos

GH3 Goals:
Buy Slash
Beat Expert Career
Beat Through the Fire and Flames on Expert with green tape
Same, but without green tape
LilMcGinley  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't have to play the gallops like that. With squeezing you can literally just pick faster and steady and pick up the notes. UDU-DUD turns into D D D. Hope that helps.

(Love the description of the spider crawls, dying man!)
Finalizer  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, this is already pretty popular!

@ Ibanezguy350- Glad I could help. (Kinda surprised something like this hasn't come up sooner though)

@ Vuljatar- I hadn't really thought of that, but I suppose it probably is open enough to pull that off, which is good for people who aren't good at gallops. I personally prefer to do them the 'right way', since I'm pretty good at gallops, and find them pretty fun.

@ bradsoup- Eh, it probably isn't too far from the truth anyway. This song is demonic spawn, nothing less. Just don't let yourself go bald from this song.

@LilMcGinley- Same thought as Vuljatar, I'll add the bit to the guide. As for the spidercrawl description, well,

Oh snap son | Finalizer's Custom charts | Attention Internet: Before you use the word "Awesome", consider using this first.
thecolonel  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 3:26 am    Post subject: ??? Reply with quote

this song is mentaly retarted
i beat it on sightread 3 stars
beat it 20 more times
still 3 STARS(157 000)
i dont understand it

oh and im getting progressivly worse at it(last score 130 000)
??????????????????????????????????????????????????????
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: the colonel11
KoRnflake  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ummm,I alt strum on the "MOSH!" part,and I pass it all the time and don't even have to use SP.
So Alt strumming is actally a good way.
tadjinar  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I advocate alt-strumming on the mosh-- like you said, the important part is the rhythm, and if you are actually capable of overstrumming 16ths at that speed then you probably can already 5* this song in your sleep o_o

Once I got out of "omg must pass this song" mode (and got into "omg must 5* this song" mode -_-) I switched to pull-offs using 4321 3211, but that is pretty difficult and I definitely do NOT recommend doing it until you can comfortably pass every time, and maybe 4* every few times too.

Just my 2 cents
bjwdestroyer  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You beat me to the punch

I have been writing an RB 5* guide over the past day or so now, but I'll keep working at it anyway. This guide looks more like a "how the hell do I pass this evil song!" guide anyway. Nice work.
Finalizer  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ thecolonel- If you're going for or , try taking a break for a bit before trying again. I've noticed that, after taking an hour or two away from GH, I tend to play better, so you might try that.

Other than that, I can only suggest that you practice different sections and make sure you can nail some of it. I personally find the bridge with the 3-note chords easy to get 100% on, so I usually use SP around there. Also, try to get 100% on everything before Mosh 1, that should get you about 50k right there.

@ KoRnflake- If you're passing it all the time, then you obviously don't need this guide.

Seriously though, this is more for people who can't get through the song in the first place. I wouldn't recommend someone to try to alt-strum the section if they can't hit most of it in the first place. Like I said, staying on rhythm is the most crucial aspect to passing this section, so I'd recommend someone try to figure out a pattern and stick with it before trying to flail while alt-strumming.

EDIT: Couple of folks posted before I replied, so I'll just edit this (Damn you Colbert for distracting me )

@ tadjinar- Same thoughts as with KoRnflake. For the alt-strumming, the rhythm isn't such a problem with the strumming as it is with the fretting- Personally, when I alt-strum, I tend to start to flail a bit, and then just fail out in a few seconds. I think that, by finding a distinct pattern to follow the whole way through, it's easier to stay with that pattern and keep from failing out. But, hey, whatever works for you.

@ bjwdestroyer- Yeah, this is more of a passing guide than a guide, but I tossed in extra tips for folks (Like myself ) trying to get the . If you wanna make your own topic for that, that'd be cool, I'd definitely take a look at that.

Azuarc  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of curiosity, why are you so fixated with downstrumming everything in the 175 BPM sections to the extent of specifically telling people not to alt-strum? I alt-strum essentially everything in the game, so if someone is telling me not to, I have to ask if there's a reason for it.
Finalizer  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find that most people hit things more consistently when they downstrum, and may mess up more when trying to alt-strum things, so I like to point out when it's easier to just downstrum something. Also, I think people might get freaked out by the speed of the song and try to alt-strum things that are quite easily down-strummed.

Of course, if you can alt-strum and hit everything, then stick with that. Remember that this is just a guide, and that nothing here is 'required'. If you find a different method that works better for you, by all means, use that instead. I'm just pointing out methods that have worked most reliably for me, hoping that it'll also work for other people as well.

jeremajiah  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harder than Jordan??? I don't know, it wasn't that bad for me. It took me four tries to pass the song and I got past Mosh 1 on the second try in fact before failing immediately afterwards. On the fourth try, I got it without activating SP. Having only passed Jordan once, and not being able to do it again, I still think Jordan is much harder, being so much more random. The expanded timing window on GH3 means that it clicks into place as long as you get that rhythm, as stated. Managed it without hyperspeed too. Now to get past 1% on Dragonforce...
Zamber0ni  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still honestly don't see why the spidercrawls are so hard, it might be that I rarely missed a single note in Freebird J/Q, but I passed this part w/o star power on my sightread, and have never failed at this part.

Can anyone please tell me what makes this so hard? I con honestly pull a 4x in this part most of the time and I'm none too good at the game really.

EDIT: I also refuse to use starpower, my brain can't process notes that fast, lol.

EDIT to the EDIT: Starpower = hypserspeed I mean, whoops.
GET BACK IN THE TOP 200! [230-ish]
Enlightened guitarist achievement [12/20]
Myspace.com/5179795 <---- add'em up
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Guitar/Bass All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: