Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
SG MOD: Buckethead "Killswitch"!
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nextonex  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:52 pm    Post subject: SG MOD: Buckethead "Killswitch"! Reply with quote

Like most of my mods, this mod is purely for fun, especally if your a Buckethead fan like me.

Here's what you'll need:

Phillips Screwdriver
Soldering Iron/Solder
A six inch piece of wire
Scissors
Chicken bucket, mask and wig

Start by taking the back off of your controller. You do not need to take the neck off for this mod.

Locate the circuitboard for the start and select buttons and remove the three screws. You will notice that they are labeled ST for start and SEL for select.

Mark the SELECT button on the other side of the circuit board. This will keep you from screwing up later. Cut a notch in the wire on select side. This disables the select button.

Solder one end of your wire to the SELECT solder point of the wire you just notched.

Solder the other end of your wire to either of the 2 strumbutton switch solder points. Either of the 2 in the middle will do. The outer points are to ground.

Now, place the START/SELECT board in BACKWARDS so that the select button is where the start button used to be (closest to the strap nut). Replace the 3 screws.

I painted my button red with a sharpie.

I tested this mod with Jordan, it worked great. I did not hit the start button once and I was easily able to transisition between the button and the strumbar throughout the song.

DISCLAMER: This mod disables the select button on the controller. If you feel you need select on your controller you have a couple of options.

Option 1 - Add another button for select - You can follow my instrutions for adding a select button in my starpower pickup switch mod found here: http://forum.guitarherogame.com/Default.aspx?g=posts&t=1113 You can substitute a pushbutton for the bat switch.

Option 2 - Add another button for the "killswitch" button. Follow the same directions as the link above but instead of connecting the wires to the select button, you connect them to both sides of one of the strumbutton switches on the controllers main circuit board and connecting the other ends to your pushbutton switch.

Myself, I could care less about the select button, unless you use it to activate starpower it's moot. If a future version of Guitar Hero requires the use of select i can eaisly change it back by removing the wire from the strumbar switch and connecting it back to where we cut the notch.

Using this mod while wearing a bucket on your head will not help you beat Jordan on expert
... or mabe it will?

Last edited by Nextonex on Tue Nov 21, 2006 2:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
toymachine  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if I was good with my hands I would do this- but I am way too scared I'll fuck up my guitar- oh well maybe I will try it with my broken one after repairing the already messed up cord!
Nextonex  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can fix it. go find a good soldering tutorial. Goto radio shack and get a cheap iron and some solder. Find some old computer boards and practice soldering small wires (cut up network/phone cord is a good start). It really only takes a little while to learn.

Here's a nice tutorial

http://www.kingbass.com/soldering101.html
Mordred  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What exactly does the kill switch do? I can't understand why you would want to use this at all.

(I understand on a real guitar, but not for GH)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does exactly what you'd expect it to do on a Guitar Hero guitar... it's just an alternative strum button.

Riz.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riz wrote:
It does exactly what you'd expect it to do on a Guitar Hero guitar... it's just an alternative strum button.

Riz.

Ah! That makes some sense then. You should call this a "killswitch" then, so I know not to take it literally. I couldn't figure out why you'd want to push a button to make holds end quickly when you could just as easily lift your fingers off the buttons Mr. Green

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have inspired me to make something completely amazing. And it works, just need to buy some diodes first.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: SHPhr34k Wii Friend Code: 4837355543248763
kriller  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

im so gonna do this i never use the select button anyways
Seedlesstom  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sooooo making a sitar....
Genga  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wait...so this is just another strum button?
Sottle  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riz wrote:

Riz.
View user's profile Send private message XBL Gamertag: Sottle PSN Name: Sottle Wii Friend Code: 1365547015982980
Nextonex  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mordred wrote:
Riz wrote:

Riz.

Ah! That makes some sense then. You should call this a "killswitch" then, so I know not to take it literally. I couldn't figure out why you'd want to push a button to make holds end quickly when you could just as easily lift your fingers off the buttons Mr. Green

Point taken, sorry for the confusion.

Yea, watch some Buckethead video's, especally Jordan and you'll get a better understanding. It's just a "for fun" mod.
Nextonex  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mordred wrote:
What exactly does the kill switch do? I can't understand why you would want to use this at all.

(I understand on a real guitar, but not for GH)

It's so you can play Jordan like Buckethead. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pytlmRmxZkA

It actually simulated it pretty good if you use the HO/PO's
Kegermann  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 3:54 am    Post subject: Re: SG MOD: Buckethead "Killswitch"! Reply with quote

Nextonex wrote:
Now, place the START/SELECT board in BACKWARDS so that the select button is where the start button used to be (closest to the strap nut). Replace the 3 screws.

Does it matter if it is put back in the normal way or not?
View user's profile Send private message XBL Gamertag: MKegermann PSN Name: Kegermann
TehBanStick  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 5:39 am    Post subject: Re: SG MOD: Buckethead "Killswitch"! Reply with quote

Kegermann wrote:
Nextonex wrote:

Does it matter if it is put back in the normal way or not?

I believe it is switched to make it similar to BH's.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: