ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Is it possible to extract GH2 tracks to mp3?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nextonex  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 7:55 pm    Post subject: Is it possible to extract GH2 tracks to mp3? Reply with quote

Is it possible to make mp3's of the songs in Guitar Hero 2? I have all the originals in mp3 but I'l like to listen to the covers because sometimes they are a little different than the originals. I listen to the GH2 music in traffic so I can learn the songs better.

Thanks!
Frostilicus  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What, do you run an S&M dungeon and need some background music or something? Some of the covers are ok, I guess...but I can't think of one that's in any way an improvement on the original! Find live versions or something...
Kataris  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer most of the covers, because they're what I know. A lot of these songs I've never heard before.
Yeah, that's my thoughts exactly. Then it'll be, "Well, maybe I can press the pedal with my forehead..." I'd be in a full-body cast at that rate. I can just see myself all wrapped up on a hospital bed in the dark. "I'm...a...high...way...star..." *sniffle*
Nextonex  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have all the originals but if I listen to the songs in the game enough, I'll subconciously learn the songs.

So is there a utility that pulls the music and makes it mp3?
alvarado6411  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also want to know how to do this because I want to find out the length of Hangar 18 because I know it has some audio in the beginning and I want to replace it with the original one.
Blooooo  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't mind slightly illegalities, [we mind. --Riz].
wParam  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have a utility to do the job completely, but I did do this myself for the bonus songs. I used existing utilities to extract the .vgs files, wrote a quick program to split them, used Mfaudio to translate the raw tracks to wave, used soundforge to upsample the bass tracks that were at half the rate and then translate them all to raw 16 bit signed pcm files, used another utility I threw together to mix the three tracks into one, then soundforge again to convert back to wave and trim off some of the space around the edges and finally resample to 44,100. Easy!

Seriously, though, I wish I could just post them somewhere, because I would not wish having to do that on anyone, it took forever and was fraught with peril (by which I mean chances to screw it up, especially with the sample rate conversions). And, once I was done, I was left wondering whether I should have done something different in mixing them to give more volume to the vocal/backup track. It's really obvious in Carry Me Home, the vocals are really quiet relative to the guitar part. (Is the original version like that?)

I'd be happy to post the utility I made to assist in the process, but it's probably not that useful as it is, as it only does a small part of the overall process, mostly because I was in "just get it done, screw doing it right" mode. Does anyone have source code for converting that ps2 sound format to a wav file? With that I might be able to make a more complete utility that could at least output a complete wav file (at whatever the game's sample rate was). I think it was difficulties in finding this code that led me to the method I used. In the end, I bet it would have been a lot less frustrating to have just looked harder to find the translation code and written a complete utility from the start.

Sorry, I seem to be on a roll of mostly unhelpful forum posts tonight. I really need to go to bed, it's now 6:50 am and I'm still awake. If you want the code I have, just say so and I'll throw it up somewhere. If you have documentation about the conversion algorithm from XA-whatever format to wave, maybe I can spend tomorrow getting something useful together.
ImaCarrot  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll take that utility that'll split the .vgs into the seperate .vag streams. The one I have was made for GH1 so it only looks for 4 streams, won't work on songs that use more than that. Mr. Green
wParam  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get the program along with source code at http://207.210.96.245/guitarmod/gh2rip.zip. It's just a command line tool, with poor docs even by command line tool standards.

If you want to use it, you'll use the -split option, so if you're trying to split jessica.vgs, you'd enter:

gh2rip -split jessica.vgs

It will create one file per stream in the directory you run it from. The names you'll get will be jessica-1-[sample rate].bin. Make sure you feed the right sample rate to the vag converter or it won't come out correctly.

If anyone cares, the join operation is done with -join:

gh2rip -join jessica1.raw jessica2.raw ... jessica6.raw

It will accept anywhere from 4 to 6 files on the command line. If five are given, the last one is assumed to be a mono bass track and is applied equally to both channels. Each file needs to be signed, 16-bit raw PCM data. You could give it a bunch of wav files but you'll get a garbled wav file as a result. You don't need to worry about clipping, the mixing is done with 64 bit floating point numbers and then the whole result is scaled back to a little less than 100% of a 16 bit sound before output. The output goes into a file named [first parameter]-final.raw. (So in the above example the output would go into jessica1.raw-final.raw.)

(Well, I said it was pretty bad, didn't I?)
TheGlow  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ill say a couple things.
I already have all songs from gh1 and gh2, as in the game from wavegroup, already in mp3, and never ran a single editing program.
this is the internet people.
Think!
ImaCarrot  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have them as well, the GH2 versions I have I didn't rip from the disc myself though and they aren't the greatest quality. Plus, I want the seperate tracks for a little something else I'm doing, you guys will see soon. Mr. Green
LocalH  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wParam wrote:
And, once I was done, I was left wondering whether I should have done something different in mixing them to give more volume to the vocal/backup track. It's really obvious in Carry Me Home, the vocals are really quiet relative to the guitar part.

I've noticed this in playing the game, especially with TIGRYT. My solution is to set the backing to be two game units louder than the guitar or the other sfx (so I have "band" set to 10, and the others set to 8). This, to me, seems to balance it out a little better. Dunno if this will help you, but it's there if it does.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: