ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
What would you think about "6-star" ratings?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> ScoreHero Announcements
View previous topic :: View next topic  

After reading the first post. Would you like scorehero to add a derived higher difficulty rating for 6-stars?
Absolutely. This is an excellent idea.
69%
 69%  [ 114 ]
Maybe.
14%
 14%  [ 23 ]
No. Just stick with the game's ratings.
15%
 15%  [ 26 ]
Total Votes : 163

JCirri  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaximusDM wrote:
Noooooooooooooooo!
I earned some of my 2/1 Stars. I want them to be recognized.

They can be recognized as 2 stars, but I don't see how to define a 1-star though.
MaximusDM wrote:
And JCirri, I don't think those people submitting 0 as a score should be allowed to submit because they obviously didn't pass the song with a 0 let alone have 5 stars on it.

I'm guessing the reasoning behind users submitting scores of 0 is to see where they rank (at the bottom obviously, but to see how many people there are), and then when they pass the song they'll see their rank improve. But I can see your point that they aren't true scores. So perhaps I'll still allow scores of 0, but they'll be marked as non-rankable. Meaning they won't show up on the rankings page. This was a concept I implemented to remove false scores from rankings without deleting them, but it seems to be applicable in this case as well.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So...is this still in the works?

I'm just wondering, because this is a really good idea and it should be implemented.

I would also like the 3 star cutoffs in there.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

in order to find the 6 star cutoff, either the five star or four star cutoff must be confirmed for each song. it wouldnt make sense to post just some of them, so i think they are waiting until they can figure out all of them. Also, JCirri has school work, i think?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As soon as the cutoffs have been proven for the songs I will be able to do this. Feel free to help me, anyone. gweeto has been doing some nice work recently proving some Medium cutoffs, myself and Echelar have done a good bit on Expert and ES942 helped verify CBfH 5-stars. We need more people to help out to get everything done.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drakken wrote:
I like that idea. And I agree with Maximus; it should still be shown as 5 stars, just make them gold or blinking or something.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: plasticguitar ICQ Number
tommywingy  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tommy likey Mr. Green
MetalMadness  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read through this post and I don't think I missed this. 5 star cutoffs must be divisible by three. Simply by their definition, they are 3 * base score. Even if the base score isn't an integer - which I think it most likely is - then the 5* cutoff will be still be 3* a fractional number - which will still have a factor of three in it. This would also hold true for the 4 star cutoffs being divisible by 2 as well.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an idea for star rankings.

1 Star cutoff: More than 0
2 Star cutoff: 0.75 * Base Score
3 Star cutoff: 1 * Base Score
4 Star cutoff: 2 * Base Score
5 Star cutoff: 3 * Base Score
6 Star cutoff: 4 * Base Score

I think that pretty much follows the pattern, but I doubt every song's base score is divisible by 4.

And about six stars, I don't like the idea of having them flashing, it would be annoying to go to a users rankings on easy difficulty and see 245(49*5) flashing stars on the page. I'd rather have them a different color.

Also, it'd be nice if every song that didn't have a score submitted started with 0 stars, 0% notes hit, 0 note streak, and 0 points. Then users would want to fill in every song so they didn't have zeros lowering their point average.
ES942  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

would a 7 star be 4/3 * 6 star cutoff?
trofl  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ES942 wrote:
would a 7 star be 4/3 * 6 star cutoff?

Well, if we're going to go with the natural progression and say a 7_star_cutoff = (5 * base_score), it would be (5/4) * 6_star_cutoff
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: wxtrofl
JCirri  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haggarduser wrote:
I think that pretty much follows the pattern, but I doubt every song's base score is divisible by 4.

Hmm, how does "2 Star cutoff: 0.75 * Base Score" follow the pattern? The pattern is a linear progression.

If anything I would think the following would be most appropriate:

(2 Star cutoff: 0)
3 Star cutoff: 1 * Base Score (or zero if no 2-star cutoffs)
4 Star cutoff: 2 * Base Score
5 Star cutoff: 3 * Base Score
6 Star cutoff: 4 * Base Score
(7 Star cutoff: 5 * Base Score)

Where the ones in parenthesis are up for debate.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it was silly of Harmonix to not actually include 0, 1 and 2 * rankings as the base points instead of starting at 3*. Sure, 5 sounds much more impressive than 3, but it isn't exactly accurate. Maybe it was to make the people that suck feel better. I remember the first time that I played I did "I Wanna Be Sedated" on Medium, I got 3 stars and my friend who brought the game over complimented my 3 stars. =P

Either way, we could technically use a formula to determine cut-offs.
So if we say that
7* = 5/4(6*),
6* = 4/3 (5*)
5* = 3/2 (4*)
4* = 2 (3*)
3* = undefined (1/0)(2*)
2* = (0/-1)(1*)
1* = (-1/-2)(0*). So realistically, anything under 3 stars doesn't make sense without going outside the boundaries of the game's rules. THere isn't even such a thing as a 3* cutoff.

If no one understands that, here is another way to look at the formula, with slightly different results:
bp = base points
7* = 6* + bp
6* = 5* + bp
5* = 4* + bp
4* = 3* + bp
3* = 2* + bp
2* = 1* + bp
1* = 0* + bp

If 4* is the same as 2bp, then technically 3* = bp, 2* = 0, 1* = -bp and 0* =-2bp. So in essence 2*, 1* and 0* can't exist unless you get negative points (or 0 points using cheats for 2*).

Edit: I suppose I was just reiterating what was already said earlier in the thread. I just think that adding lower *'s to the game takes it out of its element. 6* is just an added challenge for skilled players.

Last edited by Huwonk on Fri Aug 04, 2006 2:30 pm; edited 3 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: Huwonk
Azuarc  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your performance was only worth 1 star, you would have been booed off the stage. The crowd wouldn't accept you, and allow the song to be "completed" if it weren't at least a 3-star performance.
Huwonk  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a good enough reason for me, Azuarc.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What if you allowed users who failed a song to submit how far they got through the song, and gave them a star rating depending on what percent they got.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> ScoreHero Announcements All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: