ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
What would you think about "6-star" ratings?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> ScoreHero Announcements
View previous topic :: View next topic  

After reading the first post. Would you like scorehero to add a derived higher difficulty rating for 6-stars?
Absolutely. This is an excellent idea.
69%
 69%  [ 114 ]
Maybe.
14%
 14%  [ 23 ]
No. Just stick with the game's ratings.
15%
 15%  [ 26 ]
Total Votes : 163

InvadErGII  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah...that makes more sense. So how would the 1 or 2 star thing work that was mentioned? I don't think I got all the terminology there.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

InvadErGII wrote:
Ah...that makes more sense. So how would the 1 or 2 star thing work that was mentioned? I don't think I got all the terminology there.

If you haven't read the scoring FAQ, the way the cutoffs work is as follows. For each song if you add up all the possible points all at a 1x multiplier, you get a total which we'll call the "base_score" for the song. Then cutoffs are calculated as follows:

4-star cutoff = 2 * base_score
5-star cutoff = 3 * base_score

This generally means that you need to average a 2x multiplier to get 4-stars and 3x to get 5-stars. So naturally, there could be a 6-star cutoff for averaging a 4x multiplier.

6-star cutoff = 4 * base_score

This score would always be possible to obtain for every song, but not without using at least some star power (since it takes 30 notes to get up to 4x, you must use star power to bring the average multiplier up to 4x).

A 3-star cutoffs would still be based on the same scale as follows:

3-star cutoff = 1 * base_score

To define the lowest cutoff (2-stars), there's two way it could be done.

1.) Alter the scale of the ratings and calculate it as 0.5*base_score or something similar.

2.) I can add an option for passing a song. If you fail, you would get a score of 0 with 1-star. Then 2-stars would be defined from 0 to the base_score (from the 3-star cutoff above).

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JCirri wrote:

To define the lowest cutoff (2-stars), there's two way it could be done.

1.) Alter the scale of the ratings and calculate it as 0.5*base_score or something similar.

2.) I can add an option for passing a song. If you fail, you would get a score of 0 with 1-star. Then 2-stars would be defined from 0 to the base_score (from the 3-star cutoff above).

3.) Have no 1 star scores.

For option one, would it even be possible to clear a song with a score that low without abusing glitches? I believe there were some people who wanted to compete for low scores but I don't really know if there is enough interest in that for it to be worthwhile.

For option two, why would we want to enter a failed score? I guess you could have fails and then list the percentage of song completed... but bah.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
3.) Have no 1 star scores.

But my newly created Miss Attack account does! ^_^

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blah wrote:
For option two, why would we want to enter a failed score?

Many people have already done so even though I don't have an option for it, by submitting scores of 0. So instead of faking this, it could be defined.

But yeah, I'm kind of leaning toward the idea of not having a 2-star cutoff (meaning no 1-star ratings). The 3-star and 6-star cutoffs seem much more logical to add than the 2-star cutoff.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that having a 2-star cutoff is not very useful, since you'd have to do really, intentionally bad to achieve only one star. On the other hand, if the cutoffs are all known, then it's hardly any work to add the capability. Aside from the odd wacky guy such as MaximusDM-MA... or myself (), it shows thoroughness that I think the site should have.

If you want to allow entering failed songs, 0 stars is more appropriate in my opinion.

Bark at the Zoo
deathtongue  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I don't like the idea. I'm a purist... I figure if there is no such thing as 1- and 2-star (or 6-star) ratings in the game, there shouldn't be in the website either. At that point it goes beyond being strictly a score tracking website and becomes something else. The same goes for recording incompletes as 0 points... if you fail the song you should try again until you can pass it, and THEN enter your score.

But that's just my 2 cents...

Goal: 5* Hard
FOP [X]
PP(LL) [X]
OFTR [X]
6 [3.6]
TH [4.0]
Atremains  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i agree, excellent idea
HsAxTakexIt (4:37:20 AM): XD
HsAxTakexIt (4:37:35 AM): too bad your elbow doesnt have a finger to push select
HsAxTakexIt (4:37:57 AM): the next evolution of man : the elbow finger
JCirri  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

deathtongue wrote:
Personally I don't like the idea. I'm a purist...

I appreciate your opinion, you bring up some good points.
deathtongue wrote:
I figure if there is no such thing as 1- and 2-star (or 6-star) ratings in the game, there shouldn't be in the website either. At that point it goes beyond being strictly a score tracking website and becomes something else.

The ratings would all be based on the same scale used to derive the 4-star and 5-star cutoffs within the game. In fact, you can think of the new ratings as subsets of the existing ones (6-stars as a higher subset of 5-stars, and 2-stars a lower subset of 3-stars). To reinforce this idea, instead of actually displaying 2-stars or 6-stars, I could still display 3-stars and 5-stars just like the game except modify the images (such that, i.e. "2-stars" would be shown as 3 gray stars, and "6-stars" would be shown as 5 flashing stars).

This would still indicate the true ratings assigned by the game itself, except color code them based on derived cutoffs by extending the scale of the game's ratings using its same logic.
deathtongue wrote:
The same goes for recording incompletes as 0 points... if you fail the song you should try again until you can pass it, and THEN enter your score.

Within the game, it does indicate your % completion for failed attempts. So I don't think having a feature to record incomplete scores is anything beyond what the game does. If you think "0" is inappropriate as the score, it could be changed to "N/A" or something else. By adding this, I would have some kind of checkbox for failed scores, if you check the box you would then enter your "% completion".

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SkepticalMario wrote:
I agree that having a 2-star cutoff is not very useful, since you'd have to do really, intentionally bad to achieve only one star. On the other hand, if the cutoffs are all known, then it's hardly any work to add the capability. Aside from the odd wacky guy such as MaximusDM-MA... or myself (), it shows thoroughness that I think the site should have.

The problem is to define a 2-star cutoff I would need to change the scale for calculating cutoffs:

2-star cutoff = 0 * base_score
3-star cutoff = 1 * base_score
4-star cutoff = 2 * base_score
5-star cutoff = 3 * base_score
6-star cutoff = 4 * base_score

Using that scale, the 2-star cutoff would be 0 which doesn't make sense. I don't think I should make up my own rules for calculating cutoffs. If I derive any new cutoffs for ratings they would be based on the game's original logic.

SkepticalMario wrote:
If you want to allow entering failed songs, 0 stars is more appropriate in my opinion.

Now I'm thinking that "N/A" would be most appropriate for this.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

personally, i dont think there should be 2 star ratings. if someone cant beat the song, then why would they bother posting the score as zero? it doesn't give them any benefit whatsoever, and if they want to explain how close they came to passing the song, post in the forum.

but i do like the idea of 6 star ratings..

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ES942 wrote:
personally, i dont think there should be 2 star ratings. if someone cant beat the song, then why would they bother posting the score as zero? it doesn't give them any benefit whatsoever, and if they want to explain how close they came to passing the song, post in the forum.

but i do like the idea of 6 star ratings..

2-star ratings can exist if you get anything less than the "3-star cutoff", which I would define as 1*base_score (just the base_score itself). So you can still pass a song and get "2-stars" by averaging less than a 1x multiplier.

The problem is with making a "2-star cutoff", which would be used to define 1-star ratings, I can't calculate such a cutoff without changing the game's cutoff scale. So I think based on what you've said I will not have a 2-star cutoff, although 3-star cutoffs (hence 2-star ratings) can still exist.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry i meant to say cutoffs not ratings

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I will not have a 2-star cutoff

Noooooooooooooooo!
I earned some of my 2/1 Stars. I want them to be recognized.
And JCirri, I don't think those people submitting 0 as a score should be allowed to submit because they obviously didn't pass the song with a 0 let alone have 5 stars on it.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JCirri wrote:
Within the game, it does indicate your % completion for failed attempts. So I don't think having a feature to record incomplete scores is anything beyond what the game does. If you think "0" is inappropriate as the score, it could be changed to "N/A" or something else. By adding this, I would have some kind of checkbox for failed scores, if you check the box you would then enter your "% completion".

This makes sense... good point. Having some way of indicating whether the attempt was a pass/fail and tracking the completion percentage for failed attempts would be a more accurate representation.

On somewhat of a tangent... just last night I was reading about Jason Becker. I'd never heard of him before, although I had heard of Marty Friedman and Cacophony. For those of you who don't know the story, he was a guitar prodigy who was diagnosed with ALS at a young age and is now a paraplegic. It must have been the worst feeling for him to have to give up his talent that way! Truly a tragic story.

Goal: 5* Hard
FOP [X]
PP(LL) [X]
OFTR [X]
6 [3.6]
TH [4.0]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> ScoreHero Announcements All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: