Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Help on creating a note chart...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
whiskeyface  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 3:35 pm    Post subject: Help on creating a note chart... Reply with quote

Greetings.

I read the "Custom Song FAQ" and gained a lot of knowledge of where to get once I have a chart completed, but I don't see any help on how to create a note chart in there, which is where I'm lost. I see the recommended programs, but those were obviously not created for the Score Hero community and serve the purpose of creating MIDI based music.

So, what am I supposed to do. I checked out Freetar Hero, which seems to be an "easy" answer to my problem, but it's still in BETA form and has many flaws. There's got to be an easier way to creating a chart than FH.

Now, I have some questions before someone points me into the direction of a tutorial I might have missed. Are Anvil Studio and MIDI Maestro anything like Proppellorhead Reason or Guitar Pro/PowerTab/TabIt?

1) I'm guessing that when you create a note chart in a MIDI sequencer, you're supposed to have a track per bullet and place a note when you want that bullet to be played in Guitar Hero. Is that right?

2) Would I be able to create note charts with any of the programs I mentioend above? Reason looks to me like a MIDI sequencer, but I don't know the difference. The last three are Guitar Tablature programs used to transpose music into MIDI format, whether it be copyrighted or original material.

If my guess on question one is correct, then I'm pretty sure I could use the tablture programs to create the bullets and when they'll be hit, then use Reason to create the 5 tracks and import the MIDI, thus creating a note chart.

I'd really like to know soon. I ordered a Flip Top for my PSTwo so I can play backup games, and I want to get started on some note charts and have one finished by the time it gets here next week. The sooner I create charts, the sooner I can share them.
keyboardsamurai  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freetar Hero (the game portion is in beta as well as the editor).

The editor is listed as beta, but i've used it many times.

I fine midi maestro way to complicated for making a note chart.

*Freetar EDITOR* is the best way to go.

Here is a vid demostrantion of freetar editor
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzM4BjfzJQY

Once you are done creating the SNG in freetar. You are going to have to convert it to MID and to Guitar Hero 1 or 2 standards.
whiskeyface  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find that it's a bit inconvenient. I'm having trouble working it and I won't ask for help because I understand I can visit the Freetar forum for help. But, if these programs I mentioned will work, then I'd rather save myself the trouble and do it the easy way.

Even though I can slow down the speed, it's a bit difficult to get the bullet right on. Then I can't figure out how to go back and add bullets to create chord. It would be simple if the bars were set according to a certain time signature/tempo. This is why I'd rather know if there is an easier alternative.

EDIT:

Okay, okay. So, I started playing with it a bit and I'm starting to find it easier, but still not easier than my alternative which is why I'd like to know if it would work.
Meteodragoon  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Help on creating a note chart... Reply with quote

whiskeyface wrote:
Greetings.

I read the "Custom Song FAQ" and gained a lot of knowledge of where to get once I have a chart completed, but I don't see any help on how to create a note chart in there, which is where I'm lost. I see the recommended programs, but those were obviously not created for the Score Hero community and serve the purpose of creating MIDI based music.

I guess my thread is invisible...

http://www.scorehero.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4025
whiskeyface  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, it was. That was a pretty good tutorial. It gave me a very good understanding on how the game reads the MIDI. I think I might be able to use a different program, if not for the entire process of creating a note chart, then to just create the T1 Gems track. A question "TRIGGERS" "ANIM" and "EVENTS" important at all?
ImaCarrot  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can use Guitar Pro to write a tab and convert it to Midi, I've done it that way as well. Never used the other programs though, so your guess is as good as mine. Just remember that GH only uses 5 frets...
whiskeyface  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I created a track with five strings, each string being a bullet on Expert difficulty (C-G8). I'm writing a bit to test it out, but I still need to go through the importing proccess which I'm sure I can handle with the tutorials given.

Carrot, since you've tried this method before, or something close to it, were the other tracks that I mentioned in my last post necessary to get the MIDI to work.

Another question was sustaining notes. If I want them to be short or long, would I edit them as I do in Guitar Pro as if I were tabbing the song, in other words putting a rest in front of the note makes a normal bullet, and if I let it ring in GP will it sustain in Guitar Hero?
Jikkir  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whiskeyface wrote:
Another question was sustaining notes. If I want them to be short or long, would I edit them as I do in Guitar Pro as if I were tabbing the song, in other words putting a rest in front of the note makes a normal bullet, and if I let it ring in GP will it sustain in Guitar Hero?

Wouldn't it make more sense if the length of the note (minim, quaver etc) in GP determined the length in GH?

I'm new to this too though, so :P

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is that way that notes are processed. 1/8 and longer notes are considered sustained.
Riz  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, Guitar Hero really has no concept of note "length" (minim, quaver, etc). This is one of the reasons why all songs in GH are in X/4 time, because the 4 (quarter note gets the beat) doesn't really mean anything, because there are no quarter or any other "length" notes, really.

This does make trying to design a note chart in an editor that uses note lengths rather difficult, and limited (as you would be restricted to making sustains only as long as specific note values, although perhaps you could cheat things with ties, I don't know if that would work or not, but it's still awkward). Midi sequencers, which allow you to "draw" a note from the note on event through the note off event, are much better conceptually suited to how GH actually handles the data internally.

Riz.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riz wrote:
Unfortunately, Guitar Hero really has no concept of note "length" (minim, quaver, etc). This is one of the reasons why all songs in GH are in X/4 time, because the 4 (quarter note gets the beat) doesn't really mean anything, because there are no quarter or any other "length" notes, really.

This does make trying to design a note chart in an editor that uses note lengths rather difficult, and limited (as you would be restricted to making sustains only as long as specific note values, although perhaps you could cheat things with ties, I don't know if that would work or not, but it's still awkward). Midi sequencers, which allow you to "draw" a note from the note on event through the note off event, are much better conceptually suited to how GH actually handles the data internally.

Riz.

Very nice way of putting it

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using TabIt, which is tablature program like Guitar Pro, and for the most part, Anvil and GHEx read the sustaining notes well. There are some anal details with Guitar Hero, I guess, that cause some notes that I wrote to sustain get cut short, no matter what, which is fine with me. Orchidia was the victim of that, but it was only 2 minor notes.

Star Power I have to do in Anvil by stretching it though. It won't work if I do it the same way with the notes, which I don't mind.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what your doing is making the song with open strings in that tuning in GP, exporting it as a midi to Anvil, stretching the star power notes, and there's your midi file?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jikkir wrote:
So what your doing is making the song with open strings in that tuning in GP, exporting it as a midi to Anvil, stretching the star power notes, and there's your midi file?

err... not exactly, as even while playing the same string, you will find necessary to use two or more frets in GH. I think the best way to translate notes is exporting the tab without modifying it to midi. Then, edit them in Anvil/MM, watching the guitar notes and writing at the same track GH notes, so it is hard to make errors copying. Then just delete the real guitar notes, and leave GH ones.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Software All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: