ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
League Discussion/Recruitment/Information
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Leagues -> Past Seasons
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What did you think about the GHII Leagues?
Awesome! I had a lot of fun, and improved some of my scores too!
69%
 69%  [ 79 ]
I like the idea, but I just couldn't devote the time to it
19%
 19%  [ 22 ]
It's got potential, but really needs some work on details
5%
 5%  [ 6 ]
DUMBEST...IDEA...EVER, what were you thinking?
0%
 0%  [ 1 ]
GHII Leagues? Huh?
5%
 5%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 114

Javman158  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 6:59 am    Post subject: League Discussion/Recruitment/Information Reply with quote

Now that the inaugural season is over with, I would like to know what you all thought about the leagues. If you have any ideas on how the leagues could be improved, please speak your mind. Feedback about everything and anything is appreciated. You can give feedback on participant maxs/mins, time frames for scores, the songs and twists, how I did in running the leagues (and Barfo for keeping records for AA), or anything else that comes to mind.

If the next season has as many people or more than this inaugural season did, I will definitely require assistance, as once school starts I will no longer be able to devote the several hours per week to this. If you would like to help out, please tell me what it is you would like to help with. If you really have no preference, that is fine as well.

Current Master List - Twists

Code:
Twist Master List:

1  - No SP
2  - Mirror Mode
3  - Performance Mode
4  - 0/X SP
5  - Opposite Hand
6  - < note streak
7  - < note percentage
8  - low score
9  - upstrum only
10 - no whammy allowed
11 - play standing, no strap

Code:
League Commissioner (select songs/twists, collect scores, input scores, etc)

AAA - Barfo

AA  - Javman158

A   - rabies

B/C - elx

The "so-and-so got mauled by bears, we need a temp commish to cover for one week 'til they're out of the hospital" alternate - youhas

Alternate for Feb/March - swat.funk

Participants for Hard/Medium League (If there are enough for both we can split them into 2 separate leagues as was initially intended)

B - Total: 1

tpalkki

C - Total: 1

Ganz

Also, the more feedback I get, the sooner we can get the next season up and running. I would like to be able to start the next season by January 14th, but we could go as early as the 7th or as late as the 21st depending on what sort of feedback I get.

Lastly, I have gotten a few PMs concerning GHI leagues. I will not be capable of running leagues for both GHI and GHII, so to those who PMed and got responses from me, you are free to do as you wish. (AKA keep an eye out for GHI leagues to be started by another forum member).

I hope those of you who participated had some fun doing this. I know I got frustrated doing some of the songs, but I also did enjoy myself trying to figure out some things.

I think I covered everything, so have at it everybody!

Last edited by Javman158 on Tue Jan 09, 2007 3:36 am; edited 9 times in total
wupun  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm waitin for the next league cos I registered to the site right in the middle of the last one. From what i saw it looked cool and a lot of the songs were close. So how long do u think it will be til the next one gets started, any idea?
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message MSN Messenger PSN Name: Wupun
Dragondarch  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only problem I had (mostly toward the end, and would be from now on) is that I just don't have quite enough time in 7 days to get "good" scores on 5 songs. If each "week" was in actuality 2 (or even 3 maybe?) weeks I'd have no issue since I wouldn't be rushed to get everything done. Between work and a social life, only having 1 week just isn't quite enough.

Also, in response to a GH1 league...why not combine it into one league? Take songs from both games and toss 'em in. There's 111 songs so it at least would keep the songs fresh.

Last edited by Dragondarch on Wed Jan 03, 2007 1:13 pm; edited 2 times in total
Sottle  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree with the inability to get 5 good scores in a week. Especially with having to work out a strategy for a twist like 0/X SP. Although that could be partly down to the last two weeks falling over the Xmas holidays...

Overall, i have to say a pretty big success

View user's profile Send private message XBL Gamertag: Sottle PSN Name: Sottle Wii Friend Code: 1365547015982980
mninp  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started a GH1 League. Look for it in rivalries. I only have 2 other people besides myself, so i really need other people to join. It's only on round 2 now, so you can still join. You could also just PM me your scores for the 1st round and i'll add them in.
Telal  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got into the game(s) mid december, found this site even later.

i'm waiting for a B league to start up.

I didn't vote because there wasn't an option for someone who loves the idea, but didn't participate in one.
youhas  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a lot of fun participating in the league. Didn't always do as well as I might have hoped for, but had a blast all the same, and improved a number of Expert scores I'd thought I'd utterly plateaued on. I know I'd certainly be up for another league go-around.

I will admit, it's sometimes difficult to get supreme scores on five different songs in only seven days, but I think that's an endearing part of the challenge. Focusing on one or two songs for all-or-nothing shots at glory, or spreading your attention amongst all the entries in hopes of getting solid scores across the board - strategic time management comes into play, which I enjoy.

(Really, the biggest downside is that the amount of time any given player has available for playing during a given week can be all over the map. I had gaming time to burn during Week 2, so I placed very well there; Week 3, I was much more busy with other things, and my scores suffered accordingly. But that's apt to happen no matter what sort of setup you design and however long you give folks to get their scores in.)

The only amendment I really would've liked was having the "vote for the twist" morphed into "suggest songs and twists, which League Commissioner Javman158 will take under advisement when selecting something suitably awesome". You know, to prevent something that really struck your fancy as Very Cool from being trumped by something too difficult or too gimmicky that just happened to have a following. But that might just be me.

(I also thought briefly about how awesome it would be to have a League full of head-to-head matchups, where everyone played everyone else round robin style and you used the end-of-season records to determine playoff seeding. Then I remembered that dude, we have problems enough getting people to submit their scores every week, and you could have really weird results where someone coasted to a high seeding because their competitors kept randomly flaking. So never mind. )

On balance, though: awesome job, yo, and I look forward to another league iteration in the near future.

Amusing the world 140 characters at a time: http://www.twitter.com/youhas
sluggo  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked the league idea and appreciate all the time put into it. In the future, you'd probably want someone to help manage each league instead of one person trying to do it all.

I was a little bummed that people started dropping out of the AAA league en masse after the first week. My first week's scores were based on very little playtime, and I missed the entire second week due to the holidays, but I still kept at it. I wish more people had stuck it out.

I'd agree that 5 songs is a lot for a week. I think I'd rather see maybe 3 songs per week over 4 weeks, then a 2-week playoff (final 4, then final 2). I would have loved to see a Wulfe/ES final.

As far as twists go, I think I'd like to see variants that are somehow provable: closest to a particular score, longest streak, lowest score, etc. I don't necessarily think photos should be required, but at least possible, which isn't the case for variants like no-HO's or no sound.

Last: I'd like to stay in the top division, but it would probably be a futile effort on my part unless Wulfe or ES suddenly develop acute Boneitis.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sluggo wrote:
I liked the league idea and appreciate all the time put into it. In the future, you'd probably want someone to help manage each league instead of one person trying to do it all.

I was a little bummed that people started dropping out of the AAA league en masse after the first week. My first week's scores were based on very little playtime, and I missed the entire second week due to the holidays, but I still kept at it. I wish more people had stuck it out.

I'd agree that 5 songs is a lot for a week. I think I'd rather see maybe 3 songs per week over 4 weeks, then a 2-week playoff (final 4, then final 2). I would have loved to see a Wulfe/ES final.

As far as twists go, I think I'd like to see variants that are somehow provable: closest to a particular score, longest streak, lowest score, etc. I don't necessarily think photos should be required, but at least possible, which isn't the case for variants like no-HO's or no sound.

Last: I'd like to stay in the top division, but it would probably be a futile effort on my part unless Wulfe or ES suddenly develop acute Boneitis.

When some of the users quit before it began, the competition kind of left. Well sure, having a 4 person league isn't bad, but it'd be better with more people. Also, myself being one, there were many victims of late scores, or forgetting to turn them in. I simply forgot about the first week and I suffered a 4th place...by 2 points. I think that now that people know about the league, they're more likely to stay in tune with it and remember to turn in scores one time.

Oh yeah, and I can arrange ES's future use of his fingers...
Kecos  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

youhas wrote:

(I also thought briefly about how awesome it would be to have a League full of head-to-head matchups, where everyone played everyone else round robin style and you used the end-of-season records to determine playoff seeding. Then I remembered that dude, we have problems enough getting people to submit their scores every week, and you could have really weird results where someone coasted to a high seeding because their competitors kept randomly flaking. So never mind. )

On balance, though: awesome job, yo, and I look forward to another league iteration in the near future.

I think you did a great job on the leagues, and I like youhas's round-robin idea, however, if they don't submit scores, well, that's their loss, literally XD
Barfo  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a couple of ideas for the polls. First off maybe we should keep a master list of possible twist types (left handed, mirror, no SP, missing fingers, <X ns, <X ns, y/X SP, no alt strum, performance mode, etc) and everybody votes on twist for that week separate from song (good idea youhas) and then the administrator for that league matches the twist up to a song that would be a good fit at their discretion from any of the 5 sogns for the week - so you could avoid some of the nastiest combos.

Secondly, for the 5th song poll maybe you could put it into the form of a real thread poll for each week, with the options either picked at random, or by nominations. So like use the computer to spit out 4-10 random eligible songs and stick them in a poll at the start of the week for everybody to vote on (for the next week). It would save a lot of administrative hassle and avoid the problem of the first song anybody suggests getting voted up. Can these forums do public polls (where you can see who voted for what so taht you could make sure only league participants were involved)?.

One good strategy for lowering the workload might be to do three songs a week, with alternating weeks having one song be either picked from a poll or with a twist chosen from a poll. (so first week 2 random songs and one poll picked one, second week be 3 random songs with twist picked from poll added to one).

Also, i had the same ideas as youhas about how cool doing head to head stuff would be, but i think if the current format shows us anything its that that would be even worse in terms of time commitment for people. My dream format for head-head (especially elimination playoffs) would be to do something like have a prearranged window of a short period of time, and the two contestents both read the song they have to play from an impartial judge and then have a short time (maybe 0.5-2 hours?) to post a score. That sounds like it would be hugely impractical tho, but i thought id toss it out there and maybe somebody can think of a way to adapt that into somethign that would work.
Kingofterrors  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't know about it till it was to late.

I definitely would like to be in the next one.
View user's profile Send private message XBL Gamertag: Koteric PSN Name: Koterrors
COBW3BB  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kingofterrors wrote:
I didn't know about it till it was to late.

I definitely would like to be in the next one.

Yea, same here, I joined the AA league late, and I couldn't catch up to every song that had been done already... I'd definatley do it if there was another though and if I was in it from the beginning. It looks like it'd be fun.

Drock2525  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

when u do restart all the leagues please sign me up for Expert A
suspectfenster  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with those who have said 5 songs may be a little much. I'm sure there are enough people here who are willing to do it but frankily...a lot of the dropouts were due to lack of time. Having something like three songs would be FAR more managable. I myself neglected to do the last week because commiting myself to five songs just didn't seem appealing.

Another thank you to Javman for setting it all up...your organization in the setup of the league was amazing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Leagues -> Past Seasons All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: