ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
League Discussion/Recruitment/Information
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Leagues -> Past Seasons
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What did you think about the GHII Leagues?
Awesome! I had a lot of fun, and improved some of my scores too!
69%
 69%  [ 79 ]
I like the idea, but I just couldn't devote the time to it
19%
 19%  [ 22 ]
It's got potential, but really needs some work on details
5%
 5%  [ 6 ]
DUMBEST...IDEA...EVER, what were you thinking?
0%
 0%  [ 1 ]
GHII Leagues? Huh?
5%
 5%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 114

Barfo  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well performance mode is in no matter what. Enough people like it and its entrenched enough (has its own cheat code) that its not going away, and i say that as a person who cannot pass a single song on perf mode and has no idea how to even work hard enough to do it (i rely on the visual cues for timing, as i have no ear for either pitch or rhythm).

"Ends in xx" is my baby so im naturally going ot defend that one. The thing that is exciting and fun about the ends in "xx" twist is that it is open ended enough that it can be approached multiple ways and there is a clear strategic trade-off between quality of score and how much lee-way you decide in advance, as well as a very clearly trainable underlying "skill". I guarantee that anybody here could get ends in xx every time if they , approached it in advance witht he idea of simply stopped hitting all held notes in the entire song as soon as they got the right modulo 50. Except for the few songs with <20 sustains (YWC, RTT, FixIt, a few others), thats simply a fact that if you get the usual 50-100 sustains to try on youd eventually get it (1/50 chance even if you are doing it by blind luck). But your score is going to have a very low chance of being anything but suck. Whereas on the other hand, you can get an awesome score every time by going into it witht he plan of playing the song normally and then planning to try and get the exact score on the last sustain of the song, but the chacne you'd get the right score would be very low.

And of course you can generalize the strategy to basically divide the song into two halves (A and B): play the song in part A normally, and then in section B only hit holds witht he goal of getting the right modulo 50 (hitting at 1x helps control it) and then miss all other holds int he song. As part A gets larger in size, your guaranteed score goes up, but the chance of getting the exact score goes downl, and for people who are better at being able to reliably get an exact score they can have a larger section A and a smaller section B and have the same reasonably close to unity chance of getting the right score every time. For ex on slow BPM songs while doing proofs i usually get the modulo 50 score i want in much less than 10 sustains, for faster BPM songs i need as many as probably 25 or so, and there are various tricks that definitely help you to do this, tricks that can be learned (or taught).

The best thing i like about the "ends in xx" twist is that it is one of the only strategic twists (as opposed to physical or distraction types) that is inherently an open problem with no single optium solution (path-wise). For ex, <x ns or <X% the 'best' path through the song exists, and given both infinite path strategizing ability and infinite path execution ability, there is a single 'optimum' route that each contestant would get to, however for "ends in xx" there is no way to completely take probability out of the equation. For ex, i did collide ends in 66 on week 4 of ssn3/A, and i only had one run to get it right in (i was rushed that week), so i parsed up the song with 75% of it in section A and got a good SP path through that, and then i left the rest of the song (~30 sustains) as the time to get the mod 50, and of course i got it. However although that was the right path for me at the time knowing that i only had one shot and knowing that at the highish BPM of Collide i'd need ~30 sustains to get the right score, if id gone into it knowing i was goign to have enought ime to work on it for ~10 tries, i had theorized a plan to try and get it on the last 10 sustains or so which would have let me get like 95% of the song into part A.

EDIT:
barbaloot wrote:
specifying what the hundreds and/or thousands digit (or even tens) must be seems to be better that specifying what the last digits must be. . . . Can anyone give me an argument against this change?

The argument against that twist is that it reduces the concept at hand to afterthought level of irrelevance. If it was the thousands digit, youd just see a lot of X,9## scores as the top score on most songs is pretty well fixed within a few thousand and so everybody would just play to the highest possible ##X,### point and then hit enough notes under 1x to get ##X,9##. If it was the hundreds digit thats even worse, because then its just a matter of playing the song normally and then pausing the game before the last 6 notes or so with a 4x multiplier up, and then you can get any hundreds digit you want. The only reason the "ends in xx" score even works is because there is actually some challenge to get the last two digits right due to the paucity of directly controllable ways to effect change in those digits (as opposed to higher digits which are easily and precisely controlled).
tinytimFTW  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to run this idea by someone. I was thinking of sort of a rewards point system for the leagues. Lets say, in a league of 24. First place would get 12 and last would get -12. If you reach enough + points, you are moved up. If you get enough - points, you are sent down. If you get enough + points on AAA, you are retired and placed in a League Hall of Fame. If you get too many - points on C, you are suspended until you prove worthy of playing in the league. This would be a good way to keep skill levels even.

Also, I'd like random steroids testing.
Barfo  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats more or less what happens already, except theres a more complex (secret) formula at play than just a linear reward based upon order of finish. I (We) put everybody's scores from the league (and other db scores when a league score is not available, and qualifying scores for new people) into a common normalized rating scheme format and then divide it up evenly (technically a more flexible solution to parse one individual pool than to divide it up first and then move people in between in fixed increments) so that people are (hopefully) somewhat evenly matched. I think mainly fixed leagues with only a few movement after each season are impossible (or at a minimum undesirable in terms of keeping competitive leagues) because there i too much turnover form season to season with some people droppign out due to time or general "been there, done that"-iveness and a whole bunch of new ppl coming in each season that its better to look at each season as a blank slate in terms of how to raw the assignments (but basing the results off of the previous results for returning people) even though having very fixed motion criteria would be superficially satisfying.
tinytimFTW  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok thanks for explaning. I just wanted to throw my idea out there.
sixcarwinsagain  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was thinking that for a twist u could play upside down like when u were a little kid and u would put your feet up where your head goes and play that way.
JR626  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright Barfo I hear what your saying about the "ends in xx" score and I understand the strategy involved. I guess I wasn't really thinking about letting off holds at the right time and stuff.

Anyway, I'm over that. It's fine with me now. Although I do still prefer twists that involve things like <xx% and <x note streak. But that's just me.
RyuBlitz  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sixcarwinsagain wrote:
i was thinking that for a twist u could play upside down like when u were a little kid and u would put your feet up where your head goes and play that way.

I tried that as a joke workaround for a mirror-mode twist... After two times through, I had a headache for ~4 hours...

So, I'm gonna have to vote against that one...

Join GatheringofGamers.com TODAY!
sixcarwinsagain  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea i thought that might happen but it sounded like fun. Maybe next time i should try something before i suggest it.
rkcr  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barfo wrote:
Thats more or less what happens already, except theres a more complex (secret) formula at play than just a linear reward based upon order of finish. I (We) put everybody's scores from the league (and other db scores when a league score is not available, and qualifying scores for new people) into a common normalized rating scheme format and then divide it up evenly (technically a more flexible solution to parse one individual pool than to divide it up first and then move people in between in fixed increments) so that people are (hopefully) somewhat evenly matched. I think mainly fixed leagues with only a few movement after each season are impossible (or at a minimum undesirable in terms of keeping competitive leagues) because there i too much turnover form season to season with some people droppign out due to time or general "been there, done that"-iveness and a whole bunch of new ppl coming in each season that its better to look at each season as a blank slate in terms of how to raw the assignments (but basing the results off of the previous results for returning people) even though having very fixed motion criteria would be superficially satisfying.

Ah, very interesting. I had wondered if you were normalizing the scores - it seemed to me an important thing to do, given how many people submit the first week vs. the last week.

I'm also curious as to what you use to classify people in different leagues (A, AA, AAA). Is it just a hand-written formula, or some sort of data mining algorithm?
Barfo  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rkcr wrote:
I'm also curious as to what you use to classify people in different leagues (A, AA, AAA). Is it just a hand-written formula, or some sort of data mining algorithm?

Well i dont want to go into any specifics because i dont want to hand a present to anybody who might be trying to manipulate the system, but at the same time i cannot resist throwing a bone to somebody who is obviously a fellow stat-geek. To summarize very roughly, i have an algorithm (devised and refined through a few iterations by me) with multiple outputs and i can sort upon each of those outputs individually or a further abstracted composite weighted index of all of them in order to generate several potential groupings. For 50-75% of people, all the indicators will agree on the league assignment and its a no-brainer so i 'pencil' those people in first to get an idea of the relative sizes of "sure-fire" leagues. Then for people who are right on the edge of league divisions (so some indicators are up and some are down), or for people who have widely divergent rankings for some of the outputs, i group all of them into a borderline list and use intuition and a little bit of judgement as to how to combine the various close data to determine the fairest way to send people up and down given the number of slits i need to fill to get each league roughly the same size (i assume here roughly continuous, even distribution of skill level, which when you see the data is fairly warranted everywhere except at the top of AAA anyways). And then for leagues which im not commishing (non-AAA), i send that off with penciled in assignments to the actual league commish to go over again and make any further changes needed.
Twilight42  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a few twist ideas I'd like to share.

1) Small/Large Notes - If you're playing on a widescreen TV, turn off wide display. If you have a regular TV, turn ON wide display.

2) Guitar Flip - Play with the guitar controller's frets and strums facing you. I found this kinda easy, actually.

3) Guitar Behind Head - ...

I <3 this idea the most. >_>

---
From there, you play a game of extreme checkers. What's extreme about it? The checkers are on fire, and if you flinch when you touch a checker, a ninja beats the shit out of you. - Alakaiser
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Leagues -> Past Seasons All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: