ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Need a lil help Synching

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bkblood  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 7:39 am    Post subject: Need a lil help Synching Reply with quote

Alright guys I have been reading up on how to make my own custom song. iv done everything good so far. i was even able to play my song in GH2. I relized that it was horribly out of synch. After reading up some more i tried Using GHE to see if it was synching correctly. well it was for like 2 seconds and then went out of synch. I am not sure what to do to get it all into synch without redoing the entire thing. I used Freetar to Create my notes and converted it to a mid. I am going to attach my mid file to see if maybe one of u guru's can look at it and tell me what i need to do. or atleast send me in the right direction.

Thank you
Brendon

Sng File - http://www.filefactory.com/file/ee247a/
Mid File - http://www.filefactory.com/file/94e81d/
The song is Three Doors Down - Landing in London.mp3

Thank You again!

P.s I am Replacing Freya
whiskeyface  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're going to have to adjust the tempos every measure that's out of synch using MIDI Maestro. Simple: watching the chart/song in GHEx and make note when it first get's out of synch. Import the MIDI into MIDI Maestro and go to said measure and either speed it up or slow it down as needed. Then, go back to GHEx and witness the results, whether you need to speed up/slow down more, or alter another measure.

I'm unaware of another program that is freeware like Anvil Studio that let's you change tempos mid-song. Unfortunately, MIDI Maestro won't save unless it's registered. But, if you don't have a conscience, you can crack it and save a buck.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, as I like the song and want it to be in GH, I analyzed the midi, and tell you my generic method to sync songs :P

First, I saw with MM that your .mid had a lot of tempo change events; I only kept the first BPM, and deleted the rest, because this song has a constant tempo.

---------------
1 - In a MIDI editor program, take note of the current BPM being used, and the time of first and last notes. In your .mid, they are 87, 2s20 (2 seconds and 20 frames) and 5m03s28, respectively.

2 - In a wave editor program, take note of the time of first and last guitar notes (those corresponding to the midi notes). I don't know what program you use, but if you are using Nero Wave Editor, like me, convert first to WAV and then see the peaks of the wave to determine exact time. In my Landing in London MP3, the times are 2s748 (2 seconds and 748 milliseconds) and 4m24s735.

3 - Math time

Calculate music duration, both in MIDI and in MP3, in seconds:
MIDI: (300+3+28/30) - (2+20/30) = 301.26667s (1 second has 30 frames)
MP3: (240+24.735) - (2.748) = 261.987s

Using inverse proportion properties, calculate new BPM:
301.26667 ----- 87
261.987 -------- x

x = 301.26667 * 87 / 261.987 = 100.04

4 - Then, just adjust MP3 offset in ghex to match MP3 first note with MIDI first note. In my MP3, I used a -448ms offset, and the song seemed pretty well synced to me.
---------------

Of course, this method just works with two conditions: the BPM of the song must be constant, and the note spacing must be correct.
bkblood  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you VERY much for the help. also i would like to know what i can do to avoid having to do all that. or is that something i must do everytime i use freetar editor? thank you again I appriciate the help. And yes the song is Awsome now!
ruippeixotog  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I don't think freetar have that tempo issue, I never did any song with it though. You should ask Sargoth, as he knows a lot more than me about the program.
Anyway, this is a generic way to calculate exact bpm, and work with any midi, created with any program. About doing all the process, I wrote a small TI-83+ program for my texas graphic calculator that, given all data, calculate instantly new bpm. If you have some use for it, I'll have no problem in uploading it ;)
ruippeixotog  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, yesterday afternoon, I (finally) began watching some tutorials about programming, as I was a total n00b at that and I would like to learn to write some code. At night, I made a VB program to calculate the BPM for my midis using the method above for training.

http://www.savefile.com/files/466632

Yeah, it isn't a masterpiece, but it'll be very useful for me (my TI-83 is good, but the PC is better ). Grab it if you want .

Last edited by ruippeixotog on Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:06 am; edited 1 time in total
tarod83  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure someone wil make good use of this tool, it looks really useful...
The problem is when the tempo of the actual recording of the song isn't constant... it's a real pain when it happens. And it feels horrible to alter the "proper structure" of the midi, in those parts when these subtle changes in tempo happen, just to sync it to the song... but I can't think of other way to do it.
ruippeixotog  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You needn't alter the structure of the MIDI. In fact, you can use that program to sync those; just divide the song in parts, and calculate BPM for each one like described. ;)
CaptLtrl  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You rock, I'll definitely put this to some good use. The only thing that's been keeping me from writing my own midis is problems with BPM timing. This will make it a lot easier.

Thank you so much.
craigc30  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I wouldn't use Freetar if I were you, the best thing to do is use Anvil, map out the notes on that and import it to ghex and replay it back at 50% so you can hear each note being played and if its correct.

This is how I'm doing my first song and it is a long arduous process but in the end its a perfect synch.

So just keep making changes, importing, and replaying for accuracy.

Goodluck
Fangor  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that certainly is much quicker than my method.

Inductive synchronization (I'm a math nerd)

Base case: Sync the first note by picking an initial tempo.
Inductive case: If the n+1 note is out of sync, adjust the tempo at n until it works.

This can result in songs with hundreds of tempo changes. But I suppose I have a lot of patience.
ruippeixotog  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would surely be a VERY long process. Also, there are some guitar notes in the song that you can't hear well, or that you can't find in the wave graph... Another problem: you could use my method for every single note, but you know that, the smaller the song interval calculated, the less precise is the tempo obtained.
It is usually not necessary to change tempo every single note; just calculate tempo for the main parts of the song (chorus, verse, bridge, solo, etc). They begin with easily identified notes, and they are have more or less a constant tempo (usually).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: