ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Simple overlay "silent notes" vs. playable notes

View previous topic :: View next topic  
hairball  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 4:56 pm    Post subject: Simple overlay "silent notes" vs. playable notes Reply with quote

I haven't had a chance to play any custom songs yet, but from viewing youtube video of some of them, it appears that you could choose to not even play a note and you would still hear all of the guitar. Assuming I'm right on this (please correct me if I'm not), this is a pretty big difference from "the real thing".

Obviously, separating the tracks out and coordinating that would be another homebrew project, but I imagine it could be done:

-technology exists that can at least make a decent stab at isolating tracks, or at least parts of the sound spectrum

-a separate track of the guitar sound spectrum could be isolated, and sync'd up with the midi file, and then played at volume, with the other track (the song emphasising the non-guitar parts) would be played at a lower volume in the background.

If this were done, then you would essentially hear the guitar note end if you take your finger off too early, and the boos from the audience would make more sense, and the game would really be more playable. Also, the whammy bar would have a function which, I'm guessing, it doesn't with the current custom songs.

Thoughts?
katamakel  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's called a "filter". Commonly used in signal processing.
This has been discussed a couple of times before, but there's no definite way to do it.

I don't really see the point with your post, as the fact that this would have to be done in order to mimic the original GH songs is well known.

I do know there are some people on other forums (Freetar or FoF, don't remember) that are recording their own guitar tracks to freely available backing tracks.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The point of the post is that this was not addressed in the F.A.Q., if I remember correctly, and it's something that would be nice to change. It doesn't seem that hard to me, but I am neither a techie nor a musician. However, I really don't think it requires the ability to actually play and record our own guitar tracks.

So, if you don't think my post is relevant, fine. I'd like to hear from those who do.

Also, let me make it clear that although I'm new to this, I am very much in awe of the work that has been done, and can't wait to play the custom songs, so please don't think of me as a noob jerk just trying to cause trouble.
Riz  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isolating a guitar sound that can potentially span over 5 octaves, and commonly will span over at least 2-3, using signal processing is a far from trivial endeavor. Can it be done? With a *lot* of effort, maybe. Is it practical to do with the audio processing tools that most custom song creators have to work with... no, not really.

This is why people re-record their own guitar tracks, and why master tracks with which a custom mix of guitar alone, bass/rhythm alone, and rest-of-band can be made, are so desirable. To get anything approaching a proper sound out of it, that's really what's required.

Riz.

Last edited by Riz on Mon Jan 22, 2007 6:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
hairball  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A simple cheater way of achieving a remotely similar effect that *could* increase playability, would be to just have two tracks of the full song at different volume levels, with one tracked on to the midi file. When you miss a note, it goes low volume on you.
katamakel  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hairball wrote:
So, if you don't think my post is relevant, fine. I'd like to hear from those who do.

I never said it wasn't relevant, it very much is, it's just that your original post was a bit confusing at first as I couldn't decide whether you were suggesting a method for it, or asking how to do it.

I've fooled around a bit with it, and the guitar can be very difficult to isolate using a simple band pass filter, even with a pretty advanced graphical EQ it's difficult (as it should be, it's not like it's the only sound in a song, usually.)
The bass however, can almost always be pretty easily isolated using a low-pass filter at somewhere between 200Hz-450Hz (depending on the song/tuning etc.)

I've promised other people to report back some more concrete findings once I've spent some more time with this.

I hope this was more along the lines of what you wanted to hear..

hairball wrote:
A simple cheater way of achieving a remotely similar effect that *could* increase playability, would be to just have two tracks of the full song at different volume levels, with one tracked on to the midi file. When you miss a note, it goes low volume on you.

Well.. You can basically do that by just assigning the same source file (MP3 or whatever) to both the band and the lead channels, and lots of people do that.

It does, however, introduce the "whammy bug", which, if you try it, you will be made acutely aware of what it is

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It does, however, introduce the "whammy bug", which, if you try it, you will be made acutely aware of what it is

I can imagine (every single sound becomes a warped cacophony that takes you out of the moment)
katamakel  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well.. There is that, but it also cancels out the band audio a bit, and introduces a lot of phasing, and it doesn't correct itself over time.
So, if you put the same audio in the lead/bass/rhythm channels as in the band channels... Don't whammy!
Which is why most people stopped doing it and only put something in the band channels..

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for explaining that. One other thought- what if you mapped the song file to the midi, and made it so it just goes silent when you miss something- I can see how that might be weird, but at least it would motivate you to not screw up. Has anyone tried that?
ChrisVance  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All you have to do is put the song to the 2/3 channels (guitar) and not map it to the band channels 0/1. It's been done, infact I did it on my Journey - Anyway you want it video on youtube.
ruippeixotog  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually fill all channels, and avoid whammying; so, when I fail, the song volume decrease by half... better than the other options here, with the inconvenient that you can't whammy.
hairball  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alternatively, couldn't you take the tablature midi file provided at a site like tabit.net and use a program like garageband to give it a decent guitar sound (might even tweak it here and there to sound more real), then map that to the guitar hero midi file?

And, extra special bonus question, if you did that, with the full song in the background, would you still suffer from the problems katamakei mentioned, were you to have the audacity to whammy?

THANKS SO MUCH for humoring the new guy's curiosity.
hairball  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ruippeixotog wrote:
I usually fill all channels, and avoid whammying; so, when I fail, the song volume decrease by half... better than the other options here, with the inconvenient that you can't whammy.

If I did that, I'd probably want to take the whammy bar off my guitar.
gazzer  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

katamakel wrote:
I do know there are some people on other forums (Freetar or FoF, don't remember) that are recording their own guitar tracks to freely available backing tracks.

Yeah that's me, on Frets on Fire. It sounds pretty good once you put the effort in actually. We've released a "rough and ready" track of plug in baby by muse, which seems to work ok, and I'm just putting the finishing touches on animal i have become by three days grace, which if i do say so myself sounds pretty awesome
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: