ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Activation from 7.42 beats of SP, possible?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Guitar/Bass
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheMagician  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 5:46 pm    Post subject: Activation from 7.42 beats of SP, possible? Reply with quote

I swear I just got an activation from measures 28-29: http://www.bradleyzoo.com/GuitarHero/ghrt80s-ps2/expert/thewarrior.upper-bound.best.png

Is that suppose to be possible?

edit: 23-29 XD

Last edited by TheMagician on Sun Mar 23, 2008 2:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ticapapel  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it's possible... Gamezelda and other people did when debr asked for a video.

Fucking yes, I beat Six using the Dualshock! So happy XD Now I have beaten all songs using the Dualshock ^___^

My last video: http://br.youtube.com/watch?v=YLm9CtyOVG8 (Through the Fire and Flames 356k ^_^)
Samson007  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its because in the GH2 engine you can abuse the timing window by hitting the note early (much the way you can in GH3) but in GH2 you can start whammying early too, and it gives you the SP for the early whammy. As opposed to GH3 where you don't get any extra SP for early whammying.

TheMagician  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samson007 wrote:
Its because in the GH2 engine you can abuse the timing window by hitting the note early (much the way you can in GH3) but in GH2 you can start whammying early too, and it gives you the SP for the early whammy. As opposed to GH3 where you don't get any extra SP for early whammying.

I know, but I thought the limit was 7.5 beats of SP?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The exact whammy needed for a 1/2 bar of star power is ~7.353. The real whammy sp rate is 3.4%, compared to the 3 1/3% value currently being used in debr's charts. He had them right originally but got too many complaints about things being "impossible", so we're stuck with it for now. It's on his list, but not a top priority. However, he's working on a separate site with the right value, I think.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I remember Debr stating somewhere that there's some "glitch" (for lack of a better word, it's not really a glitch, because it always happens, and I think in more than one song) in the 80's version that lets you get star power from phrases with less than 7.5 beats of whammy.

I think it says in his thread (wherever that is), that he's working on updating his program to include that.

GH Accomplishments
RB Accomplishments

XBL Gamertag: Swordchucks27

"It's not what you think, I know it looks like we're cleaning dishes but actually we're having sex" -Dr. Gregory House
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message XBL Gamertag: Swordchucks27
debr5836  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.scorehero.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18650

Note "The Warrior" phrase is listed as a known deficiency in my charts. I wouldn't say I'm actively working on plugging this hole; I'm just calling this out as a known deficiency.

The 7.353 vs. 7.500 is a matter of significant debate. The 7.353 is based on a 3.4 number in a DTB file (this is cdw01's evidence of this number being obviously right), but empirically it doesn't reconcile with the apparent difficulty required to get several of the borderline activations (e.g. PBFO last phrase, the raw dog squeeze, etc.). One would think that if 7.353 were the right number, these borderline phrases would be much easier to get than they seem to be.

Cdw01 seems happy with the 7.353 charts on GH1. I'm debating releasing two versions of the charts -- one with the 7.353 number and one with the 7.500 number and then both camps of people will be happy.

Check out my SP Galleries for GH1-PS2, GH2-PS2, GH2-X360, GHRT80S-PS2, and GH3
GH2 Log: 9/2/2007
Cdw01  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

debr5836 wrote:
The 7.353 vs. 7.500 is a matter of significant debate. The 7.353 is based on a 3.4 number in a DTB file (this is cdw01's evidence of this number being obviously right), but empirically it doesn't reconcile with the apparent difficulty required to get several of the borderline activations (e.g. PBFO last phrase, the raw dog squeeze, etc.). One would think that if 7.353 were the right number, these borderline phrases would be much easier to get than they seem to be.
Psychobilly Freakout is hard as hell regardless. .17 extra beats of whammy assuming you're perfect over 8 notes. The "impossible" Yes We Can double squeeze on the final activation has .021 extra beats of leeway on each note. That's almost exactly the amount of leeway you have to work with to get Psychobilly except over 4 times the amount of notes. In terms of time, you have 12/1000 of a second to screw up each note on average for Yes We Can. On Psychobilly, you only have an average of 8/1000 of a second due to the faster tempo. That still looks ridiculously impossible to me.

Raw Dog doesn't look that hard on paper, so I think that one's just more awkward than anything. With the tempo, 1/8 notes come every 16/100 of a second or so, and there's a leeway of 5/100 to get the activation, not a big deal. The hard part there is more likely switching chords fast enough and staying ahead of the beat than anything with timing restrictions.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dont mean to dig up old threads but i used the search feature and this seemed like the best place to post it. anyways, i think i can get that last activation and thus like 20000 more points on psychbilly freakout. if its the same as the other places that have those chord changes then ive technically gotten an activation out of it once. the first time they happen I overstrummed right after the GY chord, but i had whammied the earlier notes enough to have exactly an activation. (i dont really think I overstrummed, my controller just seems to do it randomly on hold notes) but anyways i was only able to whammy those 8 notes before the long GY hold and im pretty sure i got none of the whammy on the GY hold and still had my star power ready to activate.
im gonna go practice it and see if i can do it again.

thanks Karatechess!!
nickyboy909  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for KIND OF unrelated but, does debr consider the fact made by me that SOME times you can get a better score from purposely missing a note in sp

I dont know any songs but im sure there's some

xslaya22x  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nickyboy909 wrote:
Sorry for KIND OF unrelated but, does debr consider the fact made by me that SOME times you can get a better score from purposely missing a note in sp

I would imagine he would test that as a possible scenario... I know there's a song on (GH1 I think?) that you strum before the notes start on the fretboard and it cancels out that SP, but I know of no others that you have to purposely break your multiplier.

It's pretty unlikely, seeing as missing a note in the best case scenario (single notes with no holds) automatically constitutes as a loss of 2900 points... and this is most likely note going to be the case, so you'd be losing quite a bit of points. Covering phrases you don't want to get with SP activations is more effective than missing notes in SP 99.99999% of the time. Besides, it seems that the charters for the songs in GH are laying out SP in a fashion that would seem to produce optimal scores without missing any SP (the majority of the time, that is).

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nickyboy909 wrote:

This theory has been discussed a while now, especially with the release of Rock Band. Apparently some optimal drum paths require overdrumming during a phrase so that you don't miss out on drumfills, and Barbaloot mocked up a chart showing how overstrumming in a phrase could lead to more points:

zsjostrom35  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xslaya22x wrote:
nickyboy909 wrote:

I would imagine he would test that as a possible scenario... I know there's a song on (GH1 I think?) that you strum before the notes start on the fretboard and it cancels out that SP, but I know of no others that you have to purposely break your multiplier.

It's pretty unlikely, seeing as missing a note in the best case scenario (single notes with no holds) automatically constitutes as a loss of 2900 points... and this is most likely note going to be the case, so you'd be losing quite a bit of points. Covering phrases you don't want to get with SP activations is more effective than missing notes in SP 99.99999% of the time. Besides, it seems that the charters for the songs in GH are laying out SP in a fashion that would seem to produce optimal scores without missing any SP (the majority of the time, that is).

This has been discussed before:

Barbaloot wrote:
Here is a recent thread about this.

Here is a sample chart for which the optimal path would require overstrumming to miss a SP phrase.

If you don't feel like reading the thread, the short answer is that yes, it is possible. Note, however, that debr does state in the thread that his program will not be able to find a path requiring a deliberate overstrum. Apparently he's waiting for a song that actually requires it before he'll invest the time in rewriting the program.

EDIT: Wow. I've never been ninja'd by a post that enormous before.
Téa: (Thinking) Look at him undressing me with his eyes! I wonder what he's thinking...
Yami: (Thinking) MAN, I hate milkshakes! (Squeezes milkshake cup) Die, milkshake, die! That's right, milkshake: you have been defeated! Now you go to milkshake prison!
My guides: BIF 5* | Most Impulsive Expert Guide Ever | Guide to Writing Guides | NfMH 5* | Practice Mode | My Curse FC | GH3 Co-op Squeezing
Proud Christian
nickyboy909  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh ok so im NOT crazy lol

gusmahler  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anterth wrote:
i dont mean to dig up old threads but i used the search feature and this seemed like the best place to post it. anyways, i think i can get that last activation and thus like 20000 more points on psychbilly freakout. if its the same as the other places that have those chord changes then ive technically gotten an activation out of it once. the first time they happen I overstrummed right after the GY chord, but i had whammied the earlier notes enough to have exactly an activation. (i dont really think I overstrummed, my controller just seems to do it randomly on hold notes) but anyways i was only able to whammy those 8 notes before the long GY hold and im pretty sure i got none of the whammy on the GY hold and still had my star power ready to activate.
According to the chart, the measure 28-29 SP phrase is longer than the measure 96-97 SP phrase (7.73 beats compared to 7.52). So being able to activate from measure 28-29 doesn't mean you'll be able to do so at the end.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Guitar/Bass All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: