Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Project: Guitar Legend
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rambo  

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 12:46 pm    Post subject: Project: Guitar Legend Reply with quote

I think it is about time to reveal my creation.. Guitar Legend.. while not yet complete i think it is far enough along in its process to try and get the word out.. I'll let the pics speak for themselves but go ahead and ask questions and i will try to answer them as soon as i can but i am busy trying to finish this and release it..

sorry about the bad image quality.. i was in a hurry 2 upload them
RandomJebus  

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AWESOME.
Genga  

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey, lookin good
SkepticalMario  

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't see the images.

EDIT: Well, I can see them now. Nice!

Bark at the Zoo

Last edited by SkepticalMario on Tue May 23, 2006 2:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rambo  

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well thats odd.. my pics seem to be fine and show up on mine and my friends comp.. they are hosted on photobucket so maybe the server was down for a bit..

Anyway, both the game and the editor have been improved extensively in the last few days. Currently, in the editor, you can make the note files that the game plays by using its easy to use interface. The game then loads the files and displays them in the shown menu. Once selected the game then searches through folders inputed in the settings screen for a file with the same name with a different file extension and tries to play it as the song. So far the notes come down the board while the music plays but if u strum on a note that is not there a "missed" sound is played. Both single notes and chords have been implemented.

Any features, questions, or ideas anyone has will be appreciated but please keep in mind that this takes both time and lots of work. I am trying to implement as much as I can but doing this has been quite a task, of which I am so far pleased with the results.
ImaCarrot  

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looking pretty sweet so far. About how much time have you invested in it so far? What kind of engine are you going to be using for the graphics, 2d or 3d?

Good choice on 'Scotty Doesn't Know' too
Rambo  

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well ive invested quite a lot of time into this project.. I think ive been working on this almost 2 months now. The game has gone through several iterations all of which required a lot of code rewriting.
The game engine is 3d and uses directx for nearly everything. Although it is hard to tell from the picture the board and the notes are all in 3d. The core engine itself is pretty much done and it renders nicely.
There have been a few visual upgrades since I posted the screens but nothing significant enough to post newer screens. O and if anyone was wondering what the sliders next to the notes did the top one iterates through the notes and the next three are Red, Green and Blue respectively so the note colors are customizable.
ImaCarrot  

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet, I thought it might be a 3d engine, but I wasn't sure since you could probably pull off that psuedo 3d effect in a 2d engine. If you are interested in getting some art done for it, let me know. I'm mostly an environmental artist, but I can pump out a character or two as well, I'm much more confortable with environments though.
Rambo  

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the offer. although right now im not to worried about characters and stuff since i am more focused on the main gameplay itself. I am hoping to do something in the background behind the board but i havent completely made up my mind yet since it really isnt that important. The other problem is that currently my code only supports static meshes so there is no animated meshes since i havent needed them.. i am hoping 2 have an initial release soon but i am undecided if i want to do much with behind the board at least for the initial release.. Later updates will have more features so it may be shortly after the initial release that i implement studios or characters and such..
On a side note, the editor and the game now work nicely together, they use to have issues with syncing up.. I decided to try both Fat Lip and I Love Rock and Roll so i made the beginning parts of both in the editor and they worked out like a charm... It was music to my ears, at least when i didnt mess up strumming it was
nytelyte  

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just want to THANK YOU for making a simulator that isn't freetar hero. At first I was giving it an honest shot and giving it a break since it was beta, but there was one issue about it. The person who was making the program knew little about music and programming. He was taking foolish shortcuts and it was just a horrible program overall.

Keep up the good work, and please let us know (I'm sure you will) when a downloadable version comes out so I can start re-making my charts!
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger XBL Gamertag: nyt3lyt3 ICQ Number
Rambo  

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks

I also tried freetar once i found out about it. It definately was interesting to see another approach to what I am trying to do.

Guitar Legend is quickly becoming ready for its debut. I am hoping to release it asap. I am currently testing the program on several different machines to check for bugs and such. Although it would be nice to release it for free I am probably gonna charge a small amount for it. After the release I will continue making upgrades that will expand and enhance the game. I think a small price is resonable considering all the time that has, and will continue to be, put into this. I am sure there will be many suggestions and ideas, hopefully no major problems, once i do release it and i will try my best to address all of them as quickly as possible so any concerns/suggestions before the release are appreciated. I am thinking of the best way to implement HO and PO but they may or may not make the initial release.

The editor is in the middle of a revamp so i will post some pics of it soon to show everyone how it looks.

I am hoping a community will form for my game that will share the (Guitar Legend Editor)GLE files so your statement on remaking your files is music to my ears.. Once I do release the game if anyone wants to make a site that stores the GLE files for others to download let me know and I may add a link to your site on mine (once its up).

Any suggestions on what anyone thinks a resonable price, or range, would also be apreciated..
EdwardTeach666  

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rambo wrote:
I am probably gonna charge a small amount for it.

Just comin from me, I wont pay for anything that isn't official. I know it takes work, but people do things like this for free all the time. Look at this site for one.

your best bet if you wanna do anything is take donations. By doing this people can try it and if it truly is excellent software they will compensate you; wouldn't you also feel better about the money you made from it then?
HylianHero  

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Donations sound good.

By the way, it looks awesome.

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it is true that people do things for free and donations would be nice but please consider my view of this. I have put countless hours of research, work, and testing into this and people rarely ever donate to sites and if they do its is a very meager amount. Although EdwardTeach666 I don't quite understand your logic behind not buying anything unoffical. What makes something official? In my mind this is my official game. But anyway, i was thinking a small price of maybe in the range of $10-20. Honestly, thats nothing these days, and it would definately help me out.

Please keep the comments coming, I really want to know what everyone thinks about everything. Depending on the progress that is made today there may be new pics up by the end of the day.
MaximusDM  

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Asking money for program is not at all unreasonable for the effort and time put into it. I'm sure I would feel exactly the same way. But the thing is, for me, as a just another guy on the internet, I don't want to pay money for this and especially when there are alternatives (though not as great -- but that sort of makes it more reason to pay for it).

And then plus, if it doesn't at all become that big because of the price tag you put on it, it may not even have that many user created files floating around because everyone will be using an alternative program.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Software All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

Jump to: