ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
standardized chart evaluation criteria

View previous topic :: View next topic  
seepeearr  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 4:03 am    Post subject: standardized chart evaluation criteria Reply with quote

hey all,

i don't know if anyone has thought of this before (couldn't find anything about it so far), but wouldn't it be a good idea to start a thread where specific charts/MIDs could be evaluated using a standard criteria of some sort so as to try and create/maintain a list of the best possible available tracks for everyone's benefit?

i'm not sure how to implement this, if anyone has any ideas it would be nice to be able to check a thread regularly for the most highly-ranked custom tracks available for download, along with a specific list of which game they're for (GH or GH2) and precisely which offset to use based on which MP3 was used by the original charter (along with time, filesize, and bitrate)..

i'm asking this because i've been checking out many of the tracks, and even though i'm sure some people spent a lot of time and effort on their charts, they just aren't up to par with most of the players' standards (which is fine, for those who wish to play them regardless), but i've been trying out things like keyboardsamurai's rancid feces garbage "repack" (btw, someone should *seriously* kick the crap out of that blabbering moron) noticing that many of the songs included either seemed botched or put together very quickly (not talking about the sync, which is a totally different matter altogether, but rather the actual charting).. like some completely lacking any HO/POs, or star power, or even non-sustaining notes (all the notes were linked together with lines all the way through the song).. etc etc... i'm sure you've all seen this, and would agree that it would be nice to have a centralized topic on here with the best possible songs based on userbase evaluation..

let me know what you think.
Riz  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of days ago, in another thread, I mentioned that there is something one of our other mods is working on, but I can't really say much about it yet. And... I still can't say much about it.

Stay tuned.

Riz.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ahh, i see. lol

that's probably why i didn't catch on when i read that.

it's good to know that there's likely something that's somehow related to this happening in the near future though.. hehe

and to everyone else: feel free to post any ideas nonetheless, i'm sure it couldn't hurt.

Phr34k  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed this is something that is in the works. Little hints include a huge standardization, and support crew. Integration with GHEx is also planned.

*runs cause he has already said too much*
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: SHPhr34k Wii Friend Code: 4837355543248763
katamakel  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can run, but you can't hide! <--- BUT I CAN NINJA DAMNIT!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A really good decision, without doubt. Looking forward to it ;)
seepeearr  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah that's some seriously ass-kicking news, i've been wondering for quite some time what kind of framework could be established to streamline the production, evaluation and subsequent use of custom songs; now we have a good idea of what's to come

keep up the good work everyone!
brandyn  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope songs being "too easy" isn't looked down upon. So far, out of the two songs I made, they are both fairly easy, and the next one I'm gonna finish is first tier material.

But while I do this, I see people doing Dragonforce songs and songs that are "impossible to finish." I personally like to start with a song I like to listen to, not a song that I think is gonna be a big challenge. That, and I like to see work done at all tier levels.
ImaCarrot  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I highly doubt song difficulty would be a criteria, I believe this would more be geared towards midi quality and completeness. Can't wait, this is becoming a huge issue.
ChrisVance  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

>.> this is why I make my own instead of using others... you never know till you have them in game really, and by that point.. yo've wasted a couple DVD's.. I like to make my games to my specifications =D And I think O do decent at that.
seepeearr  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

not everyone has to burn DVDs every time they want to try a new version

also, speaking of song difficulty, i think songs should be CATEGORIZED by their relative difficulty rather than their inclusion into the list of "good ones" based on it.. everyone should have a chance to play custom songs, even the less proficient players, or people who play a lot less often... but i would be extremely picky about judging the lower-difficulty level custom tracks because they are a LOT easier to make and there will obviously be a LOT more of them coming out as more and more people learn how to chart... what i don't want to see, is every single joe schmoe deciding to chart their first song and then it being included in the listings as something decent, if it's not... that's why standardization is necessary; your song needs to abide by certain rules of quality or completeness in order to be eligible... that's why i think there needs to be a proper evaluation criteria established and tested before all this is implemented.
Fangor  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's nice when even easy songs are done on expert mode, because then I don't accidentally crash the game when i'm randomly going down my list to pick a song. A bunch of chart writers give their songs their own difficulty (i.e. expert but more like a hard). For an automated system, perhaps a numbering system (ala DDR) would be nice and compact. But that's up to however the mods want to implement any such systems.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: