yes, totally go for it man
72%
 72%  [ 18 ]
no, you'll never be like your idol Flea so don't even bother
28%
 28%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 25

Fly1ngV  

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 8:20 pm    Post subject: i'm actually gonna pick up a guitar like instrument Reply with quote

ok, this may come as a shock to some, but i'm actually gonna try and pick up a real guitar within the next week or so, depending on how well my bank balance is....well it's not exactly a guitar, but rather a bass. I'm asking those that play basses to guide me in the right direction to picking up my first bass and amp. i'm just looking for suggestions as to what i should get and some places on the web (videos required, lots of videos recommended) or even a couple of DVDs (i'm a visual learner so books are out of the question) so i can learn this awesome ass instrument
krimsunmunkeys  

Location: The Hall of the SH Council... watching... (not really)

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as you don't expect to pick it up and start playing CFH or BatM right away, then go for it!

I'm actually thinking about learning guitar over the summer. I already know multiple brass, woodwind, and percussion instruments, and it's about time to pick up a string instrument.
Fly1ngV  

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh, i knew that going in. i give myself a 4 year time frame before i'm actually any good at playing and writing basslines. and for the record, i've seen video of Rex playing CFH oh his bass, and it doesn't look all that complicated compared to where i want to be skill wise, which is to be able to play the awesome basslines from my idol Flea.
Atremains  

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

naw, 4 years is a lot, if you're focused and dedicated to getting better it wont take that long.
kirk hammet recorded was playing with metallica after 4 years (regardless of the repetitive pentatonic licks)
HsAxTakexIt (4:37:20 AM): XD
HsAxTakexIt (4:37:35 AM): too bad your elbow doesnt have a finger to push select
HsAxTakexIt (4:37:57 AM): the next evolution of man : the elbow finger
Fly1ngV  

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm giving myself a very leinient time frame i know, i'm probably gonna drop it to like 9mo.-1year for learning to play and then like another year for writing basslines. but like any artist i need tostart somewhere and i need to find a good beginner bass thats cheap and an amp that is the same
shutendoji  

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

krimsunmunkeys wrote:
As long as you don't expect to pick it up and start playing CFH or BatM right away, then go for it!

WHAT DO YOU MEAN! I COULD PLAY IT BY TWO LESSONS! jk, i personally don't think guitar is THAT difficult, it gives a good challange, but your fingers will be soar as hell. Just make sure you stick to it. You're not going to be Jimi Hendrix within a week...
Phr34k  

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless you do a lot of drugs...and well...yeeeeeeah XD

String instruments are god Best type to start with is classical guitar though...wider neck, softer strings...just an all around nicer feel and sound *stares at bass sitting in the next room*
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: SHPhr34k Wii Friend Code: 4837355543248763
DarkCalx  

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

depending on how you want to play (finger, pick or slap), will determine the sounds you can get out of a bass. different size (thickness) picks will give a different tone too.
as far as picking out a guitar, some of the bigger retailers might have a 'starter set' which usually includes a bass, bag, and cords or something. and a cheap practice amp is good to start out with (under 100 bucks). oh yeah, and a comfortable strap. bass' can get kinda heavy ;)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: DarkCalx PSN Name: DarkCalx Wii Friend Code: 7543253894078421
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: