Yes
60%
 60%  [ 37 ]
No
39%
 39%  [ 24 ]
Total Votes : 61

deathtongue  

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 10:15 pm    Post subject: Suggestion: Overall Ranking Reply with quote

I haven't seen any mention of this before in the forums, which I find surprising.

Why not have an overall rank that ranks you by your total score over all four difficulty levels? It won't help me much anyway with my crappy expert scores. But it might be of interest to Echelar that he/she is the top dog with the highest total score. Or Aeneman might take comfort in the fact that although his/her highest ranking is 9th for Hard, his/her overall rank is actually 3rd (I think).

I don't mean to take anything away from those more skilled players who don't even bother to enter Easy or Medium scores... but I think it would be a cool feature. And it might be more motivation for some players who have moved on to Hard and Expert to revisit their best efforts on Easy or Medium in an attempt to move up the ladder.

Then the signature summary could be modified to look something like this:

Easy: 3rd (99.05%) 47 47 47
Medium: 1st (100.00%) 47 47 47
Hard: 2nd (99.26%) 47 47 29
Expert: 20th (87.18%) 47 46 11
Overall: 1st (100.00%) 188 187 134

I suppose the song counts aren't really necessary.

Goal: 5* Hard
FOP [X]
PP(LL) [X]
OFTR [X]
6 [3.6]
TH [4.0]
krimsunmunkeys  

Location: The Hall of the SH Council... watching... (not really)

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please no.

I'd be bored off my ass trying to rise back up 1000 ranks because I have nothing for Easy/Medium/Hard , and I'd be wasting time that I could be dedicating to Expert. I believe it takes 3-4 hours to play every song, times 3 difficulties, times at least 2 runs per song for SP analysis, times x number of times it takes for me to be satisfied with a run (which would have to be 100% for 95% of the songs), equals pure hell !

For the love of God, please don't do this to me JCirri.
ES942  

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

seconded

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thirded, anyways, the people on expert can completely own the guys on easy and medium, so those people will never have a chance to get up in the total rankings...it'd be kind of pointless
krimsunmunkeys  

Location: The Hall of the SH Council... watching... (not really)

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to see some agreement.
ES942  

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

easy and medium are not at all a matter of skill, most of the people on the upper ranks of easy and medium could completely decimate me with star power usage. for example, echelar

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did think about this idea when I developed the rankings, and I predicted exactly what most people have said above, and decided not to show an overall ranking.

Not everyone plays all difficulties and so I figured having an overall ranking would be somewhat pointless. Of course the same thing could be said within a particular difficulty (that not everyone plays all 47 songs). However, since the game indicates your career score for each difficulty I felt it was appropriate.

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah ... although I'd be first on an overall ranking, it doesn't really seem appropriate. The only reason I'm first on medium is because I felt like spending a ton of time looking for optimal scores ... doesn't really have much to do with skill, past a certain point.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If an overall ranking was added, it wouldn't necessarily show who is the best guitar player, it would show who has put the most time and study into the game along with the skill level for the best overall player. This game isn't only about skill, it's about high scores. And star power strategy is part of the battle, along with skill and song pattern recognition. Also, the higher levels are weighted (worth) more than the lower levels if you are simply adding the scores. So if someone is very high on Hard and Expert, add those two scores together and it's way higher than someone who has finished Easy and Medium. The top players on Hard and Expert could probably play Medium and Easy once through, post mediocre scores and be way ahead of a player who is very highly ranked on Easy and Medium, but is struggling to finish Hard and Expert. In the end, I think it would be great for the game to have an overall points leader as it would bring all the scores on all the levels even higher. The number one on an overall point total might not be the most skilled guitarist, but would probably be the best overall Guitar Hero game player.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not have a poll to see what people think? I can see both sides of the debate.

While it'd be neato to be at the top of a list (because I think I'm #1, or really close), I can see where some of the expert players who don't play easy/medium would dislike the idea.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generic poll implemented.
JCirri  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MetalMadness brings up some very good points, but I also can see both sides of this issue.

I'll let the public speak before ruling out this idea.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, there is pretty much two sides and those who don't play all difficulties will just look like they aren't as good and those who play moderately on all them might even surpass them.

Way I see it is make another score card for those who want the overal score on there. Those who don't want an overall score will just remain with the card they already have now. Make it look almost identical to the 2nd template that everyone is using so those who do not choose it do no feel left out or the need to play lower difficulties.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would work for the scorecards but what about the rankings page on the site?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to be entirely rude or anything, but it kinda sounds like the big guys think this is a blow to their ego. Honestly, it really isn't. It just shows the most well-rounded people on the site, as opposed to the specialty players. The people who are in first place on Expert don't have to hold EVERY record for first place, and if they want to hold all of them, just go ahead and play through all those songs again.

In case you haven't noticed, I vote yes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Website Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: