ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
League C - Week 3 Results
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Leagues -> Past Seasons
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dannimal  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure how pointing out the irony in the person who questioned the legitamacy of a score posted by VRocker11 (who either joined the league in week 3 or just woke up from a 2 week coma) being a person who probably is overqualified for C League translates into "dissing on SH leagues" or the need to point out the site kicks ass. Looking at the CoWS score, it does look like V just put the twist to the wrong song.

Making an observation about another poster (or even a group) doesn't mean he hates the league or the site. I can hate Barry Bonds and still be a Giants fan. I can hate the Yankees and still be a baseball fan.

In the end, sandbagging or even just underestimating your skills (because let's face it: I'm sure we all tend to err on the safe side so there's less chance of feeling embarrassed if we misjudge out ability) doesn't matter. The top handful will probably be moved up a level at the end. If people do sandbag, at best it buys them 4-6 weeks of feeling good. Yay.

The league sorting guidelines are kind of vague, honestly (with reason. There's not much point to more concrete guidelines in a league system built on honor). If someone good at GHI hasn't played much GHII at all, can they assume that the skill just carries over?

I'll admit I was shocked when Ashes FC'ed all 4 songs in week 1 (including a performance mode song). I'm not suggesting that he/she sandbagged. There's no way to prove it even if I were AND it's just as likely that I was off in my assumption of what to expect at this level.

Again, it's no big deal. There's nothing at stake but bragging rights. Probably not worth saying "I don't think that score is legit" or "I think people are sandbagging" or "If you don't like it, you can leave".

Proud to be Hyperspeed free.
DrSham  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good job by all again this week. Looks like everyone improving as in a lot of cases the scores are becoming more closely grouped.

Just to add my whinge on the 'sandbagging' claims. I have a particular interest as I am currently 1st, and assume it's aimed at me more than anyone else.

If you (yes, you know who you are) could be bothered to check out the 'real' facts then you would know that I have only actually won 2 of the 12 songs so far (and both by <500 points), so it just looks like I am more consistent than everyone else thus far (2 1sts, 4 2nds, a 3rd, a 4th, 3 5ths & a 7th). This is probably because I am comfortable with the mechanics of the game on medium (notably SP paths seem to be an area I do well at) whereas on hard/expert there are a few things necessary for high scoring that I cannot do very well, i.e. alt strum (hopeless) & HO/PO (more than hopeless, especially PO's I got no clue at all). OK so I may be proficient in medium but so what, to be honest I would expect anyone who has played GH1 from about 9 months ago, and who has played any length of time, to be able to FC most songs at this level.

All that will happen now is that i'll get bumped to 'B' league next time round (as I am in GH1 league as well) and i'll try to improve on hard from there. Isn't that the whole point of what league play is?

Oh, and as you beat me on Carry Me Home this week, obviously the hardest song, and if i'm sandbagging, what exactly are YOU doing here?

Finally, a few words of advice that may help you on the SH forums. If you got nothing constructive or complimentary to add then keep it shut.

MUPPET!!

Gamertag - Doc Sham
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: Doc Sham
mrseb  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

all im guna say is sumthin dus not look right wiv those rankings, and im NOT mentionning any usernames....

my score this week is only 2 pts below last weeks and im still sitting in 5th along way from going up to 4th and a long way from dropping to 6th.

been in 5th for 3 weeks now

(GH1 league)
GH1/GH2 Hard FC's Goals
Code:

[ ] Parasite         [X] Infected
[ ] Soy Bomb         [ ] Fat Lip
[ ] Elephant Bones   [ ] Even Rats
[ ] Girlfriend       [ ] Killer Queen
[ ] Yes We Can       [ ] Story of my Love
mrseb  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I have to agree here. I used the following SP path, and unless he or someone else can give a better one, I don't see how 5,000 more points are out there.

3 - next note
2 - after long blue hold
2 - after 2nd RYRY
2 - next note

i got 3rd (202,734) with 3-2-4

3 - next note
2 - after 3rd B sustain
4 - use immediately

(GH1 league)
GH1/GH2 Hard FC's Goals
Code:

[ ] Parasite         [X] Infected
[ ] Soy Bomb         [ ] Fat Lip
[ ] Elephant Bones   [ ] Even Rats
[ ] Girlfriend       [ ] Killer Queen
[ ] Yes We Can       [ ] Story of my Love
Ashes2Ashes  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, seriously, 3 weeks ago I had only had this game for a week and couldn't even fathom doing songs on hard, so I joined C. I practiced over the next week, along with playing the league songs, and at that point had at least beat all the first tier songs except for Woman. Once I figured out how to move my hand in a way that I wouldn't lose which frets I was on, Hard became easier, and most expert songs aren't a huge leap up from hard, at least not in the first half of the tiers. And did you notice that how even though I am playing on expert now, that only one of my scores was above the top 5 this week?

I wasn't contesting the score because it made me get less points, hell it made everybody get less points. It just stuck out strangely, especially when all the other top scorers were getting 5000 or more less than that. Combined with the fact that he got dead last on a different song, it just made me wonder. So sorry for being concerned about the results for this week.

EDIT: Also you have to realize that if the point distribution for that song does end up getting rearranged, only two people in the league will get extra points relative to the people around them, and neither of them is me. In other words, I didn't do this for my benefit.
njv232  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems as if everyone else has added their two cents.. so here is mine. I don't care that some people in here are probably in the wrong league. You never reach your full potential playing with those that suck. I submit my scores each week, knowing I will not win. I think these leagues just push me to get better at each song. I honestly play more time on songs not for this week rather than the songs for this week. Like last night I played Trippin'.... like 6 times in a row trying to follow the star path that was posted. I would activate early everytime. I FC'ed it 6 times in a row and 5 out of 6 I got within 200 points of the score I have posted. But then that sixth time, I did a whole lot better (like 8k better I think). I just like to play the game. It is not about winning for me, but rather getting more points each week. Two people in the league had more points in week one that I got in weeks two and three combined.

If VRocker screwed up oh well... but here is something I wonder. Could a FC be that low on CoWS? I don't think I have ever scored that low even when I got 85% accuracy. Just food for thought
dannimal  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrSham wrote:
Just to add my whinge on the 'sandbagging' claims. I have a particular interest as I am currently 1st, and assume it's aimed at me more than anyone else.

Don't assume.

Quote:

Oh, and as you beat me on Carry Me Home this week, obviously the hardest song, and if i'm sandbagging, what exactly are YOU doing here?

*laugh* Nevermind that you had the only FC, or that you beat him on the other 3 songs.

Quote:
OK so I may be proficient in medium but so what, to be honest I would expect anyone who has played GH1 from about 9 months ago, and who has played any length of time, to be able to FC most songs at this level.

And yet, if you go back and look at the scores, an average song sees about half the people FC. Here's a thought. If you can FC most songs at this level, you don't belong at this level. You most likely have the skills to beat most/all of the songs on Hard.

Here's the description of C League, from the FAQ:

FAQ wrote:
C - If you are having difficulty playing most of the songs on Hard, you belong in this league. By "having difficulty" I mean you are unable to pass several Hard songs, not just the toughest ones.

Take a look at your sig image. You've beaten every song on Hard, and have 5* on about half of them.

Quote:

Finally, a few words of advice that may help you on the SH forums. If you got nothing constructive or complimentary to add then keep it shut.

I don't need any advice, thanks. Especially since you seem happy to dispense it, but unable to follow it.

I love the site. The core is fantastic, being able to track scores and figuring out * ratings (beyond 5*, even). Comparing scores with a friend, seeing how truly dismal you are with the 500th ranked score on a Medium song, all of it.

My one beef is this idea that if you don't fall in line with the groupthink, you should just shut up (which you summed up nicely). With 10,000+ users, there's going to be different opinions. Saying "if you don't agree, keep quiet" is nonsense.

Anyway, here's my constructive bit: I think that any "new" player shouldn't be able to self-select C League. That would have applied to me, even though I'd have gotten crushed (even worse).

Proud to be Hyperspeed free.
quackadilly  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeeze....you guys are acting like a bunch of kids.....

Just play the game....so what if you don't win.

Here's the solution:

Get better.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im not the commish for league C or javman or anything so its ultimately not my final call but you guys should be embarassed to be bickering in such a silly and petty way. Obviously there is a fundamental weakness of league C which is that the sort of people who are in it are usually new at the game and their skills will be very volatile, so there might be a huge spread in scores, and also a lot of change in relative skill level form week to week. If anything thats our (commishes) fault for not really anticipating that and tryign to take a proactive approach to solve those in advance by perhaps poitning out explicitly that the standing rule about casting aspersions on suspected false scores on the forums, or making subtle personal attacks on other members definitely applies to the league forums, even though we dont have Riz swimming sharkily through these waters trying to ban-chomp anybody who falls overboard.

If everybody seems to have such a problem with the skill level imbalances and the volatile nature of playing on medium the easy fix is to just get rid of league C for next season, and have B be the lowest league and split it up into parts if its too big in the same way that we are doign with A (and probably AA next season as well) so that the people who can 5*/6*/FC a lot of H will be separated from the people still tryign ot learn it. Thats a sort of decision that is made a lot easier by threads like this (and i realize that its only a minority of people who are actually leading it in that way, but thats the way it goes theres always some folks who risk ruining it for everybody else too).
Ashes2Ashes  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason I posted it in the forum was more because I was looking for other peoples' opinion on whether it was something to be looked into, not just "elx, fake score, attack!". Of course I didn't expect people to attack my integrety, nor that I would have to defend myself. I admit I could have used a better tone in pointing out the info, but I felt it needed to be discussed, or something.

Anyway I think I'm going to implement Barfo's idea into the GHI leagues. I will simply have a B league including all B and C signups, and after the first week I will split them up accordingly. I don't want to completely drop one of my commissioners so close to the start of leagues so the B league commish and I will co-run the B-C league for the first weeks, and then take separate sections once the split is made.
DrSham  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Believe it or not, I actually chose to go into League 'B' in the first place & volunteered to go to League 'C' if the numbers were short and the commish's felt that I was closer to 'C' or 'B' material at the time, and I ended up here (Ganz was in the same boat but got moved back to 'B'). If it's felt by some that i'm in the wrong league then there are probably a few of us in the same position.

As I said it doesn't matter, so if some feel that I am in the wrong league then i'll just continue practising on hard ready for 'B' next season, and i'll tell elx to remove my scores to date and recalculate as he see's fit. It simply isn't worth the crap continuing. After all, what would I actually win anyway?

GL to all who remain (well most of you anyway), and especially those for viewing this for what is was from the start, and not moaning that someone else was actually beating them. Jeez, the temerity!!

Enjoy, and i'll see some of you in 'B' next season for both GH1 & GH2 to lock horns some more.

Gamertag - Doc Sham
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: Doc Sham
rabies  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barfo wrote:
even though we dont have Riz swimming sharkily through these waters trying to ban-chomp anybody who falls overboard.

We don't need riz..we have me!

Locked before this even more ugly. Final days of the final week for the season guys. Just turn the game on, play, enjoy and post scores. That is what we are all here to do.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Leagues -> Past Seasons All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: