ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Strategy Guide --- Beyond 100%; Maximizing Your Score
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Guitar/Bass
View previous topic :: View next topic  
malictus  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all for the feedback; it sounds like many people feel strongly about the tilt vs. select activation thing, so I'm going to go back and revise that section a bit. I also plan to take emptyset's advice and go through the path-making process step-by-step with a sample chart (probably Parasite expert).

Stay tuned!
Jaksiel  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good stuff. Select is definitely the way to go on activating SP. I just have my pinky hovered over select for the whole song.

Arterial Black is a good stong to practice whammying short held notes.
Slowhand  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beginner's guide to SP charts

I'll relate how I go about making charts and Mali can add to it or tell me where I'm wrong.

Don't go by my ranks or scores, I am mediocre. Charting is a different skill.
Be prepared to count sections to find out that one path has 381 note and the inferior path has 372.
For me, charting alot of songs in expert is irrelevant as I can barely play them.
Squeezing matters particularly for starting and stop notes.
Sp phrases may stay the same but the paths can vary quite abit between levels.

I start with the end. Don't ya hate when you end a song with leftover SP? But in some cases the best path won't use the final SP. You have to determine if there are enough points after the last SP. If there are mega points before the last sp and few after, then the last sp is useless. This happens more often in easy and medium as they have fewer notes in the train wreck endings. If you will act. after the last sp, then you need to determine how many more sp phrases will go with it. If you can get 7.5 beats of whammy it can act alone, if not look backwards to see what phrase to combine it with.

For example if a song had 10 SP's, and you need 2 for the final act., at least 9 and 10 will be combined. Then look farther back. Is there a good amount of points after SP 8? Enough space after 8? if there isn't enough room for an activation, or too few points, then 8 will combine with 9 and 10. This can also lead to leftover sp.

The next part can sometimes be easily done visually. Is there a section that obviously has a huge note density? I'll try and arrange the path to act sp for the most measures that are meaningful. This is easier as more notes are added to the hard and expert diff. levels.

From that point you need to figure out how many sp phrases you need to get the most out of the high density areas, and work from there.

The amount of measures between sp phrases can also be a determining factor between 3-3-2-2 or 2-3-2-1-2. Generally only play over sp if the note counts warrant it. This happens more often on the easy and medium levels too as alot of the sp phrases are "where the notes are". Choosing to play over and wipe out an sp phrase can be THE difference in an optimal path. This happens on soy bomb I believe. In some cases such as CFH, you cant avoid playing over SP.

Remember that you can control the length of activation with the amount of whammy on hold phrases. Sometimes it's best not to whammy to fit an activation in. This is where having a good estimate of the activation length is critical. Remember too that you can begin the activation during the Sp hold like in ILRR and Infected.

Try not to put 4 sp together. By doing so you lose all extra sp length you can gain from whammies. BTW if you can whammy dive bomb every possible short hold, your path might be different than someone else's. I tend to break streaks on short whammy in fast tempo so I don't count those for myself.

There are some activations in repetitive parts that the start point isn't critical (YAY). For squeezers, starting on chords that will end on chords is better than starting or ending on single notes. Once the diff. level increases, verses with chords start to be worth more than the many note solos.

Overall, you try to get the most measures (beats, notes) under sp by taking advantage of whammy, and then use those in the highest note/measure areas. I found charting medium and hard were sometimes easier than easy. In the easy level, you WILL be counting notes as ther are so few, each one is huge.

I use paint, number the SP phrases (this helps me when playing the songs) and then draw boxes around the activations on the exact start and stop points. And then I tilt when playing making the exactness useless but oh well......

So many of the pathes posted here should be tweaked slightly, and not all the follow up tweaks are posted. But make your own first and then check to see what's posted. It is pretty cool when you make a chart, check what's posted and it's exactly the same down to the length and starting notes.

MIAB is a good start. Trogdor also only has 5 sp phrases so the possible combinations are few. Trogdor is also a good example of 6/4 measures leading to more beats under sp.
Vocal Stylings for Throat Punch
PSN - jaypen123
GH3 and RB community - Slowhand123
Sakst82  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

malictus wrote:
Thanks all for the feedback; it sounds like many people feel strongly about the tilt vs. select activation thing, so I'm going to go back and revise that section a bit. I also plan to take emptyset's advice and go through the path-making process step-by-step with a sample chart (probably Parasite expert).

Stay tuned!

I'll be happy to tweak your Parasite path to show you exactly where all the squeezes are

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I go about chart-making the other way around: start at the beginning and mindlessly consider every possibility. Obviously, there are no decisions to make when you have less than half-a-bar of SP. Once you get a half-bar, on every note, you're faced with a choice: activate now, or wait it out for a bit? If you activated, you'd end up with X points at measure Y when you ran out of SP; if you didn't, you'd have Z points and yea-much star power. Record all this data for future consultation. Advance down the chart a bit; reconsider the consequences of activation on all viable paths; repeat. You'll eventually be able to cull blatantly obvious strategies - if I have a full bar of SP at this point, and another path got me here with a full bar of SP but fewer points, don't even consider the latter one anymore - and if you keep at it, you eventually winnow it down to a single superior choice.

This has the benefit of deriving the true optimal path when all is said and done. On the downside, this approach requires a metric ton of effort. (I wrote a script for GHI that did the hard work for me. Really ought to think about applying it to GHII one of these days.) Still, in some cases - especially when there are SP phrases all over the place and there is no "obvious" strategy - it is a thorough (if pedantic) approach.

Amusing the world 140 characters at a time: http://www.twitter.com/youhas
mrseb  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sycocoaster wrote:
A very excellent FAQ. My one issue is that you stress so much over not using tilt activation to squeeze, but the #1 score on Parasite was done using tilt activation by Sakst82. There are probably some others that were tilt activation as well. While the select button is more reliable, tilting can work just as well for some people.

i too use tilt, i dnt have a number 1 score as of yet but i have come close on numerous occasions

(GH1 league)
GH1/GH2 Hard FC's Goals
Code:

[ ] Parasite         [X] Infected
[ ] Soy Bomb         [ ] Fat Lip
[ ] Elephant Bones   [ ] Even Rats
[ ] Girlfriend       [ ] Killer Queen
[ ] Yes We Can       [ ] Story of my Love
malictus  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, I got stickied

I just made an update to the guide --- I changed the section about tilt vs. select activation, added a couple of new bits here and there, and most importantly, I added a step-by-step guide to creating an SP chart, using Parasite Expert as an example. Those of you who have been fighting for the number 1 spot on that song (Sakst, Pope, Javman), please correct my final path if it's off --- I think it's very close, but I might be off by a note here or there.

Last edited by malictus on Sun Feb 18, 2007 9:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
wupun  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Malictus, great guide.

Keep up the good work!
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message MSN Messenger PSN Name: Wupun
MisirlouDeDale  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice guide. I tried using my pinky.... it felt a little awkward. I usually keep my hand in place and press down with my wrist. :/ It's a little weird, but very useful for fast passages.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v339/pappy905/DSC04259.jpg
^The log is now unlocked!^
---------------
Wow, tonight (March 19th, 2007) has been great!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Drewbug17  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 1:14 am    Post subject: Printing of Note Charts Reply with quote

Great guide! The squeezing and note chart info are great tools. I'm having some trouble getting the note charts to print from Mozilla. It keeps saying that the whole chart is only one page and then only printing one page of the chart. Is there a way to get it to print the whole chart, or is there someplace else that has note charts in a different format that can be printed?
Thanks!
saxev2005  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this information is really useful.....i really could use some of this.....

EDIT: i could use some in-person help on how to squeeze.....i just can't get it.....

GH GOALS (EXPERT):
20 mil (GH2)
Top 100 (GH 80s)
20.5 mil (GH3)

Last edited by saxev2005 on Sat Feb 24, 2007 1:41 am; edited 1 time in total
malictus  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: Printing of Note Charts Reply with quote

Drewbug17 wrote:
I'm having some trouble getting the note charts to print from Mozilla. It keeps saying that the whole chart is only one page and then only printing one page of the chart. Is there a way to get it to print the whole chart, or is there someplace else that has note charts in a different format that can be printed?
Thanks!

I had trouble with this too. I ended up taking the images into Photoshop and manually splitting them up using the Slice tool. Perhaps someone else knows an easier way?
Drewbug17  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 7:52 pm    Post subject: Printing Note Charts Reply with quote

MS Paint works fine also. I just copied the image into paint, resized it down 87%, switched to landscape printing, and un-centered the image. Good to Go!

I still couldn't find a good list of charts for all the songs. Does some website have that?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Printing Note Charts Reply with quote

Drewbug17 wrote:
I still couldn't find a good list of charts for all the songs. Does some website have that?

This one does!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

awesome info...

The only thing I have to comment on is that I'm a Lefty... so while whammying I can't keep my thumb on the strum bar... I can't picture how I do it right now for some reason, but I know I lose some valuable points by taking my hand away from the strum bar...

anyways...
great thread!

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Guitar/Bass All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 2 of 11

Jump to: