ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
how to learn alternate strumming...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Guitar/Bass
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eachann  

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 1:11 pm    Post subject: how to learn alternate strumming... Reply with quote

I need some tips from some of you experts out there who have gotten good at alternate strumming. I've gotten through hard far enough that I've passed all of the licensed songs (haven't really worked on the bonus tracks) and I've 5 starred about 22-23 of them... but I can see I'm not going to get much further without learning how to strum both up and down because I just can't strum fast enough to keep up with the note/chords. BATM and CFH are the most extreme examples of this, though it would help a ton on some of the other songs as well.

I can't seem to figure out how to do it though... whatever rhythem I have just seems to go out the window when I start strumming both directions. Alternate strumming did get me through CFH but it got me through very badly. It allowed me to hit enough of the notes to pass, but I can't actually hit most of the notes or maintain any kind of streak. On BATM I can't do alternate strumming at all.. it just screws me up too much, but it is WAY too fast for me to hit most of the notes without it. Once I get past the intro part I can kind of hold my own... it becomes pretty similar to "medium" when you are in the middle of the song, but that opening riff is so fast, I usually fail at 13% into the song. If I get past there I can beat the song.

Any tips on how to learn how to do this? Do you have any special techniques you use to alternate strum properly? Did you do anything in particular to help you learn how to do it?

Thanks!
Mr. Green

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only song I use it on is The Breaking Wheel, and it's giving me trouble. Basically, one mathematical way to think about it is like this: The rate that you move your hand to simply down-strum every other note is the rate you chould move your hand to alternate strum every note, if that makes sense (I just had wisdom teeth pulled, and I'm more than a bit drugged).

Oh, yeah, I alternate strum BATM in the quick sequence before he goes "BARK at the moon!"
Genga  

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i alternate strum on that too, the first riff is a pain in the arse, but after a couple bars i adjust to it, then come the next time it comes on im all over the place again
ImaCarrot  

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually just down strum BATM, I've only been able to 4 start it on hard and 3 star it on expert though. I had to learn alternate strumming for Decontrol to 5 star it on hard. The only way I've been able to even 4 start Breaking Wheel is with alternate strumming, that ones harder than BATM in my opinion, I just can't get the rythem down.
JCirri  

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved to Technique, Style and Gameplay.

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just like with the real guitar, the last thing you want to try to do is learn alternate strumming on a song you can't downpick on...like CFH or BaTM...this will only end in frustration, as you are trying to learn a technique at too high a level. Much like trying to swim when you don't yet even know how to float.

My suggestion would be to pick an easy song, where you don't have a lot of chord changes, and one you normally down pick on..and try alternate strumming it.....prime examples would be I wanna be sedated..or unsung.

Once you get comfortable with it on easier songs, you can gradually increase speed, and throw in more complex left hand work..until it becomes second nature..and you alternate pick everything..like me..just because it is less strain on the right hand.

Also, understand that just because you are alternate strumming..does not mean everything has to go down and up all the time...there are plenty of passages where you mix all downpicking with alternate strumming. Tip #1 is to always start an alternate pick passage with a downpick...if there is a pause in the alternate picking (and there almost always is), and your last picking action was a downpick, you would resume out of the pause with another downpick..rather than an up-pick..this should help keep your rhythm.

much like everything else in the game..practice practice..but practice smart. Practice a slow song you can nail easy with downpicks first.

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Decontrol is a great practice song for alt strumming. A lot of very constant rythym, yet not insanely-fast strumming. It'll teach you how to understand the beat with the alt strumming, and also a bit of how-to-switch-notes, which is actually just as hard.

After decontrol... I learned Ace of spades (the 5 fast greens), bark at the moon (main riff), and breaking wheel... though I could see how the fast greens in higher ground would make good practice.

Basically, you want to learn it like this:

1. Reasonable, constant speed, constant note parts, occasionally switching notes (decontrol)
2. Faster, short parts (ace of spades, BATM riff)
3. Everything else (CBfH riff, breaking wheel)

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rabies wrote:
Also, understand that just because you are alternate strumming..does not mean everything has to go down and up all the time...there are plenty of passages where you mix all downpicking with alternate strumming. Tip #1 is to always start an alternate pick passage with a downpick...if there is a pause in the alternate picking (and there almost always is), and your last picking action was a downpick, you would resume out of the pause with another downpick..rather than an up-pick..this should help keep your rhythm.

This is where I usually get tripped up. My hand wants to play guitar: keep the picking rhythm constant, pulling back slightly if there's a break in the notes played (yet still moving my hand as if I were strumming). Easiest way to play syncopated passages (opening riff to Higher Ground, BatM main, arrhythmic Breaking Wheel end chords, etc.) IRL. But the world is against me here: the strum bar is ginormous compared to a string, there's considerable springback, and (this is key) I was never really a very good guitar player to begin with, lol. The end result is that trying to play certain passages "naturally" leaves me (and my combo) feeling small. So I've tried to go the opposite way, in that when there's a break in a rhythm, I'll hold the bar down, then resume on an upstroke (or vice versa). Feels totally unnatural, but yields better results (for me) than treating the controller like a real guitar.

That said, I usually downpick whenever possible, both in-game and IRL. It compensates for my tendency to over-accent a note (nothing quite like having your hand fly all the way up to your neck during an overzealous upstroke, lol), and it leaves less room for my dyslexia to ambush me at an inopportune time.

Now If you'll excuse me, I think I'm gonna try to brute-force my way through Breaking Wheel again, lol.

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Rabies said, you usually find yourself picking down as you would be tapping your foot, anything in between that would be alternative strumming.

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaximusDM wrote:
As Rabies said, you usually find yourself picking down as you would be tapping your foot, anything in between that would be alternative strumming.

Or in my case the reverse, since I'm weird and pick upwards with my pointer finger.

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JCirri wrote:
MaximusDM wrote:

Or in my case the reverse, since I'm weird and pick upwards with my pointer finger.
BASS'd

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my friend does that...then i yell at him because normally picking down is easier, but then he just goes right back to upwards...silly upwards nerds...
Echelar  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shutendoji wrote:
my friend does that...then i yell at him because normally picking down is easier, but then he just goes right back to upwards...silly upwards nerds...

Don't insult us nerds. We fight back.

...unless it's bright outside.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shutendoji wrote:

Depends on how you learned... I started on bass, and when I picked up a six string I learned acoustic fingerpicking relatively easily. Up, down, thumb, fingers, pick, it's all a matter of preference.

Enough "cool" guitar talk, I'm-a go back to D&D now... *nerds out*
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Guitar/Bass All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: