ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Obama vs. McCain
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 59, 60, 61  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    ScoreHero Forum Index -> General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anterth  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 1:26 pm    Post subject: Obama vs. McCain Reply with quote

Now that its basically a 2-horse race, I was just curious to see which candidate everyone supports and why.
I like John McCain, because I personally feel he is stronger on national defense and supports tax cuts, whereas Obama supports raising taxes for his universal health care policy.

Also feel free to discuss any political issues...War in Iraq, universal health care, gas prices, global warming, etc.

*Please just make comments that either state an opinion or respectfully question someone elses. No flaming please.*
*Also, please do not stereotype or target any political party or affiliation, and if you do please do it in a respectful manner and state that it is simply your opinion.*

also if you like one-on-one debates or discussions feel free to slip me a pm.

thanks Karatechess!!

Last edited by anterth on Wed Aug 06, 2008 5:28 pm; edited 4 times in total
reincarnate  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obama definately. He'll get us out of this failed war, which will make up for whatever he decides to mess around with in the healthcare sector, plus he's anti-lobbyist, which is just what we need after George "Do whatever the Exxon Lobbyists tell me to" Bush.

Mah Customs!
๏̯͡๏﴿ރ
Click there
anterth  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

why do you think this is a failed war? not too long ago hope for the war seemed dim but since the recent troop surge significant progress has been made.

i feel that sometimes Obama's plan to remove the troops immediatley is too irresponsible, especially when things have been going so well recently.

thanks Karatechess!!

Last edited by anterth on Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
TheRiff  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anterth wrote:
why do you think this is a failed war? not too long ago hope for the war seemed dim but since the recent troop surge significant progress has been made.

i feel that sometimes Obama's plan to remove the troops immediatley is too irresponsible, especially when things have been been going so well recently.

Its "failed" because in reality we had no business there to begin with. All were doing is forcing our ways on a very dangerous country and were losing tons of money towards the military and even more importantly, American lives. Im for Obama because John McCain is a republican, and he has ties to Bush, who ruined our country. I want a whole new path with new perspectives, aiming for change.

New goals:
FC Slither [ ]
FC The Outsider [ ]
FC Seventeen, I Wanna Rock, or, R&R [ ]
SilverSwift  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can already see this thread being rapidly derailed because of a war debate, but I'll chuck my thoughts in there as someone who doesn't live in the US (therefore, my opinion doesn't exactly count for much!).

I followed the Democratic nomination with interest all the way through, and I think that if Obama decides to take Clinton on as his running mate, he'll get a few more votes...as stereotyped and brash as it sounds, he will get more female votes if she's officially endorsing him and in the race with him. McCain's got the background advantage, and to me seems quite a personable type, but Obama is also an exceptional public speaker, really inspiring. Unfortunately, it does seem as though the whole thing will be decided by which of the big negatives is the largest. McCain has the problem of having inherited a somewhat poisoned chalice with Bush preceding him, and pledging support to the war may not have been a smart move, as it seems a lot of people seems to be against it. Obama, on the other hand, manifestos aside, is in the interesting position whereby he's the first black presidential candidate in the history of the US. Whilst I realise that this is a very sensitive issue and very unpredictable, I honestly think that's going to go against him in the long run, especially with certain states.

These two actually seem to agree on a fair few issues, moreso than previous candidates, which is interesting. It's a really, really tough one to call, but I'm going to call Obama in an extremely close contest. He has the natural ability, and most importantly of all, a campaign machine that really seems to know what it's doing.

(As always with political debate and such, this is all my opinion and not intended to offend, disregard it if you will. =P)

emptyset wrote:
I should ban you all and never look back.
ChimpyDolittle  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I'll go for Obama just because he's the Democrat in this race. The idea of universal healthcare is incredibly tempting, and besides that, I just have a lot of liberal views concerning social issues. I've got nothing against McCain, but I just can't stand to think of 4 more years under anybody who is like George W. Bush.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheRiff wrote:
anterth wrote:

i feel that sometimes Obama's plan to remove the troops immediatley is too irresponsible, especially when things have been been going so well recently.

Its "failed" because in reality we had no business there to begin with. All were doing is forcing our ways on a very dangerous country and were losing tons of money towards the military and even more importantly, American lives. Im for Obama because John McCain is a republican, and he has ties to Bush, who ruined our country. I want a whole new path with new perspectives, aiming for change.

but since the war there have been zero successful terrorist attacks on american soil and saddam hussein has been removed from power. surely this can be considered as a success?

how about the experience/lack of experience that is sure to play a role in this election. anyone have opinions about this?

thanks Karatechess!!
SilverSwift  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anterth wrote:
but since the war there have been zero successful terrorist attacks on american soil and saddam hussein has been removed from power. surely this can be considered as a success?

how about the experience/lack of experience that is sure to play a role in this election. anyone have opinions about this?

Depends on what perspective you have. I think what TheRiff was getting at was the fact that many troops have been killed, and the area of fighting is still just that- an area of fighting. Whilst the regime has been toppled, guerilla warfare remains, and in many ways that can just as bad as a full-scale clash, because it can last for so much longer. So in that sense, it hasn't been great- on the other hand, as you say, there haven't been any further attacks. Whether that's a direct consequence of the war (solely) is another matter.

I alluded to the experience thing in my previous post, but I think although Obama's relatively young and inexperienced, as long as he plays his cards right, he always has a shot- plus his support staff will play a massive role in the campaign, advising him of what to do at the various steps. Whilst a lot of it does come down to the candidates themselves, some don't realise how crucial a decent background team really is. The speechwriters, public appearance coordinators, security, the ground preparation for a state visit, everything is so meticulously organised, and it really helps a candidate if they have that behind them.

emptyset wrote:
I should ban you all and never look back.

Last edited by SilverSwift on Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
rkcr  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm definitely an Obama man. I went to a rally he held in Minneapolis back in February, and when he spent half an hour listing what he wanted to get done in Washington I just felt really pumped afterwards.

I don't really have time to get into the specifics; although I don't agree with all of Obama's views, I certainly agree with a whole lot more of his than I do with McCain's. And that's how it generally is with me and Democrats vs. Republicans. But there's something more to Obama - when he explains his views, I see some serious thought that went into them, rather than that the opinion was only formed for political reasons.

anterth wrote:
why do you think this is a failed war?

I never once supported the war, so in no way will it ever be a success in my mind. That it ever started in the first place was a complete failure in my mind, and its continuation is a blot on America's standing and reputation.
ChimpyDolittle  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anterth wrote:

Saddam Hussein was removed from power, and that is a positive thing, but as for there being no attacks since 9/11, well, how many attacks from radical Muslims were there before that? Not many, really.

As far as experience, I'm so fed up with the candidates that have lots of 'experience' in politics and then end up not changing anything because their experience in government tells them that it's easier to not change anything. In my mind, it's a positive thing for Obama not to have much experience.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rckr, im just curious as to why you never once supported the war. was it this particular war or do you just not support any war in general?

also, am I the only person on this website for McCain?!?!

thanks Karatechess!!
rkcr  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the off-topic post, but it was asked for:

anterth wrote:
rckr, im just curious as to why you never once supported the war. was it this particular war or do you just not support any war in general?

I would certainly call myself anti-war in general, but I had some very specific reasons for not supporting the Iraq war in the first place: I didn't think the evidence put forward by the government was good enough. For example, those fuzzy pictures of buildings didn't convince me that Saddam was building weapons of mass destruction. I saw zero link between 9/11 and Iraq. I felt that going to war to "free the people" was an extremely optimistic view, that they would never just embrace us with open arms and hearts once we "liberated" them.

I have to admit, the reasons I was against it was because I didn't trust the government, which is probably not the best way to be a citizen. At the same time, all the stuff I was worried about turned out to be completely true.

I do believe war is sometimes unavoidable. When something occurs (such as Germany invading much of Europe in WWII) it would be foolish to do nothing. However, the Iraq war was in no way necessary or even provoked - it was completely avoidable, and that we ever went in saddens me.
FrankieB  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anterth wrote:

also, am I the only person on this website for McCain?!?!

You have to realize a lot of people view McCain as Bush's third term. There is virtually no difference between McCain and what George Bush & Co. has been doing the past 8 years. There are just too many Americans now that are sick of the war, are sick of high gas prices (I know I know, Obama can't use his magic wand to lower them), we are sick of a lot of BS that is going on in this country and no one wants the same BS we've had to deal with, and the BS we've put the rest of the world through (inb4 911). Its true there are still a lot of people who don't feel that way, and thats fine, this is America and we are all entitled to our opinions.

I also support Obama, but I'm not here to debate over who's better.

America must be very careful with whom we elect this November because our future as a country is at stake, and inevitably the entire planet.

But as some might tell you, take what I say with a grain of salt. I believe in conspiracy theories (not all of them) and time traveling doomsday prophets.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: FRANK1E B
GHpwnzor  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I support McCain for a few reasons, however neither of the two candidates are very appealing to me.
There was a poll taken that asked who you would rather have answering the red phone during an international crisis at 3 o clock in the morning. To me, its McCain all the way in an emergency.

Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of themself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven." Such is the Rule of Honor.
Ealasaid  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm an Obama supporter for several reasons:

- He will protect my access to reproductive health care.
- He is a top-notch orator.
- He's inspiring to young people, which is good for the country.
- He's an outsider to Washington and thus less likely to get mired down in doing favors for their own sake and more likely to work to get things done.
- By and large, his voting record mirrors my own preferences.

There are others, but those are the basic ones.

I used to like McCain (as much as I like any Republican politician, anyway) but as he's set his eyes on the White House, he's sunk lower and lower in his pandering to the religious right, and has lost my respect pretty much entirely.
-Questionable Content
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: CasaEalasaid ICQ Number
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    ScoreHero Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 59, 60, 61  Next
Page 1 of 61

Jump to: