ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
GH:WT Wii DLC Storage Solution!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Misc GH Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daputti  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:16 pm    Post subject: GH:WT Wii DLC Storage Solution! Reply with quote

I am so frustrated. Read this.

Quote:

From http://www.nintendic.com/news/2577
Nintendo Wii owners missed out on extra downloadable content in their version of Guitar Hero III, but it was recently confirmed that the upcoming Guitar Hero: World Tour would include extra paid-for songs on the console. Developer Vicarious Visions has now divulged information on how, amid fears about the Wii’s lack of storage space, it’ll all work.

Vicarious Visions’ CEO Karthik Bala explained that players will either be able to store downloaded tracks on the Wii’s 512MB internal memory or on SD cards. The following is a portion from GameDaily’s interview with the man himself:

GD: With those downloadable packs, will players download that directly to the Wii’s internal memory or have you worked out a way to store those music packs elsewhere?

KB: Players can either download songs to the Wii System Memory or store songs on a SD Card, called the “Rock Archive”. When you want to play songs from the Rock Archive, players can create a custom set list, and then choose a venue and play!

Bala also explained that the songs are stored in a custom format, compressed as much as possible, especially for the Nintendo Wii - so hopefully you’ll be able to house quite a few on your Wii and external memory solutions without too much trouble. He added, that despite the compression, the music would “still sound great.”

Whether songs will be playable directly from the Wii’s SD card reader or needed to be copied onto the internal memory first isn’t yet known, although the former would make a lot more sense.

What is wrong with this??? I'll tell you! GH3 just didn't seem to be able to
store them on a SD card. Just why? Nobody knows. Now, the simplest solution
just popped up.

But, I see some better things here too.

Quote:
but it was recently confirmed that the upcoming Guitar Hero: World Tour would include extra paid-for songs on the console.

Does this mean that the Wii will get some extra songs?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well I don't really understand what you mean by a problem - the way I see it, this allows for Wii users to have DLC, which we DON'T currentely have - not a problem for me. Anyways, I have 2 SD cards so I should be able to store a large amount of data...

I'm confused by your point.

Also, would you happened to be / know a user named Daputti on iridethelines.com ?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The point is, they're using a solution that was possible before.

And yes, I'm Daputti from IRTL, but I don't draw Line Rider much
anymore because I don't have much time.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AH, well in that case...

Shows how retarded they are <_<

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A cool guy wrote:
"[R]eally clever ... Charted everything in the name of fun, but never too absurdly."

We had the only score!
eddyf  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loading from an SD card? Sounds like a potential source of customs... even though they probably tried pretty hard to patch up any security loopholes.

Guide to the Tick Engine in Guitar Hero 3

Current GHIII Goals:
700k TTFAF (current score: 661k)
ortiz1193  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So does this mean Wii if officially getting DLC?
Barfo  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: GH:WT Wii DLC Storage Solution! Reply with quote

Daputti wrote:
What is wrong with this??? I'll tell you! GH3 just didn't seem to be able to
store them on a SD card. Just why? Nobody knows. Now, the simplest solution
just popped up.

Well, i dont think somethign that requires custom compressed file format and also other issues that had to be sovled (such as permission from nintendo to have third party DLC on their service, DRM system and how to prevent hacked files) is 'simple' per se. I dont think anybody ever said that DLC for GH3 was 'technically' impossible, i think it was merely a matter of it was too much work for them to do (keep in mind they are a porting company, not the native developer of the game) in time for GH3, to solve all those issues. Would have been better if it was done faster and could have made it into GH3 a year ago, but seems to me its a case of better late than never, i guess. Doesnt make a lot of sense to clammor for DLC for the Wii and then when the company listens to that suggestion and works out a solution and implements it in the next game to be upset with them because that solution was 'possible' for earlier games. Online play over XBL in theory was 'possible' for GH2:360, but it didnt make it into the series until GH3/RB generation because of the scope of the GH2:360 project - ie it was mostly a port; would be similarly senseless to be mad at them for putting online play in GH3/RB even though its the same solution as would have worked for GH2:360 (XBL).

Daputti wrote:
Quote:
but it was recently confirmed that the upcoming Guitar Hero: World Tour would include extra paid-for songs on the console.

Does this mean that the Wii will get some extra songs?

Isn't that the whole subject of the article? (How did you miss that?) That they have worked out a system by which to supply DLC songs to the Wii using internal memory and SD cards? I doubt all of that DLC is going to be free, you'd expect them to make some of it to be a pay service. Nothing in that quote implies that it would be wii-exclusive content, if thats what you mean.
MrMiniMog  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't understand why the hell they would need to compress anything. A 2GB card would be more then enough for DLC, hell even a 1GB card would do for most people, and the pricing for SD cards are so cheap now anyway.

Not that this matters to me anymore now anyway. I bought a 360.
View user's profile Send private message XBL Gamertag: xMrMiniMog Wii Friend Code: 352313276237
xueyam  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say that the fact that "songs are stored in a custom format, compressed as much as possible, especially for the Nintendo Wii" is as much about security as it is about storage space.
Smeddy24  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The barrier before wasn't storage as much as distribution. WiiWare wasn't around back in October.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The SD card transfer rate is awful. And I read somewhere that Nintendo is working on a storage solution for the Wii. I'll look up the article later.
Mystakin  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The real question is whether or not the songs will be executable off the SD card. If not, it's going to be a managing nightmare for Wii DLC purchasers.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smeddy24 wrote:
The barrier before wasn't storage as much as distribution. WiiWare wasn't around back in October.

This.

Nintendo had no downloadable service other than Virtual Console and Channels set up at the time of Guitar Hero 3's development and release. Now that WiiWare is out, it supports DLC (FFCC: My Life as a King has it.)
So now, it is entirely possible for DLC. Now, for it not coming out in Aerosmith, I blame that on Aerosmith already not having DLC, and they would have to patch all of the old files if they wanted them to be compatible anyway.

Mystakin wrote:
The real question is whether or not the songs will be executable off the SD card. If not, it's going to be a managing nightmare for Wii DLC purchasers.

Yep. The guy says that all you have to do is select the songs from the Rock Archive and play, which I assume means playing off SD. Then again, just an assumption.

lazor wrote:
The SD card transfer rate is awful. And I read somewhere that Nintendo is working on a storage solution for the Wii. I'll look up the article later.

The maximum transfer speed is 20 Mbytes/s. That shouldn't be too slow. Although, it just depends how fast it the Wii SD reader can read it, and how good the media is.

I believe USB 2.0 is 60 Mbytes/s, though, for a speed comparison. The Wii does have USB 2.0 ports in the back, so external media via the USB ports would certainly be faster.

Either way, I am happy that the Wii is getting DLC, be it on a USB Hard/Flash drive, or a SD card.
Daputti  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I didn't seem to notice the distrbution problem at all

Well, anyways. The loading times on GH3 are pretty fast on the Wii,
and I don't think it would take much more time to load from an SD card,
I mean, Excite Truck could load MP3's pretty fast.

But also, the development crew promised that Wii GH3 would support DLC
as soon as possible. Now is soon, with WiiWare and the possible storage,
but they just let us down. No DLC, ever, for GH3 Wii. Well, we'll just have to wait for WT.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Misc GH Game Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: