ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Ace of Spades - hard

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Guitar/Bass
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eachann  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 6:27 pm    Post subject: Ace of Spades - hard Reply with quote

Man do I need help on this song... i'm not sure if anybody can really help me so maybe this post will just be a rant Mr. Green

Most songs even if i suck at them, I can keep playing them and eventually my scores start improving and if I keep working at them, I will finally get 5-stars. AoS though just sucks.... I have been playing it over and over again and I still can't get more than 3 stars. I usually get around 60,000 points, my best is only 72,000. I simply can't hit the passages with the B-G-Y-G-R-G followed by 5 fast greens. Every now and then I'll get through one without a miss, but I miss the very next one so it doesn't really help. I've tried all downpicking as fast as I can, I've tried alternating picking, I simply can't seem to do it and I can't seem to improve at all.

Any advice at all? I checked the AOS-hard starpower thread, but there was nothing there...

and speaking of starpower, is there any way to use the starpower in the beginning part of the song without losing one set of stars? It seems that no matter how I do it , I waste one set of stars because the starpower is still activated when I ge to the next set.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I play AoS somewhat strangely. I alternate pick the 5 greens, and single pick the BGYGRG. Whatever works, I guess.

To your star power question: yes. The very first star power is long enough that you whammy out a half bar and use it right away. Then there's two more before it goes back to the ggggg bgygrgg part, and you can whammy those completely, use them immediately, and it'll run out before the next star combo.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

heres what i do for a strumming technique at the beginning. D=Down U=Up

D DUDUD D DU DU D DUDUD D DU DU D-------

as for the star power strategy, ill post mine in the expert forum.

EDIT: never mind, i saw that you needed help with hard, ill try to put it in hard.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ES942 wrote:

as for the star power strategy, ill post mine in the expert forum.

EDIT: never mind, i saw that you needed help with hard, ill try to put it in hard.

This is exactly what I do. I have no idea why I do it, since I almost never have the same strategy as the better people in this game (may contribute to why I suck. ), but it feels pretty natural for the song. This is how I got my 5-star on it (and my 4-star on Expert).

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i used to strum completely down for it...cause i thought the rhythm would be too weird for me to handle, but i strum up and down now since i don't miss it anymore (sometimes i would miss it and sometimes i'd get it... pretty weird)
rammy  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a very difficult song for me too at hard to get 5 stars. I can get all the other notes fine except the 5 greens. I'm not very good at alternate, I've tried it a few times with other songs and it was half and half most of the times. Thanks for the tips on the star power usage, I'll try it next time! The Breaking Wheel and Decontrol are pain in the ass for me too. But for strange reason (maybe I like the song) Get Ready 2 Rokk is average...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Echelar wrote:
I play AoS somewhat strangely. I alternate pick the 5 greens, and single pick the BGYGRG. Whatever works, I guess.

To your star power question: yes. The very first star power is long enough that you whammy out a half bar and use it right away. Then there's two more before it goes back to the ggggg bgygrgg part, and you can whammy those completely, use them immediately, and it'll run out before the next star combo.

That doesn't sound strange to me, that's exactly how i've been trying to do it... I have an extremely hard time alternate picking on anything that isn't a string of the same note. If I try to change a bunch of notes while alternate strumming everything goes to hell for me. I can usually get the bgygrg part of it but the 5 greens kill me.

Thanks for the advice on the star power... that should improve my score a little bit.. Then it's just a matter of hitting those 5g strings consistently...

One thing I really have to give this game credit for... it's a tremendous challenge without pushing me away.... I mean it's very difficult, yet everytime i think I can't get any better, suddenly I start playing things I couldn't before and it keeps me wanting to improve until I get it. Such a fun and addictive game

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ES942 wrote:

I do mine the exact same way, except i start with U instead of D. you just have to get your hands comfortable in doing the parts after the fast greens. sometime i just hold the green and as i tap D on the bar, hit the other note at the same time.
eachann  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOOOOHOOOO I finally 5 starred this song...
man oh man... I ended up going back to medium and redoing it all with alternate strumming so that I could learn alternate strumming and when I got back to Ace of Spades, my high score went up to about 90,000 but I still couldn't play it very well. I kept working at it and then suddenly I started hitting that B-G-Y-G-R-G-GGGGG Riff... not every time but often and my score went up to about 110,000. Finally I had that great run I've been looking for where I hit the majority of those riffs and I scored 127,000 and got the 5 star. I actually screwed up a few things in the song, but still got a good score.. I know it's not a huge score, low end of 5 star but I was stuck at 70,000 for so long so it's great
GibsonGuy100  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 5:13 pm    Post subject: Ace Of Spades Reply with quote

I use the same technique but i can hit 4 of those GGGGG.
rammy  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally 5 stars it today also. It took me 3 tries back to back and on the third try, I had no problem with the 5 green and hammer on section. 4x plus a couple of SP almost all the way to complete with 149k. Texas Flood, CFH, BATM and Breaking Wheel left on Hard. Someday I'll be Guitar God on Hard.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Guitar/Bass All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: