ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Issues with midis , please read..........

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ta2d2001  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 3:16 pm    Post subject: Issues with midis , please read.......... Reply with quote

Well , I have successfully added custom songs to GH2 thru the very well written tutorial and played them.

I noticed on a couple songs that the synch goes out in the middle of the song and I wanted to try my hand at either correcting this or simply redoing it. So I tried to follow the Idiot's guide to MAKING custom songs. This is the point where I call myself an IDIOT.

I have NO experiance what-so-ever with tablatures , reading or playing musical instruments. Do I need this knowledge to be able to make the midi required? Do I have to physically add every note to a note chart?
That just wouldn't be possible for me. So the following is what I tried. Please advise to what I did wrong or what I should have done different.

I found a midi for Metallica's For Whom the Bell Tolls. I noticed it had midi tracks for Voice and a couple for Drums. When I followed the guide and used the template provided to copy the notes over I deleted Voice and Drums. I copied what I determined to be the Rhythm part over to Part Rhythm and likewise with the Lead and Bass. Then I deleted what was left of the original midi and was left with the template filled with the new notes.

This is where most of the questions come in. Had it been done correctly , I could add it to the game no problem. But I don't understand how the midi (a proper one) gets the notes into GH2. Is the midi the notechart? And how do multiple difficulty levels appear in ONE midi? If I make a midi using the process I explained above , or any other process for that matter , would I have to actually go in and change the notes around for an easier difficulty setting? With no musical talent , this wouldn't be something I could do.

I guess it simply boils down to me not being able to read or write a note to dave my life , so is this something I should give up on?
Riz  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I certainly hope you never have to "dave your life", cause I imagine that would be awkward... especially if you don't know any Daves.

However, I think you've pretty much summed up your position accurately with respect to making charts. Yes, it's pretty much essential to have at least some basic knowledge of music. The more advanced the knowledge, the easier a time you're going to have of it. No knowledge, however, is a recipe for minimally extreme frustration, and ultimately, failure.

To answer your fundamental questions, however;

Yes, you need to add every note to a note chart, in addition to adding appropriate tempo changes to keep those notes in sync with the music.

No, a "musical" midi is absolutely worthless to the game, except as possibly a reference to creating charts, from the point of view of timing, and tone relationships. GH uses the midi file format, but it has nothing to do with what you normally think of as a musical midi file.

The GH midi file uses notes to represent the 5 buttons, star power, and switchess between players in (non-pro) faceoff mode, among other things. The different difficulties are represnted by the same sets of notes for each of those functions, appearing in different octaves.

Yes, you have to change the notes around, create them from scratch, even, for each of the difficulties. You can copy one difficulty to another as a basis to start working from and edit from there, but essentially, each is a seperate creation project.

So, in the end, I would say yes, it's probably something you don't currently have the skills for. If at some point you acquire some knowledge of music, and better, computer music as well, such as how to work with midi and midi sequencers, it will make the task much more managable for you.

Riz.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the quick reply , I'll just stick to trying to master Carry Me Home Ho's/Po's for now........... lol
ImaCarrot  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't let Riz scare you (too much), I actually have very little music theory knowledge (and what I do have is what I've learned just by doing custom songs). When I started trying to create customs, I knew nothing of music, I still don't really know much, but it's enough to allow me to stumble through the custom creation process.

Learning to read sheet music and guitar tabs is extremely helpful, you don't have to be able to do it perfectly or know what all of the notations are called (I sure don't!), but after awhile of working with them, you'll start to see how they can translate into a Guitar Hero chart.

Riz is right about all of the technicalities of the Guitar Hero note chart, he's also right about possible uses for a midi downloaded off the net. It can be a great point of reference, but you are going to have to move each and every note (or just create it) to the right position in the midi so Guitar Hero can read it as a note.

If you've got enough determination, you can learn how to make custom charts, regardless of how much musical experience you have.

Good luck.
ta2d2001  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I decided to try anyways , and got Tabit registered.

First question would be is.... For Whom the Bell Tolls seems to go from 16 beat bars to 20 off and on. How do I change individual bars lengths in Tabit? I think I might be able to pluck my way through this....... who knows.....
skywilliam  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, without seeing the tab for it, I would say that it sounds like the time signature changes from 4/4 to 5/4.

4/4 is 4 quarter notes/4beats per measure. 4 quarter notes make up 16 sixteenth notes.
5/4 is 5 quarter notes/4 beats per measure. 5 quarter notes make up 20 sixteenth notes respectively.

I'm not sure how to change measure lengths in tabit. I've been using midi maestro to add meters (time signature changes) where needed. I just keep a note of where measures start so I don't confuse myself.

If there is a way to do this in Tabit, I'd love to hear how myself.
ta2d2001  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for that reply! That's the info I needed to know to get this figured out. Now I'll just figure out how to make the adjustments.

Thanks again!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: