ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
BaTM help: How do you strum?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Guitar/Bass
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shorneh  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 7:13 am    Post subject: BaTM help: How do you strum? Reply with quote

If this has already been posted, I'm sorry.

I've seen movies of Phr34k, Krimsun, and some others playing BaTM, and have been wondering what is the easiet way to strum this song on Expert? Is it easier to go up-and-down, or just constantly down-strumming the bar?

Help would be greatly appreciated!
dd3mon  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Up and down. Very necessary if you wanna get a good score.

Difficult to learn (up and down strumming seems very foreign if you've never done it before, it takes alot of practice to hit even easy rhythms) - but this is a necessary skill to get very good scores on several hard and expert songs.

As I get better, I'm alternate strumming more and more parts of songs I used to single strum. Easier on the hands, overall more relaxed feel so in turn my scores go up. Just takes alot of time to get good at it.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure what difficulty you are talking about here, you didn't specify.
But for the intro on both hard and expert you should be down, up, down on the 3 greens that come up and then down on ever note that comes after each of those greens.

If you are playing on hard, it is even a bit easier because you can keep your finger down on green the entire time because the chords after the greens only appear in the Expert difficulty.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The way I do it is as follows....

The main rythym I tap the first note, then I double strum the 3(5) quick notes starting with a down strum.

So your strumming pattern would be like this from the start:

down, down, down, up, down, down, down, up, down, down, down, up, down..........

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do it like this: (from the very beginning of the song)

Down, Down, UpDownUp, Down, UpDownUp, Down, UpDownUp, Down, UpDownUp, Down, UpDownUpDownUp, Down, UpDownUp, Down, UpDownUp, Down, UpDownUp, Down, Down, Down

repeat

(on Expert btw)
Genga  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive started to strum down more

on expert i strum down each time until it gets to

RY/RB/GGG/RB/GGG/RB/GGG/YB/GGG/YB/GGGGG/RY

for the 5 green i go down up down up down
krimsunmunkeys  

Location: The Hall of the SH Council... watching... (not really)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaximusDM wrote:
Not sure what difficulty you are talking about here, you didn't specify.

Shorneh wrote:
what is the easiet way to strum this song on Expert?

Heh.

Anyway, yes, alternate strumming is definitely the best way to go. I really can't give detailed information about strumming patterns, because I don't really pay attention to mine. If you need help keeping time, try to form your strumming pattern so that your "good direction" (probably down) hits on key moments. For example, when you have GGBGGGRGGGYGGGBGGG R+B after the main riff, I start with a down strum so that the non-green notes are hit with a down strum and help me stay in time.

Really, you should learn to use alternate strumming all of the time. Once you learn it, it is infinitely better than single strumming. As long as you practice alternate strumming, you'll learn where you still need help with strumming and learn to form your own patterns (as the above posters have) to fit the game's trouble spots.
MaximusDM  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh snap.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I definitely concur with Master #2 krimsunmunkeys. Alternate strumming all the time really does help you to be more rhythmically accurate. Like when I alternate strum...I always hold the strum bar up or down after each strum and never let it go back to the middle unless I'm playing long held notes. It really helps you to be more precise. And also, you have to pay attention to whether you're better starting some passages strumming down or strumming up. Sometimes you may discover you're better when you start up in a certain passage, so you've gotta try switching it up. Although, in the case of BATM, you gotta be good at both...cause if you keep alternate strummming, you'll have to start up AND down at certain points of the main riff. Also, if you get good at alternate strumming, you can avoid doing pulloffs and stuff on solos of songs like Crossroads, Iron Man, etc. Lastly, with alternate strumming you've gotta keep your right hand loose, if you tighten up you'll screw up the rhythm on batm and you're screwed....um...ok i'm babbling again. (Wedding Crashers) "MA!!!! THE MEATLOAF!!!!"

"The resistance that you fight physically in the gym and the resistance that you fight in life can only build a strong character." - Arnold
kriller  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i only down strum and son't hopo
but i only got 66% so dont do that if u want highscore
JCirri  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried to learn to always alternate strum and it does have a more easy feel to it, but I'm so used to strumming upwards that I'll tend to end a pattern by strumming up even if it should end on down resulting in a extra strum.

For now I still mostly rely on strumming upwards unless something is too fast and I'm forced to alternate where I'll spend time learning it. In the case of BatM I do alternate strum the faster parts in a way that feels natural to me (usually strumming upwards on the beat).

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am so glad I decided to start alternate strumming on Easy.

Bark at the Zoo
Virux  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 2:10 am    Post subject: Strummmmmmin Reply with quote

I find that strumming up and down is a lot easier. First of all its easy on your wrist and allows you to complete the rest of the song with less effort.

I used to have problems strumming up and down for this song and I found out the reason why. I would NOT take hold of the strum bar very tightly and would continue to go up and down very lightly with my pointer and thumb finger. This caused me to miss tons of notes. Eventually I learned that you have to be TOUGH with the strum bar. Get down the pattern and GRIP that mother hard. When you go up and down BE A MAN!! Move it HARD up and down and you will hit all the notes on the spot if you've got the pattern down. After doing that Im ranked in the 20's for BATM.

Well thats my strategy and advice. Just give it a try!!!
Shorneh  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've started to strum up and down, and it's kind of helping me along. I went from 50% to 81-83% on Hard. I'm just still having a lot of trouble with the starting riff, and then the fast GGG-B-GGG-R-GGG-Y-GGG-B..I don't like it. =(
silentlassassin  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only.. only only play constatly strumming down.. I alter in one part in texas flood and in heart full of black.. I never alter in most songs..
IN bark at the moon.. It's all down.. and I got five star .. so I'm happy..

And... at this point in my .. I guess.. status.. It would be very hard to learn alt over completely down
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Guitar/Bass All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: