ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Guitar hero Dropout

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    ScoreHero Forum Index -> General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lunetico  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:38 pm    Post subject: Guitar hero Dropout Reply with quote

When I read this I just thought it was the stupidest thing EVER.

Quote:
I realize this pours gas on the bad parenting flames of yesterday, but holy crow, I can't not show you this story. Yesterday reader tooji tipped me off to the story of Blake Peebles, a 16-year-old in Raleigh, N.C., whose parents have let him drop out of school so that he can focus on a professional gaming career via Guitar Hero.

Blake convinced his folks (that is, "We couldn't take the complaining anymore," said his mom) to let him drop out last September. They hired in-home tutors to continue his education there, at least, but there's no doubt priority number one is Guitar Hero. There's a vaguely defined goal of Blake playing it professionally, either through Major League Gaming or by winning prizes in a national and international competitions. But so far he's only made about $1,000, most of that value realized in meals and other freebies won at local competitions. The other pro gamer the reporter contacted for this story said he's cashed in about $25,000 in his entire career.

The description of Blake's room, his interests (or lack thereof) , and his folks' decision to let him do this just ... well, they don't make anyone look good. It would be one thing if the guy was a bona fide music or athletic prodigy. However quixotic a career in either field might be for the majority who pursue it, at least there's a long history of it paying off if you are that good enough. But Blake's never touched a real guitar (cue up the get-a-life bait). He didn't seem interested in much of anything in high school (a Christian academy where his parents had enrolled him) and wheedled his way out of going by complaining that it was a waste of time. (That line should sound very familiar to my folks. If only playing Master of the Lamps on the Commodore 64 could have won me some free Chik-Fil-A. I might have had better luck.)

SkaterGamer  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh. what a waster.

Although I wished I didn't have to work so i could just get better at GH. But obviously id rather earn a weekly wage and make a career out of it and one day have a family and kids which this kid most probably will not ever do.
50 Songs Gold Starred [X]
FC GH:Aerosmith [ ]

Check out my GH vids on Utube
http://www.youtube.com/user/Kingpin0072001uk
Me breaking my arm is also on there.
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Skatergamer0209
bdMoron  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Guitar hero Dropout Reply with quote

This has already been discussed and addressed by Blake himself on scorehero.

I know Blake from Get-togethers and I know he is a great kid. I really think its pretty arrogant of you guys to talk so low of him. He is doing what makes him happy. He has a TUTOR! He is still learning what he needs to learn. I think its funny that you call this guy dumb for doing what he wants to do when you posted this.
lunetico wrote:
whose parents have let him drop out of school so that he can focus on a professional gaming career via Guitar Hero.

lunetico wrote:

They hired in-home tutors to continue his education there

To drop out of school means to quit school correct? Yet he is still going? Looks like someone should have stayed in school instead of attempting to flame someone about there personal choices.
100 Expert Drum FCs [92]
200 Guitar FCs [176]
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: VOD T3ABG1N
discgolferpro  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not this thread again...

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger XBL Gamertag: DiscGolferPro
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    ScoreHero Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: