ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Drumming help

View previous topic :: View next topic  
torrentriver  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 3:30 pm    Post subject: Drumming help Reply with quote

for all the drummers on this web site who are really good at double bass and other stuff like that, is there any advice that you can give to get over the lag of the left pedal, because even with tons of practice, i cannot seem to get over it. also is there any drumming websites that give help, sort of like ultimateguitar.com, but towards drummers instead? i cant find any, but that is probably because i dont have awesome googling skills like alot of you people seem to.

Oh no she di' in't
aloneinthedark  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Start with slow 8th note rolls. Use a metronome and increase the speed by 1 or 2 bpm every couple days. Getting up to speed takes tons and tons of practice, it won't come in a couple weeks. Also, what kind of pedal are you using? If it's a really cheap double pedal, it also may be hindering your progress.
randomhero243  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aloneinthedark wrote:
Start with slow 8th note rolls. Use a metronome and increase the speed by 1 or 2 bpm every couple days. Getting up to speed takes tons and tons of practice, it won't come in a couple weeks. Also, what kind of pedal are you using? If it's a really cheap double pedal, it also may be hindering your progress.

i second all of that and also.

practice both heel up playing. and heel down, it will help strength all of your leg muscles for better speed and control.

i also played left footed someitmes. like i would just play beats but take my right foot out of the equation and use my left foot on the left pedal the whole time.

----------------
Now playing: Coheed And Cambria - Welcome Home
via FoxyTunes
turbo  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Practice wherever you can. You don't have to practice double bass on a drum set :P I did it a lot at school just while doing work, just to build up the muscles.

Also, getting in plane crashes won't tend to help you much.
torrentriver  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have a pdp pedal, it was only $100 dollars so i suppose that could be a problem. i sit in school all day, and i listen to music, since i have the easiest schedule ever. i sit there and move my feet all day, im constantly doing double bass (heel up in school) and it sounds fine and all there. but when i get to the real thing, there is that lag from the left pedal, throwing me off entirely. i do practice heel down too, but i cant do too much like that, at a high speed, because, i eventually have to curl my toes(?) to go any faster, thats probably kinda wierd.

i hope travis is alright, im sure plane crashes arent fun...

Oh no she di' in't
aloneinthedark  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

torrentriver wrote:
i have a pdp pedal, it was only $100 dollars so i suppose that could be a problem. i sit in school all day, and i listen to music, since i have the easiest schedule ever. i sit there and move my feet all day, im constantly doing double bass (heel up in school) and it sounds fine and all there. but when i get to the real thing, there is that lag from the left pedal, throwing me off entirely. i do practice heel down too, but i cant do too much like that, at a high speed, because, i eventually have to curl my toes(?) to go any faster, thats probably kinda wierd.

i hope travis is alright, im sure plane crashes arent fun...
Have you tried moving the left beater closer to the drum head? Double pedals always lag on the slave pedal (aka the left one), and pros always do this with their double pedal.
torrentriver  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if i move it closer to the head, the pedal isnt at the same height as the other one, and as a result it hits the plate, and ive tried every way possible (that i can think of) to move it closer, but it just wont work right...

Oh no she di' in't
randomhero243  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

are the strings at the same tension??

maybe thats throwing off your pedals. check to make sure both are completely identical
aloneinthedark  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

torrentriver wrote:
if i move it closer to the head, the pedal isnt at the same height as the other one, and as a result it hits the plate, and ive tried every way possible (that i can think of) to move it closer, but it just wont work right...
You gotta compensate for the lag in the slave pedal somehow. Try moving the right beater further away then.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: