ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Everett boy gets attention of Guinness with Guitar Hero Skil
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Misc GH Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bendover  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:38 am    Post subject: Everett boy gets attention of Guinness with Guitar Hero Skil Reply with quote

http://www.heraldnet.com/article/20090914/NEWS01/709149955&news01ad=1#Everett.boy.gets.attention.of.Guinness.with.Guitar.Hero.skills

Quote:
EVERETT — Lots of kids long for a special talent.

Dylan Phifer found his sitting in a brown leather chair in his living room.

The 12-year-old Everett boy's superpower is playing the popular video game Guitar Hero.

He's not just better than his friends and better than most of the much older players at the local game store.

He's one of the best in the world.

Right now a videotape and witness statements of his as-yet-unverified world-record performance are zipping toward Guinness World Records in England.

Dylan blasted out an astronomical 1,019,682 points by playing “Mercyful Fate” by Metallica at an Everett Game Crazy store over Labor Day weekend. The standing record for that song is 1,009,000.

“This kid is absolutely insane to say the least,” said Drew McGillivray, the manager of Game Crazy in Everett. “I‘ve never seen anyone perform like that.”

By insane, McGillivray means scary good. McGillivray has played Guitar Hero for several years and watched many others. No one he's seen is Dylan's equal.

If you haven't heard of Guitar Hero, just ask anyone under the age of 30. The Guitar Hero's rapidly expanding franchise allows anyone to play rock hits on a controller shaped like a guitar or other instruments.

Players rack up points by matching musical notes to colored fret buttons as they zoom across the screen. The game mimics some elements of playing a real guitar, including fast-fingering hammer-ons and pull-offs. The guitar includes a whammy bar to alter the pitch of notes.

Dylan prefers to play sitting down. His fingers fly over the frets and he regularly hits every note in a song that might have 3,000 notes.

“When I finally got to expert, I thought I might actually be good at this game,” Dylan said.

Being a master at Guitar Hero doesn't necessarily make you the next Tim Reynolds. Dylan tried taking guitar lessons but didn't care for it.

Before you knock Dylan's talent, realize that it takes incredible eye-hand coordination, rhythm and even some muscle strength to excel at Guitar Hero.

“It takes a lot of muscle endurance to move fingers fast and accurately enough to hit notes at the right time,” McGillivray said.

It also doesn't hurt to have focus and near-photographic recall. Dylan has a special knack for remembering numbers, dates and the like and that might give him an edge remembering the long strings of notes flying at him during game play.

It's taken a lot of practice time and focus for Dylan to develop his talent. His dad, Jim, bought him his first Guitar Hero game two years ago. For months, he's spent hours working his way through every version of Guitar Hero at the game store: That's a total of about 500 songs.

Even when he's not playing, his hand sometimes taps out rhythms.

The game has given Dylan a musical education in rock greats. The band names Cheap Trick and Rush slip off his tongue like that of a 45-year-old. His favorite song to play is Tom Petty's “American Girl.”

Dylan is an honor roll student and a good kid, said his mom, Sallie Phifer. For those reasons, she doesn't worry about him spending so much time playing a video game. Plus, this is one thing in his life he can do better than just about any other kid. When you're not the star athlete, that matters.

His world-record breaking performance appeared almost routine for Dylan, his mom said.

“Sometimes he would be like this,” said his mom, making her eyes wander around the room while strumming an imaginary guitar. “I swear it was not like the Olympics.”

Dylan insists he isn't the best in the world. He's just the one of the few people who bothered to go through the bothersome Guinness process, which includes videotape, witness statements and oodles of paperwork.

However, his game console tracks top scores online. Again and again, he's listed at the top or near the top of every song he tries.

And he has no plans of stopping anytime soon.

“When you're good, why stop there?”

I personally think it's great that guitar hero is getting in the news more often with things like this, I also like how he admits that he probably isn't the best but he's just willing to go through the process of "officializing" a world record, seems pretty mature for his age.

Skype wrote:
[4:09:44 PM] Jared Brock: War Ensemble is easy as hell [on drums]
TehBanStick  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He would only be #65 on here.
But still, more GH in Guinness, yay!
Raikri999  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something seems really odd here. Not about the thread, the kid, just the scores. One, 1,009,000 seems HIGHLY suspicious for a standing score. I mean, getting 000 on a song is a very odd thing, and even though I haven't seen anything about the standings this looks really extremely odd to me. I'm keeping a large eye on this one.

Edit: TehBanStick beat me to the punch. I'm still curious how he got 1,009,000 as a standing score.

Last edited by Raikri999 on Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:53 am; edited 1 time in total
CCARaven4  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah this is a great accomplishment for anybody, much less a 12 yr old kid. I've been following his videos on YT for some time, and he's really good, has some really solid FCs.

Here's his YT account

Georgia Tech Class of 2014!
Macaron11  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheSnigger? HOLY LOL

Good job. Now quit removing videos and accidentally farting on camera XD
Bendover  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Macaron11 wrote:
TheSnigger? HOLY LOL

This, I know I've heard his username somewhere, I just don't know where >.<

Skype wrote:
[4:09:44 PM] Jared Brock: War Ensemble is easy as hell [on drums]
OnionPowder  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dylan did it! He told me he was gonna go for it, but I didn't know he was gonna actually get it. Awesome!

Last.FM|Facebook

yksi-kaksi-kolme has 699 love making sessions left.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: She Wants Reven PSN Name: OnionPowder
Parama  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need to go find a Guinness World Records event and get a 1025k+ score on the song

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

His score wasn't exactly 1,009,000 guys. That score was Dannys score. His score was

Dylan wrote:
Snigger says:
1,019,somethingsomethingsomething

And he got a minus 8

Last.FM|Facebook

yksi-kaksi-kolme has 699 love making sessions left.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: She Wants Reven PSN Name: OnionPowder
UndeadFil13QC  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a side note, what the hell happened to James? He PM'd me to ask me for the path because he was going for the world record, and he would've kept it for years...

The image of Dylan's parents saying he's the best in the world after seeing him hit some solo in Mercyful Fate makes me laugh so hard.

ULTIMATE GOAL: FC Im The One on GH: Van Halen Expert Guitar
Solo 2A FC Count: 39 (Best runs: many -1s, three outro chokes and two 100% overstrums!)

Side goals: GH Expert Vocals Full Series FC [4/8] | Rock Band Expert Bass Full Series FC [8/9] | COVID Vaccine & Booster 100% FC [4/4]

47|64|30|70|41|86|49|48|85|46|93|42 (10|65|10)
Full Series Total: 701/702 (786/787)
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Wii Friend Code: 3977978993176180
machchunk  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dylan is disgracing my great state

View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger XBL Gamertag: machchunk
Xtresso  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bendover wrote:
Macaron11 wrote:
TheSnigger? HOLY LOL

This, I know I've heard his username somewhere, I just don't know where >.<

IIRC he was a huge asshat to me at some point. He most likely forgot it but out of all the youtube assholes I do remember that username. I'm guessing he isn't usually a jerk but that I probably provoked him somehow... which i tend to do for no reason sometimes.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:19 am    Post subject: Re: Everett boy gets attention of Guinness with Guitar Hero Reply with quote

Bendover wrote:
seems pretty mature for his age.

heres his comment on jlc's public bathroom vid lol "I ALMOST FCed my Toilet. I choked on the piss, got a SMALL SMALL bit on there. Choke. Oh well."
Good for him for getting the record, more people on SH other than him, danny and chris should try breaking these records
GP69  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

machchunk wrote:
Dylan is disgracing my great state

I am Birdman5504, I talked to him and it was a misunderstanding, he meant that I don't deserve all those chokes I had on Bat Country
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message XBL Gamertag: Agt Falcon26
SpoonPerson245  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Everett boy gets attention of Guinness with Guitar Hero Reply with quote

Quote:

If you haven't heard of Guitar Hero, just ask anyone under the age of 30.

-_-

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Misc GH Game Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: