ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Batman sues Batman

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    ScoreHero Forum Index -> General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
christiano27  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:20 am    Post subject: Batman sues Batman Reply with quote

Batman's Latest Archenemy: Batman

Wed Nov 12, 10:41 am ET E! Online – Batman's Latest Archenemy: Batman(E! Online) Los Angeles (E! Online)

It may be more the provenance of Superman, but this time it's Batman who's entered Bizarro World.

Following the Joker, the Riddler, the Penguin and Two-Face in the Caped Crusader's pantheon of sworn nemeses, Batman is now set to face off against none other than...uh, Batman.

The mayor of Batman, a small oil-producing town in Turkey, has filed suit against The Dark Knight director Christopher Nolan and Warner Bros., the studio behind the record-shattering blockbuster, looking for a cut in the film's royalties in exchange for using the city's name without permission.

Which begs the question of where hizzoner has been the past 70 years.

"There is only one Batman in the world," Mayor Huseyin Kalkan said, per Variety. "The American producers used the name of our city without informing us."

In addition to the name share, Kalkan claims the emotional distress that apparently comes from having one of the most indelible superheroes share a moniker with your town has led to several unsolved murders and a high suicide rate.

A WB rep, meanwhile, says the studio has seen reports of the legal action in the media but have yet to receive any court papers.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/eonline/20081112/en_movies_eo/68391

What!?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, it took me a few minutes to actually understand that but wow. Why must people sue for supid shit like this just to try and get some money.

Honestly? Using the towns name without permission? IT'S BATMAN! FUCKING BAT MAN! How hard is that to come up with?

Jesus, some people.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: ARobbSH
Slax  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmm.
He has little bat ears on his mask.
He wears almost all black and grey.
His movements are swift and agile.

Bats have little bat ears on the top of their head.
Bats are black, brown, and grey.
Bats' movements are swift and agile.

Gee. They must've stole the town's name. No way they could've came up with the name on their own.

Unless they got the inspiration from the town name and then designed a character around that. But still.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

when i read this, i felt the following.

people can really be stupid sometimes

a funny video of me choking on Monkey Wrench will go here once i get my GH2 log
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger XBL Gamertag: Shotgunmerc
iimeanyii  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This lawsuit doesn't make any sense to me. If someone was going to be sued shouldn't it be marvel (I think they're the ones that made it) comics, since that is what the movie was based on.

Also wtf kind of name for a town is batman?
thebmw  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:12 am    Post subject: Re: Batman sues Batman Reply with quote

christiano27 wrote:
In addition to the name share, Kalkan claims the emotional distress that apparently comes from having one of the most indelible superheroes share a moniker with your town has led to several unsolved murders and a high suicide rate.

Not only are they trying to get some extra money off of this, but they also blame Batman for crime in their cities? Are you serious?! I don't believe this one bit. No, seriously, I don't think someone is dumb enough to try to pull this shit off. I mean... seriously? I... I'm truly dumbfounded.

Hell, odds are the town is named after Batman. Who the hell names their town Batman anyway? It doesn't even make sense to me. Maybe I'll do some research (most likely Wikipedia...) and figure when each of these "Batman"s have been made. I'm going to bet five internets that Batman the superhero came before Batman the town. I'll be back...

Edit:

Wikipedia wrote:
Batman (originally referred to as the Bat-Man and still referred to at times as the Batman) is a fictional character, a comic book superhero co-created by artist Bob Kane and writer Bill Finger (although only Kane receives official credit), appearing in publications by DC Comics. The character first appeared in Detective Comics #27 (May 1939).

Can't find the town yet, but I found that. That's pretty early, and I wouldn't be surprised if that town was younger than that. This may sound unrealistic, but can anyone from Batman share when the town was created? I'd appreciate it.

Edit 2:

BAM! I can't tell when the town was established, but according to Wikipedia, it only turned into a town in 1955. It was a village beforehand though, so who knows when it was truly established. In any case, it doesn't matter anyway, since, well, who would even know there was a village named Batman in Turkey back in 1939? It's obvious that Batman wasn't created to reference the village/town of Batman, so as far as I'm concerned, this whole thing is just fishy. I'm done, I'm not wasting more time with this...

Last edited by thebmw on Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:26 am; edited 1 time in total
christiano27  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the town:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batman,_Turkey

'Batman Province is an important oil producing area, and Batman has Turkey's oldest refinery, established in 1955.'

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is already a topic on this.

http://www.last.fm/user/shad0wz69
Follow Me @dogtownzboy1

Haven't been on ScoreHero in 3 years. 4chan ruined my life.
thebmw  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dogtownzboy1 wrote:

Care to link to it? I search the first three pages here in General Chat, and since this story was released today, it couldn't even be farther back than page two. Unless, of course, you're making the thread, which is even more unnecessary, although I have no idea where that thought came from.
Fatsally93  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dogtownzboy1 wrote:

There was a topic on this. I got deleted this morning. It was entitled "Your Heads Are Going to Explode".

Like I said before, lolwut?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ARobb wrote:
FUCKING

You shouldn't use that word; the people from the village in Austria might kick up a stink.

Short version: idiots - nobody had heard of you before you decided to try and make some money off a movie and nobody will afterwards.

My Crapchievements Thread GOAL: The Log [Beast And The Harlot 4.7*]
"Our Father, who art in Heaven... please, stay there." - Saint Etienne, New Thing
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Kinitawowi64
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    ScoreHero Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: