ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Effect of LEFTY FLIP on Drums?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Drums
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xgoodxdayx  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 8:56 pm    Post subject: Effect of LEFTY FLIP on Drums? Reply with quote

Just yesterday I got my drum cord and fixed my drums, so i thought id finally learn to play them. I hopped on to expert and played through the first few tiers, then decided to put on the autokick cheat and try out BYOB just for fun. I had seen the FC video for it from some youtube guy, so it seemed pretty hard. When I finally got in to play it, I realized something was wrong with my chart, infact ALL drum charts. I made a wild guess that lefty flip did something to drum tracks, since I play guitar lefty flip, and sure enough it was ON in options. Once I turned it off, the tracks now matched up to those on youtube perfectly...

So what exactly DOES lefty flip do? from my BYOB experience it looks like when you have lefty flip ON, any time you would go to hit the yellow cymbal it instead charts it as orange, and instead of the red pad it will give you the green pad. Does it simply "lefty flip" the notes around the blue pad, and keep the blue notes the same? what is the point of this, I dont seem to understand... Is it not kind of like getting to play twice as many songs with all these new charts (albeit without that big a difference)?

Edit: After thinking about it a sec i realized that this is exactly like lefty flip on guitar works, except with guitar you can flip your guitar over to still match the colors up right, but you cant flip the kit over so it changes the colors for you instead. But I still wonder about the fact that you essentially ARE playing a bit of a different track, and since anybody can play lefty flip would it not be like adding a few more charts to the game?
HoorayItsMike  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I first played RB1 I had this same question, but it makes perfect sense. If you are right handed, then let's have a roll that goes

Go play that on the drums right now. It should feel fairly natural to you. If we put this same roll on lefty flip it would be

Now go try and play that one. Your left hand is the one that is hitting the red pad and it feels VERY awkward. However, for a left-handed person this is the roll that would feel more comfortable.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I am left handed I dont really experience an "armed-ness" so to speak, as I dont really seem to feel a natural prefrence for which arm should go where (i have never played drums in real life), and which arm should do more or less work... I think I will stick to learning drums normally because playing lefty guitar has been an endless annoyance for everybody when I play with friends.
HoorayItsMike  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I suppose it's just personal preference then. If you're more ambidextrous than anything else, neither one should have a preference more than another.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I play guitar left handed, when I play drums in career, it automatically assumes left-handedness, and I play fine that way.

In quickplay, it automatically assumes right-handedness, and I play that way fine as well.

It basically reverses the entire chart.

You have died of dysentery. Put in your sig if lemons.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message MSN Messenger Wii Friend Code: 446831583882
HoorayItsMike  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess a little better way of explaining is that (in general) right-handed people naturally start playing rolls with their right and left-handed people start rolls with their left hand. Rolls usually end with whatever hand you started with, and if you had a roll on righty flip, then ending with your left hand would be quite difficult unless you were to switch it to lefty flip.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:27 am    Post subject: Re: Effect of LEFTY FLIP on Drums? Reply with quote

xgoodxdayx wrote:
from my BYOB experience it looks like when you have lefty flip ON, any time you would go to hit the yellow cymbal it instead charts it as orange, and instead of the red pad it will give you the green pad. Does it simply "lefty flip" the notes around the blue pad, and keep the blue notes the same? what is the point of this, I dont seem to understand... Is it not kind of like getting to play twice as many songs with all these new charts (albeit without that big a difference)

well technically, the drums are symmetrical nonetheless, so does it make a huge difference?
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Wii Friend Code: 6027399410921283
NovaXD  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: Effect of LEFTY FLIP on Drums? Reply with quote

ddrsensation wrote:
xgoodxdayx wrote:
from my BYOB experience it looks like when you have lefty flip ON, any time you would go to hit the yellow cymbal it instead charts it as orange, and instead of the red pad it will give you the green pad. Does it simply "lefty flip" the notes around the blue pad, and keep the blue notes the same? what is the point of this, I dont seem to understand... Is it not kind of like getting to play twice as many songs with all these new charts (albeit without that big a difference)

well technically, the drums are symmetrical nonetheless, so does it make a huge difference?

No, if you are a lefty, it doesn't make a difference at all. If you play the drums right-handed normally however, it makes a huge difference. In a drum kit (real and video game ones), certain drums are placed in certain places so that certain hands can hit them. For instance, for a right-handed person, a snare drum (or a red pad in RB/WT ) is placed to the left, because the drummer normally hits it with their left hand.

If you are a lefty however, you would normally hit the snare with your right hand, and thus the snare is placed to the right, or on the green pad.

I'm a left-handed guitarist, but I'm right-handed for most other things, including drums. The thing about dexterity and music is that both hands are doing something and, thusly, both hands will eventually get pretty co-ordinated at their specific tasks. The main reason I'm a left-handed guitarist is because my left wrists has EXTREMELY terrible flexibility, to the point where I can't properly position my fingers on the neck of the controller. That obviously doesn't happen with drums, so I can try either one there, and happen to be right-handed when I'm drumming.

EDIT: Woops, I was thinking about the snare drum, not the hi-hat. Fixed now.

Last edited by NovaXD on Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:59 am; edited 2 times in total
GRYBOPandRYBOGP  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So if I am faster on my right hand than my left, should I play lefty. I mean, on Medium you use your right hand the most, so I would think not, but we play on the left side of the drums. I tried lefty once but it was awkward.
The way you spelled Metallica reminds me of the way Lynyrd Skynyrd was spelled on the cover of GH:M originally.. >_>
ohh noes! typing error, someone call the police!!
Me - "Hello, 911. I'm calling on the behalf of Lynyrd Skynyrd. Neversoft has failed to spell the name correctly on the game, Guitar Hero: Metallica. This will effect their image and possibly reduce sales for the band. I suggest suing the company."
Police - "Who the fuck do you think you are? WMG? Get off our line."
HoorayItsMike  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GRYBOPandRYBOGP wrote:
So if I am faster on my right hand than my left, should I play lefty. I mean, on Medium you use your right hand the most, so I would think not, but we play on the left side of the drums. I tried lefty once but it was awkward.

No, Nova said left instead of right one time in his post I think. If you are stronger and faster with your right then you want to play righty. This way you are hitting the hi-hat with your right hand and starting and ending drum rolls with your right hand as well.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GRYBOPandRYBOGP wrote:

Go play a song like damnit on normal (right) and then on lefty flip, using which ever hand to play the spam part. If you can't feel the difference then, well, you must be quite ambidextrous.
GRYBOPandRYBOGP  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I actually suck at rolls on my left hand.
The way you spelled Metallica reminds me of the way Lynyrd Skynyrd was spelled on the cover of GH:M originally.. >_>
ohh noes! typing error, someone call the police!!
Me - "Hello, 911. I'm calling on the behalf of Lynyrd Skynyrd. Neversoft has failed to spell the name correctly on the game, Guitar Hero: Metallica. This will effect their image and possibly reduce sales for the band. I suggest suing the company."
Police - "Who the fuck do you think you are? WMG? Get off our line."
CryofthePlanet  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HoorayItsMike wrote:
However, for a left-handed person this is the roll that would feel more comfortable.

o_O There's REAL lefty drummers?! Dude, I'm like more Lefty than Tony Iommi, and I don't use Lefty Flip drums...And it's NOT ambidextrous, it's mixed-handed. Not doing the same thing with both handings.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
ABee1010  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I play real drums lefty. I am thrilled that that option is available in the video games otherwise I'd be hosed...
ElementOfZero  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm lefty, but play a very weird mix on my kit. (I sometimes have the hi-hat snare on the right) but it doesn't matter to me, since I've been "forced" to adapt to standard kits, I can play either just fine. As for rolls on RB/GH/Real, I'll usually lead or end with a double stroke on my left hand since the vast majority of songs have even numbered fills.

The Choice Is Yours, And Yours Alone. Silver Snakes 4 Life
My Accomplishment Thread! My Youtube, New Videos posted often
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: v Reincarnate v
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Drums All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: