ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Do you need the Ion to be competitive?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Drums
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tordana  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:16 pm    Post subject: Do you need the Ion to be competitive? Reply with quote

Just thinking about this...

I'm up to 4th place on scorehero (all systems) and 12th on XBL... however, I find myself not being able to improve much at all on my scores any more. This is generally not because I feel I can't play sections (although there are certainly some of those, fast bass drum patterns are my downfall), but because I feel like my equipment screws up. I'm using the RB1 drums on my roommate's HDTV (I have no TV) that changes calibration anywhere between 50 and 150ms video lag on any given day. My red pad registers everything, yellow pad occasionally drops fast hits, blue pad registers everything, and green pad either drops fast hits all the time or crosstalks when I hit blue if I add some tape to make it more sensitive. And my bass pedal... I can't even tell what is going on with it. I just know sometimes I miss notes that I can't attribute to the pads, I think it either doesn't register sometimes or registers random hits sometimes.

At any rate, after that long-winded explanation of my set-up, let me get to the question. I know that someguy913ps, the long-dominant drums leader, uses the Ion set. So do most of the other "pro" players. Is it really that much better than the RB/WT sets in terms of registering everything correctly? And if so, how is that fair? Those people with $300 to drop on a controller for a video game have an advantage over those without the money? What do you guys think?
ElementOfZero  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someguy doesnt use the Ion.

he uses a $2k Roland electronic drum kit.

The Choice Is Yours, And Yours Alone. Silver Snakes 4 Life
My Accomplishment Thread! My Youtube, New Videos posted often
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: v Reincarnate v
tordana  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ElementOfZero wrote:
Someguy doesnt use the Ion.

he uses a $2k Roland electronic drum kit.

Didn't know that, but makes my point even stronger. More money to drop = higher score potential?
rkuo  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shrug, it's unfortunate, but having a kit that registers hits properly should never be illegal.

And yes, I think having something like the ION kit is the lowest cost way to play competitively, short of lucking out with a good stock kit. The stock kits seem to just be junk for the most part.
HoorayItsMike  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. Ion kit will not affect your scores all that much. I mean it might, but not enough to really change your scores dramatically.

However, a WT kit will. I bet that If we both FCed every single song, but with me hitting all accents and getting the orange note that is worth more points, I would have over 1 million more points than you. That's not an exaggeration whatsoever. I've noticed runs where I've missed multiple times and still have beaten Effectzz FC score by a decent margin. I bet on average one of my FC runs will beat a RB kit run by 15-20k just because of accents and having orange notes. When SP is used that means that margin increases even more.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought that Orange notes were charted as Blue/Green. I also assumed that using the RB drums would result in the same amount of total notes in the song.

On the OP's thought. The Ion could help with Y/B/G rolls by alternating cymbal and pad which might be easier than just using pads.
The way you spelled Metallica reminds me of the way Lynyrd Skynyrd was spelled on the cover of GH:M originally.. >_>
ohh noes! typing error, someone call the police!!
Me - "Hello, 911. I'm calling on the behalf of Lynyrd Skynyrd. Neversoft has failed to spell the name correctly on the game, Guitar Hero: Metallica. This will effect their image and possibly reduce sales for the band. I suggest suing the company."
Police - "Who the fuck do you think you are? WMG? Get off our line."
hydrapower  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think right now the World Tour drums are an even playing field (at least until people start figuring out how to mod their pedals or whatnot) because if your drums are bad they can be fixed with the tuning software, usually. With the Rock Band drums it's RMA roulette and that's part of why I never sent back my QM set even though I needed to put a sock on the red and couldn't put socks on any other pads because they would crosstalk. Any yellow, blue, or green roll needs to be played very softly for it to register. With some players sending back half a dozen kits I can see why some of them would get fed up and seek a more premium solution. I actually bought a metal Roadie pedal myself because I couldn't stand the stock pedal.

Interestingly though, on World Tour you can hook up your e-kit as a standard feature. So I guess there, it's not exactly even due to the more comfortable nature of your e-kit, but I think it's more even than the discrepancy between Rock Band stock kits, ION kits, and modded e-kits there.

You seem to be at a crossroads where you have to decide how much you like playing plastic drums. If you don't feel like you want to spend more money on them, then you've probably reached your scoring limit. It's an unfortunate reality.

Now Available in e-book format! Book 1 Book 2
Otharia - Science Fiction/Fantasy from some aspiring writers, check it out! Updates weekly!
EffectZ  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HoorayItsMike wrote:
No. Ion kit will not affect your scores all that much. I mean it might, but not enough to really change your scores dramatically.

However, a WT kit will. I bet that If we both FCed every single song, but with me hitting all accents and getting the orange note that is worth more points, I would have over 1 million more points than you. That's not an exaggeration whatsoever. I've noticed runs where I've missed multiple times and still have beaten Effectzz FC score by a decent margin. I bet on average one of my FC runs will beat a RB kit run by 15-20k just because of accents and having orange notes. When SP is used that means that margin increases even more.

Completely agree. If you want your scores to be up to par then using the GH:WT kit is the way to go. The extra note's you get with the WT kit adds up to at least 10-20k more points on FC runs compared to using and Ion/RB kit.

But if your just looking for a better all around experience then yea the Ion's the way to go.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GRYBOPandRYBOGP wrote:
I thought that Orange notes were charted as Blue/Green. I also assumed that using the RB drums would result in the same amount of total notes in the song.

On the OP's thought. The Ion could help with Y/B/G rolls by alternating cymbal and pad which might be easier than just using pads.

They are, but on the WT kit, the actual orange column itself has a base score if 65 instead of 50 (so +60 points under x4 multiplier per orange note.. +120 under star power per orange note).

Not only that but accented notes grant a score bonus when hit harder as well, and they just plain don't exist on the RB kit charts - probably because when the game was programmed the only RB kits they had to work with were RB1 kits. The RB2 kits' velocity features weren't really official until extremely close to release.

My goals:
Put an X in this box: []
*loves dragons*
stuff i've done, insanely out of date
wambafat  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Mystakin, who is 2nd place on SH on rb2 drums uses a generic RB kit if I'm thinking correctly...
Jared1287  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on 2 things.

1) Are you gonna use it for e-drums?

2) Do you play Rock Band more than GH or vice versa?

EDIT: that's for if you're on the edge about buying it. I'd get it, cause at your skill level, if you're more concerned with rock band, it makes a lot of difference than the crappy RB1 pads.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Drums All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: