ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Drums sensitivity worse than ever

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Drums
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ElementOfZero  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:59 pm    Post subject: Drums sensitivity worse than ever Reply with quote

So, when I first got my set the orange cymbal took considerably harder hits to register notes. I ordered the cable and up'd the sensitivity and everything was fine.

Then, my red part started cross-talking with my yellow cymbal. So, I had to turn down the red's sensitivity to zero to prevent this (the best I can. it still x-talked 1:100 hard hits or so)

Now yesterday my blue started x-talking when I hit the red pad, while the yellow-red cross-talking just got worse than ever. If I hit the yellow just about to any degree it would make red talk, and if I hit red any harder than normal blue would go off. So, I hooked it back up to my computer and zeroed everything back out (all at stock 10) then tried adjusting it. But, it didn't make a single shred of difference. So, I unscrewed a couple of screws out of the red pad side (my torx driver wont reach 2 to take the entire back off ><) and put a folded piece of bubble wrap over the piezo sensor.

Well, it "worked" to some degree. Yellow hits stopped causing red to register, but even on sensitivity 20 red would only pick up between 1/3 - 1/2 my hits. I took out the piece of bubble wrap and set everything like the way I had to originally (orange up a little, red down) and now it's just like playing the waiting game for something to fuck up again.

Does anyone have any suggestions to modify my red pad (such as my bubble wrap) that wont dramatically interfere with it's registering of direct hits?

The Choice Is Yours, And Yours Alone. Silver Snakes 4 Life
My Accomplishment Thread! My Youtube, New Videos posted often
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: v Reincarnate v
HoorayItsMike  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose this would be of the most help to you:

electronvtec wrote:
Not sure if you saw my email up in the thread about the cable but I'll rehash here:

The cable did fix my issue for about 2 hours. After that, my red pad went completely dead. Not wanting to pay shipping and wait 4-6 weeks for a fixed kit, I broke out a philips head screwdriver and a soldering iron and fixed it myself. The red pad is the most common to fail because the wires are pulled pretty tight to get all the way from the controller to the pad. Mine turned out to be the black wire - just the slightest touch and it completely broke off the bottom of the sensor on the pad. I scraped off the white goo protecting the joint, resoldered the connection and my kit works so much better now it's not even funny. It only took 10 minutes to boot.

Now, however, I found that somehow my kick pedal got pulverized and is just a useless hunk of plastic. I'm picking up an aftermarket electronic bass pedal after work so if it functions as expected, I'll post up here.

Good luck!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did he open it with a phillips head? This guy seems iffy.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: v Reincarnate v
HoorayItsMike  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just PM him or reply to him where he posted that at. It was in another thread in the Drums section talking about a similar problem that you have.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The back of the kit has about 15 phillips head screws keeping it together. Think of the whole thing as one big plastic clamshell. Once you get all of the screws out, the bottom just lifts off and reveals the underside of each pad. Each pad has two wires going to it - one wire is soldered to the middle of the sensor and the other wire is soldered to the outer ring of the sensor. In my case, the black wire on the red pad came off after I brushed it with my arm (trust me, I didn't even pull on the thing) and the black wire is what connects to the outer ring on the red pad. I re-soldered that connection, screwed the back of the kit back on with my phillips head screwdriver, and resumed playing.

PS - I am using the GH:WT drum kit, just FYI.
ElementOfZero  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get you guys but the entire point was sarcastic. They're not phillips, they're torx.

electronvtec  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not on the XBOX 360 WT kit, every screw is a phillips head. I say this because I don't have a torx screwdriver in the house

edit - just saw that you also have a 360, maybe they changed some kits during production? I got mine the day it came out so maybe they changed them to make this less easy to do?
A-Dubz  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ElementOfZero wrote:
I get you guys but the entire point was sarcastic. They're not phillips, they're torx.

No, I have the PS2 drum kit and every single screw on the thing is phillips.
My Accomplishments Thread
ElementOfZero  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh, everyone's still ignoring the point. MY SET IS TORX AND MY TORX DRIVER DOESNT FIT DOWN INTO TWO OF THE HOLES. (ha, im not mad, just saying)

So I can solder it yet. I need to stop by a hardware store :\

Is there any other posts on other peoples fixes floating around? I noticed when I put my finger on a side of the piezo, the red pad starts playing some quick ass 64th(?) notes while in the studio. I'm guessing this might be the problem, although from what I can see everything looks soldered correctly.

I just dont want to start risking the integrity of the sensor like my rockband set. That got messed the fuck up.

purplee  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you using a t10? It opened all the holes for me (360 set, all torx holes). You might want to try my fix when you finally get it open too, it worked wonders for me http://www.scorehero.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1234730#1234730
View user's profile Send private message XBL Gamertag: Some_Guy4607 Wii Friend Code: 395252611158
ElementOfZero  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally got the back of my set open last night. The top 2 screws are a larger torx (T20, I believe) and the rest are T15 (Although a T10 driver works to open them)

My red pad's ground must have been loose inside of the foam. It's odd because even without a ground, the snare will play--but it does so with yellow. Must be some kind of back up in the circuit board so it doesn't short out all the electronics.

Anyway, I just resoldered both wires (to be safe) and set the sensitivity to 17 now. It plays pretty well. I just had some REALLLLLLY random misses on Hey Man, Nice Shot that cost me FCs, but oh well, in 1st now. Also, FCed Spiderwebs and Shiver without any problems.

SIDE NOTE: If anyone is having trouble with the batteries popping out or wireless disconnect, I used a rectangle of that black foam from under the start/select/ABXY buttons vertically below the battery compartment piece and haven't had it disconnect again.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Drums All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: