ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Proper way to play?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Drums
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LeakyFaucette  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 5:54 pm    Post subject: Proper way to play? Reply with quote

As of late my right wrist has been getting really sore in the middle of songs, to the point where I just give up. I'm not sure if I'm playing wrong or what.

Also not sure if this is important but my dominant hand is my left hand, so should I try lefty flip?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I play, my arms get sore from holding them up for so long. I had to lower my set a bit and put some pillows behind my back for support. If you think lefty flip will help you, go for it. But you might want to look at how you're playing or holding the drum stick. I really don't think your wrist is supposed to get sore.
TheRaw  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I'm not sure on exact technique for holding your sticks but it may just be that you aren't used to drumming for long periods of time. Your arms may not be used to constant movement of the wrist...
Anyway, I play with my palms at an angle, not parallel to the ground, but not perpendicular either. I have a loose grip but enough so I know I won't drop my sticks.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same problem -- After one day of playing for about 4 hours, I couldn't play without being in pain. That was about a week ago. Now, it starts hurting if I play 3 songs in row. I guess the only solution is to keep playing until your muscles get stronger and more tolerant
GuitarGeek08  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Playing until you get used to it is a good way to go. If you are having trouble hitting things in the songs, you may want to take a look at this guide from the RB side of SH, since I personally believe that many of the same concepts will probably also apply to WT as well as RB.

http://rockband.scorehero.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2164

I Don't Suck at GH
Xpertlefty13 quoting me in his Acc Thread wrote:
Honestly, thank you

This is the first real, well thought-out explanation I've seen
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ABee1010  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I alternate which hand I use on the HH, since that is what is played the fastest and most often. I play Lefty, so I usually play with my left hand on the high hat and my right on the snare. When my left hand gets fatigued, I switch so that I am playing "open-handed" with my right hand on the HH and left on the snare.

I highly reccomend doing something like this. If you do not switch your dominant hand on a regular basis, your dominant hand will progress much faster than your off hand which is certainly undesireable...
TheRaw  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with ABee's method but can suggest another way to keep your high-hat hand from getting tired.

Normally you would stick it the first way but you could switch it up to the second:

R R LR R R R LR
R L LR R R L LR

Sometimes I just do that if a song is boring or if my right hand is getting tired. It may take some getting used to but it works for me.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies everyone, I'm taking everything into practice, seeing what works and such. Although I have noticed less pain as of late, I think it MAY have been just the whole msucle building thing that was the main problem. Still not sure as to why it hurt so bad but if it stops then that's a good thing I suppose.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Drums All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: