Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Should active euthanasia be legal?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheGreatSombrero  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that if the state has the right to take my life, then I should have the right to make the same decision.

Whether someone else has the right to get involved is a sticky issue, how exactly do you define the boundary between assisted suicide and first degree murder? If you place an add on the internet wanting to be cannibalized, and someone takes you up on it, is that assisted suicide? While I do believe that assisted suicide should be legal in a free country, I don't know where I would draw that line.

All hail Sombronia, a land I didn't make up.
altairian  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

directshot999 wrote:
If they are speaking on their own account (aren't drunk, doing drugs, or anything that would inhibit regular judgment) then yes, they should be able to die. They're going to find a way out of life anyways, and the other options might not be as pretty as a syringe going into their arm.

I think you're misunderstanding the situation a bit. Assisted suicide isn't for people who "just can't take it anymore". It's for people who are definitely going to die within a short period of time, and generally in an extremely painful or ugly way (read the article linked a few posts up for an example of that). Suicidal people need help, and I don't mean help with committing the act :P

Feel free to add me on XBL - GT: altairian
Currently working on RB2 guitar, and occasional vox
Archang3L  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as the person is able to make that decision, or they've written it in their will before falling ill or being injured, I think that forcing someone to keep on existing in a life of pain is a horrible thing to do.

It's their life. It's their decision. Simple as that.

"You're not smart. You're not a scientist. You're not a doctor. You're not even a full time employee. Where did your life go so wrong?"
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Archang3L666
twistedoak  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If a person still has full facilities of their mind or has it written in a legal document (i.e. will), they should be able to have the right to die.

If I have a form of terminal cancer which will absolutely kill me in a very painful way that will cost my family tons of money and put them into debt which they might never recover from, I would rather die.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pyrobob wrote:
The person doesn't want to live any more. Who has the right to tell someone their not allowed to die?

We have waivers for other things in life, why not write out a quick note with both signatures on it or something saying he was given permission?

I wonder how well that would work until they catch a real murder happening with a forced signature.

As for assisted suicide, then idunno. If the person has the capabilities of killing themselves, then they should do it themselves. When it comes to them asking another person to kill them, they should understand the risks. That's a lot to do to a person. Only if you're going to die soon in a horrible death is when somebody should be allowed to assist you in your death. Unless it's that, you should be totally on your own.

Last.FM|Facebook

yksi-kaksi-kolme has 699 love making sessions left.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: She Wants Reven PSN Name: OnionPowder
thegibbonator  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it should be legal given that the circumstances demand it. When people are terminally ill it seems far more cruel to deny them an easier way to end their suffering. I do agree that it should be agreed upon by at least two doctors though; it shouldn't be possible for people to pass off murders as active euthanasia or to get euthanasia when it isn't necessary.

My last.fm profile. My musical taste is obviously superior to everybody else's. Even if it does include black metal, classical and synthpop.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger PSN Name: Tetrinity
sedron  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think as long as the circumstances are unusually painful and there's a general concensus amongst doctors that this may be allowed, it should be legalized. However, it must be handled very, very carefully. I think most precautions have already been dealt with, but if the substance being injected for the suicide is used for no reason other than death, then it must only exist in very limited quantities within hospitals. It would be a bad idea for much of the stuff to be lying around. The doctors allowing the procedure should have their backgrounds as doctors checked very carefully to make sure it isn't possible for murders to be passed off this way. Forced signatures could be a problem, though. It may be better to just have people in these predicaments opt out of life support and such, but I don't know exactly how painful or peaceful that is.
MisterMcLov1n  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It most definitely depends on the circumstances. If someone has absolutely no chance of becoming healthy and are in constant pain (physical), they have the unalienable right to request being put out of their misery. However, if it's someone who's just fallen under tough times should not abuse the system.
Oyoefpoefpoef  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well no, because then how do you differ between assisted suicide and murder? It's just a technical problem, but a big one.
this1neguy  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I'm going to have to (fuck, why did Pandora just start playing "Attack" AGAIN??? I hate 30 Seconds to Mars) - anyway, I'm going to have to go along with general consensus. If circumstances dictate that death is indeed a preferable alternative to the reality in which a person if being forced to exist, then by all means they should be granted the option to end it painlessly.

However, the point where the line blurs is an interesting one. The previous "forced-signatures-legalize-murder" argument is definitely one to worry about. Patients at the point where they would be willing to take their own lives are often so far gone that it doesn't much matter anyway - where is the point where legal documents could clearly say "This person is sick enough that taking their own life is a fair option"? And if that line's not defined well enough, who's to say that someone might not forge a signature and have the person killed - that's murder, no ifs, ands, or buts.

It's a difficult conundrum, but I think that as long as the law specifies clearly enough the point at which assisted suicide is an option, then by all means those terminally ill patients should be able to be granted a dignified death.

I do have some perspective on this as well. My grandfather on my mother's side never took care of himself well - he had diabetes and never treated it, he drank and ate far too much. Almost two years ago he was hospitalized with a variety of symptoms that essentially added up to old age and ill health. After being released from the hospital, he was alright for a few months before relapsing into deep sickness. This time, he never regained health. He was placed in hospice care, which is where I saw him for the last time last October. His life had degenerated to the point where all he was able to do was breathe: he slept, could not eat or use the restroom on his own. The entire weekend I was there he didn't wake up, nor did he so much as talk in his fitful sleep. The day after my mother and I left he died.
For the months my grandfather spent in the hospital, he did little more than what I just described. Was this any sort of life worth living? Did the fact that he held on for as long as he did give any solace to my mother or grandmother?
Silly wrote:
yksi-kaksi-kolme wrote:
I hope the April Fool's joke is expertwin becoming a mod

Reports coming in that over five hundred thousand players of the Guitar Hero and Rock Band games have simultaneously committed seppuku
brad16752  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My personal opinion..........

Assisted suicide should be legal in all cases as long as both people are willing and the person who is asking, is of sound mind. (It is debatable depending on the case)

I think it would be much less painful to fall asleep and have someone kill you while you slept then to jump off a building, or hang yourself.
Klaww  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes.
I mean, if i ask my friend to kill me, i sure dont want him to go to jail for something i wanted.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deak2112 wrote:
Romanczuk wrote:
Earlier this month it became legal where I am.
It's called the "Death with Dignity Law".
Basically, if you're terminally ill (no chance of making it) and you're just sitting around suffering, you can appeal to the doctors with a relative to back you up and if you get the recommendation from at least two out of three Doctors then you can be prescribed a lethal dose of medication to be put out of your misery.
Seems fair since the doctors and relatives requirement is there to make sure only people who really need it get it.

That's the only situation that it should be. Otherwise, I thought of it like this: Murder is illegal, if you help to murder it's also illegal, suicide is technically illegal, therefore assisting should be illegal. And who's to call the situation as to whether or not it is justified. I don't think the pro's quite outweigh the cons.

i agree with Romanczuk.

And in reply to Deak i'm pretty sure suicide is legal (in the UK at least)
cdylan13  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont think it should be legal. Its just not right.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: cdylanSH
Erodyne  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To end the suffering if you are going to die of a horrible disease is questionable. I would want to say my last goodbyes, then die without being put through enormous amounts of pain that is incurable. Then I would want to be put down.

Suicide in the term that life isn't going fine and dandy and you want to "end your suffering" should never be made legal. It puts so many people through a bunch of shit processing legal forms and stuff like that, and you are hurting the emotions of everyone that knew/knows you. It's just immoral.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Wii Friend Code: 416765768730
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: