ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Quick chord changes...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Guitar/Bass
View previous topic :: View next topic  
emptyset  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 3:39 am    Post subject: Quick chord changes... Reply with quote

For most of the songs on this game, practicing and practicing helps my fingers keep up with the rhythms for 95% of the riffs on this game. But quick chord changes still are a real pain for me. I'm talking about songs like Cheat on the Church (the riffs at the end), Caveman Rejoice (the GY, GY, RB-GY-RB, RB-RB-GY-RB, YO riff), Sail Your Ship By (the BO-YB-RB-RB-RB riff), and a few of the GR2R bridges.

For these riffs, how do you guys switch quickly and effectively? Do you use the same fingers (like 1 and 3 for Caveman Rejoice) and slide them back and forth, or do you alternate between 1/3 and 2/4 when you are changing chords? I can't slide effectively so I usually alternate, but one of my fingers ends up staying down too long and I always screw up the riff. Same goes for CotC. The interesting thing is that if I use my frethand backwards (pinky through index finger on GRYBO), I can play the riffs better and more consistently but then I am forced to flip my hand back for the other parts and always lose the 4x. Frustrating to say the least.

Any thoughts?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just keep practicing.. I wasn't very good at the quick 1-3 to 2-4 finger chords for awhile.. now they're easy. I think it's better to use 4 fingers instead of moving your hand for the very quick chord changes in those more difficult songs - CotC, BatM, etc. Once you get your ring & pinky fingers strengthened, those fast riffs will be easier without having to flip your hand around.
ShaylaRCakes  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sometimes i kinda slide to the next fret, if you will, as if i was playing a real guitar. that started out a little tricky though because it's easy to ruin a combo that way.

or sometimes i will use a different fingering than I used on the previous chord.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For caveman rejoice I slide my hand and play everything except the last YO chord with fingers 1 and 3 and I hardly ever miss it anymore. But for other songs it varies depending what feels comfortable based on the notes before and after the chord changes.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That seems to be working for me, JCirri, over the last five or so tries in a row, it's the method I've been having the most (relative) amount of success with that song. I still miss it six or seven times though. Additionally, it's strange because I never had a problem with the quick GY-RB-YO GY-GR-GY run in No One Knows but I can't get it for the life of me when the similar riff pops up in CotC.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm the opposite for some reason.. I can always hit that in CotC, but rarely in NOK after all the R RB, R RB, things.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

for those two songs, i usually play the GY chord with fingers 1 and 3 then the other two with fingers 2 and 4.
JHetfield0816  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I mean it really depends on the song...for almost every song I like to use fingers 1-3 and 2-4 when changing chords, even on Caveman Rejoice...but that might be easier for me since I'm accustomed to using fingers 2-4 for chords on violin, I'm not sure what guitarists think...but anyway...for that one Sail Your Ship By part...yes that part is a pain in the ass, and for that particular part, I actually started with fingers 1 and 3 on O and Y, and then slid down with 1 and 3 to R-B I think it was...hope that at least helps you on that song. If you watch your fingers while you play that part and use that fingering, hopefully you'll get it

"The resistance that you fight physically in the gym and the resistance that you fight in life can only build a strong character." - Arnold
trofl  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On Cavemen Rejoice, I've found it easiest to play it as 1-2, 1-3, 1-2. I've gotten really used to playing with my fingers on RYBO and using my index finger to do most of the G and R work. Helped me with CotC playing the GY, RB, YO chords too... 1-2, 1-3, 2-4.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: wxtrofl
Kain42  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

for something like a GY then a RB and a YO i just use my index and ring fingers and i just slide em down. it used to be hard for me, but i got used to it.

now i'm practicing on hammer on's. i just can't do it...i strum too much.
HellAshes  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no clue how I get them. One day on Cheat on the Church, I just stopped missing them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger XBL Gamertag: HellAshes PSN Name: HellAshes
rabies  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

..real guitarist here...

I use 1-3 for all of them...including YO chords. For the real songs, these are all powerchords..and real guitarists would keep their fingers still and just slide up the neck....so this is what comes natural to me and this is what I do. I don't recall any of these parts being particularly difficult.

..I've got years of practice doing it this way (on real guitar), so it may not be the easiest thing for a non-guitarist.
popemobile  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i slide my hand for pretty much every chord
even on medium sometimes Mr. Green
Fly1ngV  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, for the ones on COTC, i do 1-3 on the g-y chord, then switch to 2-4 on the r-b chord then slide to get to the y-o chord at the end of it. Cacemen rejoice i just slide. i used to just use 1-3 fingers on all three chords on COTC, but i mised the last one almost all the time, now the way i do it now, i hit it about 85%
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Guitar/Bass All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: