Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
RIAA to stop suing music fans
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TransfuSe  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:31 am    Post subject: RIAA to stop suing music fans Reply with quote

http://blog.wired.com/business/2008/12/riaa-says-it-pl.html

thoughts?
iSlak  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fuck, finally.
Cool. It's illegal to be musically inclined without budget to pay for CD's.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm very sad to see this. I hate being in the minority of people who don't like stealing (I consider taking something that someone is selling without permission stealing, I know some people don't agree).

[Edit] Reread, it's good that they are going after the uploaders, but I don't think they should just ignore people who download.

Last edited by KrakenEater on Sat Dec 20, 2008 1:01 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail PSN Name: KrakenEater
MisterMcLov1n  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's good to see that they're going after the people who are at the heart of the piracy problem: the big uploaders. There's a difference between downloading a few CD's and uploading an entire tour.
Ogris  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm quite surprised that a company finally realized how to sort the problem out, instead of going BAWWW BAN EVERYONE WHO EVER DOWNLOADED ANYTHING ILLEGAL.

Everything P2P is handled by uploaders, if you cut off all the uploaders, there will be no more music left to download for people who pirate it, sorting it out... I'm quite surprised they managed to come up with something this effective.
altairian  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MisterMcLov1n wrote:
It's good to see that they're going after the people who are at the heart of the piracy problem: the big uploaders. There's a difference between downloading a few CD's and uploading an entire tour.

Yes and no. Both activities are illegal. But it's just like the "war on drugs", it's moot to target the drug users if you can take out the drug supplier.

Feel free to add me on XBL - GT: altairian
Currently working on RB2 guitar, and occasional vox
Twang  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope they realize that some albums are out of print and can ONLY be heard by pirating them. Otherwise, it's fine with me that they're fighting piracy.

Well, maybe not FINE with it...I still like to torrent movies, because I don't have anywhere to put them, what with my CDs taking up all the shelf space. I also only download ones that really get my attention. I don't generally watch movies, so when I do download it's something highly notable, or ridiculously obscure (Fight Club and Cannibal Holocaust, respectively). Then I delete it right away after watching it.

Same with old school games. I'm not gonna go out and buy Civilization 2 or Lemmings. You can't even buy NES' and SNES' any more, let alone games for them, so I got me some emulators.

/justifying bad habits

Last edited by Twang on Sat Dec 20, 2008 2:15 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message XBL Gamertag: teamkillin629
DanHetfield  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this is brilliant, such an effective way to cut off people who steal all of their music.
I personally think that it's cruel to the artists who are out there trying to make a few bucks for all of the hard work that they do and not making enough because half of their fans download all of their music.
CURRENT GOALS
1000 Cross Game FCs [270/1000]
24.5M Overall Score on GH3 [24.229/24.5]
Top 100 cross-console on GH3 [149th]
67 on disc GH3 FCs [61/67]
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: DanHetfieldSH
Josseppe95  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still don't like the fact that someone else can watch what you do on the internet...but hey, its better than getting sued. I don't know about this whole piracy thing though, I mean, if you buy a CD, you should be able to do whatever you want with it considering its your property.
xmaartist  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DanHetfield wrote:
I think this is brilliant, such an effective way to cut off people who steal all of their music.
I personally think that it's cruel to the artists who are out there trying to make a few bucks for all of the hard work that they do and not making enough because half of their fans download all of their music.

Yeah, I feel terrible for Lars having to settle with a 5 million dollar house instead of a 10 million dollar house. Pitiful, isn't it?
Music is like candy, you throw out the (w)rappers.
People who rap aren't rappers, they're rap-ists, y'know, like art-ists. Which looks suspiciously like the word "rapist".
aloneinthedark  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KrakenEater wrote:
I'm very sad to see this. I hate being in the minority of people who don't like stealing (I consider taking something that someone is selling without permission stealing, I know some people don't agree).

[Edit] Reread, it's good that they are going after the uploaders, but I don't think they should just ignore people who download.
Why? It's way more effective than the way they've been doing before (massive $$$ lawsuits and bad publicity). If they keep this up, they'll be in good light again.
brandonbb13  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am one of the few people I know that download music off iTunes. I don't know, I just feel weird downloading from sites like Lymewire and such.

My youtube channel, which features On Tour videos, including a Band Hero DS unboxing video!

Subscribe for more videos.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
xXryannn  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DanHetfield wrote:

Actually, most bands make a good part of their money from merch and don't care about people downloading their music. Just look at Trent Reznor and Radiohead. It's the greedy record labels that complain about losing money in album sales.

I've been a longtime supporter of free downloads as a means of spreading your work. If people really like your music, they will buy your merch, or at least spread your name to people who will. As of now I have around 20 different band shirts, but no physical albums, and in terms of money, I have given more to each band than I would have buying their CDs.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: xXryannnnnnnnnn
AppleNick  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The RIAA is a conglomerate of professional bullies. I believe that fair licensing rights should be respected; however, suing a 12 year old girl is ineffective. Running over somebody's life like that is horrible.
lazor  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charge reasonable prices for CDs, then I'll talk about buying them.

How about listening to this advice

Also,

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: