ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Songs that make you strum when there's no audible beat
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Guitar/Bass
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JHetfield0816  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 7:56 am    Post subject: Songs that make you strum when there's no audible beat Reply with quote

Ok...at the end of Take Me Out, I Wanna Be Sedated, and Frankenstein there's those parts where you have to strum a bunch of chords while there's no drum or anything audible to help you have a sense of the beat. For some reason on Frankenstein I was able to get them..and on I Wanna Be Sedated I got lucky, but the end of Take Me Out is driving me nuts. Does anyone have any suggestions for how to get a sense of the beat for parts of songs like that where there's no audible beat? It's really difficult for me to keep strumming the chords at the same speed when I'm not sure what the beat is anymore...

"The resistance that you fight physically in the gym and the resistance that you fight in life can only build a strong character." - Arnold
HylianHero  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is gonna sound completely stupid, but this is how I do it. (I've only actually hit the ending a few times, so if somebody else comes in here, you might wanna take their suggestion over mine.)

When there's no beat at the end of the song, I find it good to make my own beat. I do this by anticipating the notes coming (ex: the chords at the end of Take Me Out). I then play all off of my eye and move my focus from the actual board over to the circle where you actually hit the note. Moving this focus allows you to actually see when the notes cross the circle, so when they do, strum. Once you get the first beat, concentrate on that circle and NOTHING ELSE and strum once any other note gets in. It's key to block out beat though, since that seems to get in the way a little bit.

Yes, it sounds stupid and it sounds exactly like what you would normally do when you're hitting any note, but it should work. It does for me at least.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off, I really like your topics you've got a good way of recognizing the game's details.

As for the fast strummed parts with no beat, it is difficult and I struggle as well. The way I try and figure them, once I have a general idea of the strumming speed I'll start at what I think is correct and try to remain steady. Then as HylianHero suggested by looking at the fret circle I'll notice if the notes are beginning to drift disappearing before or after the circle and I'll make slight speed adjustments as I go. Sometimes it works, and other times I'll just get a random miss and have no idea why, so it's tough.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does no one tap their foot while playing GH? I know I do ;)

EDIT: Or, ya know you could always download the song and give it a listen to get an idea
Hellion42  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maelstrom wrote:
Does no one tap their foot while playing GH? I know I do ;)

Yup... even when there's no drums, the measure bars still go by.

I could go into a rant about how silly it is to try to perfectly replicate a free/loose time performance in a rhythm game, but it should pretty much speak for itself.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 4:55 pm    Post subject: No Beat Reply with quote

If you've done it before you should just go with your beat.
rabies  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even though it has a beat..the one I struggle with the most is the fast orange note run in Texas Flood..

has anybody ever gotten that? It annoys me greatly. I flat think its just impossible.

..and Hellion has a point...trying to replicate perfectly something the original performer did in free/loose time is just ridiculous.
JHetfield0816  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

amen to that, rabies! i never understand the rhythm of that fast orange parts...maybe the only solution is to look in the note charts and see how it fits into the measures...i really haven't bothered to do that for Texas Flood yet.

"The resistance that you fight physically in the gym and the resistance that you fight in life can only build a strong character." - Arnold
rabies  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose you could count the number of notes...so at a minimum you know if you are supposed to stop on an up or down stroke (alternate picking)...and from there, just try to figure out exactly when to start and stop while getting that note count in....and keeping a continuous tempo going...

...the other thing that annoys me about that particular one, is that it is starred....so when developing a star path for that song, I have just learned to accept that I will never nail it, and not even count it for developing an optimal star path....

pah..
dspoonrt  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get the Texas Flood oranges most of the time. The chords at the end of Fly on the Wall give me much more trouble. I've only ever gotten those once.

"Power Surge," "Funk You," "Grindsaw Groove," and "DisorderlyConduct"
- all charted by dspoonrt

SkepticalMario  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I get to the fast orange notes on Texas Flood, I just strum as fast as I can. That usually works... except then I have no idea when to stop.

Bark at the Zoo
rabies  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dspoonrt wrote:
I get the Texas Flood oranges most of the time. The chords at the end of Fly on the Wall give me much more trouble. I've only ever gotten those once.

Whaa? No way! Exactly the opposite here...expect i have never gotten the Texas Flood part even once. I always screw up the part just before the chords on fly on the wall...
HylianHero  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in the same boat as the last two posts. I can't hit all of the oranges in Texas Flood, but I do strum and manage to hit most of them (I think my record is hitting all but the last two). I either undershoot it by about 5 notes or overshoot it and go into the yellows and strum too many times.

I have almost never missed the chords at the end of Fly on the Wall though....maybe it's just a psychological thing.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

(I swear, the tempo changes about halfway through this ending, but here's my opinion, regardless...)

The way I get the ending the best is to make myself hear those sixteenth notes being played in my head before the part actually comes. Just think of the "1&2&3&4&5&6&7&8" throughout the song and keep the beat in your head during the final chorus and outro. It should help you keep a steady strum going.

It still drives me nuts though, because if I mess up earlier in the song, I'll ace the ending. But if I'm in line for a FC, I'll mess up the ending. Sigh.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SkepticalMario wrote:
When I get to the fast orange notes on Texas Flood, I just strum as fast as I can. That usually works... except then I have no idea when to stop.

haha...that's my friends problem...heh...

along with every other factor in the game...

but he's come a long way and he's a newb at hard right now so...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Guitar/Bass All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: