http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oasnbzEMV08&feature=channel_video_title

New song is up. Thoughts?

Wow, all this time they had a bassist?
BreakingBenjamin  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

POKE-JJ wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oasnbzEMV08&feature=channel_video_title

New song is up. Thoughts?

It's pretty good. In my opinion, it isn't really amazing or anything, but it's still a good listen.

Going back to:
Quote:
“It all comes down to what the listener interprets. To me it’s a classic album of great progressive moments. I think we’ve really gone back to some of our classic glory, and at the same tine there’s still some of that progressive metal Dream Theater in there, but in a more controlled and less bombastic sense. It’s harnessed in a more complimentary direction that maybe Scenes From A Memory or Images And Words was. Progressive, but with those heavy elements in there, and not having one side overshadow the other. Melodically, the new album has come up to a whole new level; I was involved from beginning to end with the melodies. It’s extremely well balanced, and there’s some unbelievable interaction going on instrumentally on this album.”

I didn't really get that "Images and Words" or "Scenes From A Memory" feel the first few times I've listened to it so far. I guess the song is more in the direction of those albums, but I was expecting it to be a little more... melodic.

Regardless, I'm still very excited for this album.
TehBanStick  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I definitely hear the classic-ness in it.
Just fix those titles and all will be well.
xboxpro57  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds very throw back, to the days when they were more prog and less metal. Not that it's not metal, it's just not as metal as their last couple albums, especially Systematic Chaos. Granted, you can't predict how an album will sound based off one song, but I like where this is going. Agreed from above, I wish it was a little more melodic.

Hafkie  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Myung writes something of the same lyrical quality as his previous work, those songs will probably be the best on the album.

Learning to Live, Lifting Shadows off a Dream, Trial of Tears, and Fatal Tragedy are all in my top 10 favorite DT songs, and I've been wanting him to write more songs since forever ago.

I hate to say it... losing Portnoy may have been a blessing in disguise.
Parama  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the question is this:
Did you listen to DT just for the drumming?
If so, go cry for Portnoy while all the normal people tell you that you're stupid because Dream Theater's not about just drums.
Frankly I could care less, because Portnoy's awful rapping vocals will never be heard again. Great way to ruin ANTR, Portnoy.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Parama wrote:
Well the question is this:
Did you listen to DT just for the drumming?
If so, go cry for Portnoy while all the normal people tell you that you're stupid because Dream Theater's not about just drums.
Frankly I could care less, because Portnoy's awful rapping vocals will never be heard again. Great way to ruin ANTR, Portnoy.

BY THE GRACE OF GOD ABOVE, EVERYONE SURVIVED.

HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH

Oh, right, about the song: wasn't bad. Most apparent callback was the keyboard for me. Rudess did a good job of capturing that old school synth sound as well as throwing in more of his awesome piano. It's good to hear a Dream Theater song that's eased off the metal side of progressive metal and dug up some of the good old prog.
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: BigFatBob08
Nubnut  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's hard to say so far, but the song isn't too bad. It has the same problem as Black Clouds for me though, ya they're becoming more proggy. But it's nothing they haven't already done before, they just aren't experimenting anymore. (I accept to retract this statement if once the album comes out there's something that blows me away)

I mean, when Scenes from a Memory came out everyone went o.O at the Dance of Eternity, because it was so different from anything DT had tried before and it was just such a unique sound compared to everyone else out there. Where as I can point out to you every single band that DT was "heavily influenced" by for the last 4 albums. Which in essence was Portnoy's doing (ANTR, is an Opeth song in different clothing, Constant Motion is a Metallica song with more complex structure, and Never Enough IS a Muse song).

However, I still think it's going to be a major detriment to the band having Portnoy gone, as after watching some recent live videos from Italy the stage looks rather... Dead. Replacing Portnoy's lively and sometimes crazy antics with the extreme calmness of Mangini is a very strange turn for the DT live show. Especially so since Labrie now has to actually be a front man as opposed to just walking around on stage. Who knows, he might grow into it.
"THERE IS A DREAM I AM LIVING
THERE IS A LIFE I AM DREAMING OF"
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Gavesit
karatechess  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nubnut wrote:
It's hard to say so far, but the song isn't too bad. It has the same problem as Black Clouds for me though, ya they're becoming more proggy. But it's nothing they haven't already done before, they just aren't experimenting anymore. (I accept to retract this statement if once the album comes out there's something that blows me away)

My guitar instructor and I talk about this all the time, and it's what I feel about all Prog. Prog isn't progressive anymore. If anything it's regressive. I guess it can be called Reg now. Prog bands that start up nowadays try to sound like Yes and King Crimson, etc etc. Prog is about progressing to new forms of music, experimenting, pushing boundaries, not sounding like other prog bands.

Anyway, about the song, I thought it was decent. I'm not looking for them to be more proggy, I'm looking for them to go back to their former glory and no more Metallica covers. I could hear some of their older stuff in the song, which made me happy. And I think it'll be good that we don't have to hear about anymore of Portnoy's alcohol problems on an album to ruin the flow for a change.
blingdomepiece  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

karatechess wrote:
My guitar instructor and I talk about this all the time, and it's what I feel about all Prog. Prog isn't progressive anymore. If anything it's regressive. I guess it can be called Reg now. Prog bands that start up nowadays try to sound like Yes and King Crimson, etc etc.

Some don't, but the ones that get the most popular usually do. It's not that creative musicians don't exist, it's that musically lazy fans reward people fitting within a box vs. taking chances, even when that box defines itself in part (and increasingly ironically) as creative. Another issue is that if a band is sufficiently original that they don't have some Genesis/Crimson signposts, they probably will be classified as something other than prog, so the criticism becomes tautological.

I think it's a consequence of a number of factors -- mass media, instant communication, information availability, population self-segmentation by demographics -- that it's harder for an artist to develop an original voice.

Also, many people decide they want to learn to play music because they hear music that they really like, so it kind of makes sense that the young and raw would, at first, write bad imitations of better music when they're not playing covers.

Anyway here's some recent prog that I like. Definitely some King Crimson influence on it.
Hafkie  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nubnut wrote:
Especially so since Labrie now has to actually be a front man as opposed to just walking around on stage. Who knows, he might grow into it.

We're doomed.
BigFatBob  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hafkie wrote:
Nubnut wrote:
Especially so since Labrie now has to actually be a front man as opposed to just walking around on stage. Who knows, he might grow into it.

We're doomed.

FUCKING LOL.
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: BigFatBob08
Nubnut  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, I'm surprised no one else has posted this yet, now we get the first taste of Myung's writing since Fatal Tragedy.

A teaser for Breaking All Illusions:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4_5svB7Jpk&feature=player_embedded

This album went from most likely being between mediocre and meh, to potentially really damn good. Though the mix is still pretty awful... Sweet baby jesus those drums sound awful with that ridiculous compression.

(Seriously though, why the fuck hasn't Myung been writing for 12 years when he pulls stuff like this out of nowhere?)
"THERE IS A DREAM I AM LIVING
THERE IS A LIFE I AM DREAMING OF"
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Gavesit
RustyWaffle  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hafkie wrote:
Nubnut wrote:

We're doomed.

I LAUGHED SO FUCKING HARD AT THIS.

On topic: I just bought two tickets to see them this October. It's gonna be great since the venue I'm going to is smaller than my high school's auditorium and I got seats right behind the production booth.

My Drum Covers (Most recent: Muse - Stockholm Syndrome)
ShadoWolf wrote:
HellAshes wrote:
Everyone hates Nihilanth. I enjoyed making that guitar chart. D:
Fuck you HellAsses you fucking fucker
tormentedbyu  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nubnut wrote:
Hmm, I'm surprised no one else has posted this yet, now we get the first taste of Myung's writing since Fatal Tragedy.

A teaser for Breaking All Illusions:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4_5svB7Jpk&feature=player_embedded

This album went from most likely being between mediocre and meh, to potentially really damn good. Though the mix is still pretty awful... Sweet baby jesus those drums sound awful with that ridiculous compression.

(Seriously though, why the fuck hasn't Myung been writing for 12 years when he pulls stuff like this out of nowhere?)

Sufficiently sexual.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Music Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 37, 38, 39, 40  Next
Page 38 of 40

Jump to: